Adding usb external HDD to mirror some folder from another hdd

• OMV 3.x
    • Adding usb external HDD to mirror some folder from another hdd

Hi all, I'm running OMV3 on a raspberry pi2 B. I have an external USB hdd where I have some photos and data as a backup.
      Since a couple of weeks I started receiving warning mail from SMART related to this external usb hdd.
      I bought another external usb hdd (same capacity) and I want to setup OMV to "mirror" some folder from the old hdd to this new one.

Any hints?
    • Mr.Grape wrote:

mcgyver83 wrote:

Hi all, I'm running OMV3 on a raspberry pi2 B. I have an external USB hdd where I have some photos and data as a backup.
      Since a couple of weeks I started receiving warning mail from SMART related to this external usb hdd.
      I bought another external usb hdd (same capacity) and I want to setup OMV to "mirror" some folder from the old hdd to this new one.

Any hints?
      Copy / paste operation with cron or any solution for backup / synchronization of files.
      Perhaps GoodSync...
      What I want to achieve is the have something like raid 1: real time synch between folders on hdd_1 and on hdd_2.
      What about configuring e real raid 1 with an already filled disk?
      Is it possible?
    • mcgyver83 wrote:

Set up a rsync or rsnapshot job to mirror the two drives.

usb-backup plugin might also be a solution.
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - Seagate ST4000DM004 - OMV4.x
      Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - 16GB - 2x Seagate ST3000VN000 - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:
    • mcgyver83 wrote:

What about configuring e real raid 1 with an already filled disk?
      Using RAID in combination with RPi is not recommended. Many issues have been reported in the forums.
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:
    • mcgyver83 wrote:

I planned also to upgrade to omv4
      Clone your SD card first. If it's old and/or crappy and/or counterfeit an omv-release-upgrade might easily kill it.

If your SD card is not already a great performing compliant to A1 speed class this would be the first thing to do: buying a new A1 card, shutting down the board, cloning the card and continuing on the new card: forum.armbian.com/topic/954-sd-card-performance/
    • mcgyver83 wrote:

Ok, lt's setup something like 30s sync
      Is this really what you need/want? Some implications:

1. if you delete/modify a file by accident, it will be also deleted/modified on the second drive 30s later (deleted only, if you chose this option when setting up the rsync job)
      2. high load on the RPi (rsync job every 30s)
      3. your drives will never spin down
      4. in the first post you mention, that you receive error messages from SMART. If files are getting corrupted, they might also become corrupted on the second drive after 30s
    • Ok, I mixed raid, mirroring and scheduled backup topic together.
      I have a rpi2 with omv mainly as Media platoform (plex and dlna).
      I'm using also proftp to backup stuff (not business stuff but something that I take care of) from others devices to a shared folder placed on an external usb hdd attached to rpi.

So I have data on each device, a backup on this hdd as recovery.
      I started receiving smart alerts (not anymore, strange) from this hdd so I want to have a secondo backup also on a new hdd, so if one fails I still have a backup for something that is "live" also on others devices.
      So what I want to achieve is: original files on devices, backup1 on old hdd, backup2 new hdd.
      If old hdd fails I still have original and backup2, if device fails I have backup1 and backup2.

Now probably the easy thing could be to configure each automatic backup on each device to execute a twin backup: on old hdd and on new hdd.
      Cons: data transferred twice;
      Pro: nothing to do on omv platform;

Another solution: configure a single backup task for each device and configure OMV platform to execute a "twin copy" when the device backup happens (data transferred via ftp).

As @macom said: I miss that 30sec crontab avoid hdd spindown
    • For your purpose I suggest a simple rsync job to sync data from drive 1 to drive 2 once per day, every three days or even once per week. You can always start the job from the GUI of OMV.

For backup of clients to the NAS I like UrBackup very much.
    • mcgyver83 wrote:

I mixed raid, mirroring and scheduled backup topic together
      Instead of buzz words I would better focus on what really matters:

• data availability (that's the utterly useless RAID-1 stuff OMV users seem to love for reasons unknown to me)
      • data integrity (get a clue when bit rot happened and in best case be able to recover from this)
      • data protection (against various threats)
      Which home user needs high availability? No one.

Who should care about data integrity? Everyone.

Who should care about data protection? Also everyone.

I would do the job using two cheap SBC (of course never an RPi since they're worst choice possible for any NAS), btrfs on both, automated snapshots and transferring the snapshots via btrfs send/receive to the 2nd SBC that is in another location (other room, house, city).