I want to play video's on omv os. How ?

• OMV 4.x
    • I want to play video's on omv os. How ?

Hi

I was thainking thear might be a plugin or a terminal that will let me add a player. I thaink transmistion might be abel to play video from a terminal.

Might beabel to install omv in a vm on top of ubuntu ? I have odroid xu4 its a SBC ARM cpu.

Any pointers, sujestions ?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Share Buddy ().

• Share Buddy wrote:

I was thainking thear might be a plugin or a terminal that will let me add a player.
      Why would you want to play a video on a server that's designed to run headless (no monitor)?

OMV is a great place to store videos, in a shared directory, on the network. Browse to the share, and the video, with your favorite client (Linux, Windows, Mac) and play it from there.
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing
    • The easiest and best way to play video on your device would most likely be to install a nice Linux version with GUI and mediaplayers. Then install OMV on top of that. Expect reduced performance of OMV and some hassle with disk partitions. You'll need a seaparate storage partition.
      OMV 4.X.XX, 5 * ODROID HC2, 2 * Seagate IronWolf 12TB, 1 * 500 GB 860 EVO, Netgear GS316, ASUS Lyra

The post was edited 1 time, last by Adoby ().

• Share Buddy wrote:

I have odroid xu4 its a SBC ARM cpu

If I understood correctly you want to play videos locally on the HDMI port?

Most probably that's possible with our OMV image (since just being an Armbian Stretch with an optimized OMV install on top) but you could also use Meveric's Debian Stretch: forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=30552

If you then follow the official guide to install OMV4 on Debian Stretch you end up with an ultra slow OMV installation and your SD card or eMMC will wear out pretty fast.

Better idea: use the optimized OMV install as explained here (also more easy): Debian 9 on QNAP TS-210 + OMV

Then NAS functions will still be way slower compared to our OMV image but once you add this github.com/armbian/build/blob/…re-optimization#L103-L113 to e.g. /etc/rc.local performance should almost be the same.