Cannot make folders

• Dear reader, I am an absolute beginner and English is not my native language. Hence my questions may seem odd or stupid, please forigve me, I am ignorant when it comes to OMV.

I installed OMV onto an old PC a friend gave to me. I want to make a NAS so I put an 700Gb 3,5" hardisk in it and follwed Techno Dad's video to install OMV. When I get to the part where shared folders are made I get into trouble. The drop down list doesn't show any device to make the shared folder on. What did I do wrong?

To solve my problem I checked the "solutions to common problems" post, and searched the forum for users with the same issue, but couldn't find anything. Perhaps because I searched with the wrong keywords as English is not my native language. I suspected it had to do with mounting the drive, but the drive is mounted, so I see no reason why it is not possible to make a folder.

Is there anybody out there who is willing to help me to move on with my installation?

Thank you in advance, and with kind regards,

Laurens Swarte
    the Netherlands

• Offizieller Beitrag

A very efficient way to install OMV, on a system like your's, might be to boot OMV from a good quality 16-32GB USB-stick and use the WHOLE HDD for storage. It seems that is what OMV almost is designed for. (Make sure to have a backup USB-stick, cloned from the one in use.)

Or you could have a small HDD with OMV and a larger one for OMV to use as storage.

• Thank you for your replies.

The output from cat /proc/partitions is

Code
    major minor  #blocks  name                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         8        0  732574584 sda                                                                                                                                                       8        1  728396800 sda1                                                                                                                                                      8        2          1 sda2                                                                                                                                                      8        5    4174848 sda5

I wanted to use fdisk to change the partitions, but I found no way to shrink the partition sda1 to a reasonable size (I thought 5 Gb would be reasonable) If I understand it well, there is no free unpartitioned space available. Hence, I should remove all partitions, make new partitions starting with one that will contain OMV which I will have to install again. Is that correct?

Thank you for your reply, and with kind regards,

Laurens Swarte
    the Netherlands

• So I have installed Gparted on a USB stick.

After adding two partitions I tried to reboot OMV. It gave me a message it could not find the swap partition. So I rebooted Gparted and enlarged the extended partition that contained the swap partition and moved the swap partition to the left, next to the partition that contained OMV. Than I added several logical partitions to the right of the swap partition.

When I rebooted OMV it didn't work again. So I ran fsck /dev/sda1 which found some faults and repaired them. Than OMV worked again, and now I have several extra disks to work with. Unfortunately I am still not able to make any shared folders.

I do not understand why. OMV claims to be accesible to anyone without any deeper knowledge. Obviously I lack any knowledge and understanding why OMV is constructed this way.

Hence, I give up on OMV. A big "thank you" to all of you who helped me.

With kind regards,

Laurens Swarte
    the Netherlands.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I do not understand why. OMV claims to be accesible to anyone without any deeper knowledge. Obviously I lack any knowledge and understanding why OMV is constructed this way.

One "problem" is that you are not using OMV as it is supposed to be used. The concept of OMV is to have one complete drive for the OS (can be a USB thumb drive or even an SD card). For data you are supposed to have at least one additional disk.

It is possible to use OMV with just one disk for OS and data. But this does not work out of the box and needs some tweaking.

If you compare the number of downloads of the different ISOs and images with the number of posts in this forum, you will find that the number of posts is relatively small, which for me is evidence that OMV is very easy to use.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As I see it OMV is an extremly easy to use "appliance" if you boot from USB/SD card and have a whole single HDD for storage. And don't try to add too much more than simple file shareing.

But OMV can also be a program you add to an existing Linux install, but that requires much (?) more work and experience.

• macom: thank you very much. Your tip shows how little my knowledge is. I am an absolute beginner, and forgot to mount the drives. Now that I did, I can make a shared folder. Now I will, again, continue my search to understand OMV with the ultimate goal to make my own cloud drive.

By now I learned that I could better use a SBC to make a NAS with OMV. It is certainly a wish to do it this way, but for now I am depending on hardware that has been given to me.

Thank you very much for your help.

With kind regards,

Laurens Swarte
    the Netherlands

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!