It would appear as if cron-apt is not working on my system.

• Something I've noticed over the past couple of months is that cron-apt is not working on my primary NAS (Supermicro X9SCL-F with Core i3-2100). Searching the forums seems to indicate that this is highly unusual, so I started looking deeper, and I'm not finding much of anything.

By "not running" I mean "I ran it manually four days ago and updated stuff then, and when I look at Updates there's nothing listed, but if I click "Check" then it finds packages to update." It's actually not doing anything at all as far as I can tell, despite packages being available. From the limited logs that cron provides by default, I don't see any errors, and I do see it running as a cron job, but nothing comes of it.

Anyone seen anything like this before? This is on OMV 4.1.9.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Anything strange in /var/log/cron-apt/log?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Probably the strangest thing is that there's nothing in there. File was created April 23rd, and is completely empty. Last file date before that is April 16th for log.1.gz, and when I open that up it's from updates to Perl.

I'm not 100% positive, but I think this may have been right around when I upgraded from OMV3 to OMV4. I only mention it because there's tons of things that change in there that could've broken something.

I did try sudo apt-get install --reinstall cron-apt and it doesn't seem to have done anything useful; similarly I tried running /usr/sbin/cron-apt on the command line and nothing happens, nor are there log entries in syslog.

I'm kind of stumped.

• Offizieller Beitrag

cron-apt won't output anything when run. It should log though. What is the output of: grep -v "^#" /etc/cron-apt/config

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Yeah, I wasn't sure if cron-apt would output anything on the command line, but I figured worth a try. Output below, email masked to protect the guilty:

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is the same as mine. What about: grep -v "^#" /etc/cron.d/cron-apt

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not sure what else could be wrong. All of your setup is the same as mine. Permissions of the log directory?? Here are mine:

• I am having a similar problem. /var/log/cron-apt/log indicates proper operation, but I never get any notifications when there are software updates available.

Notifications for Software Updates is enabled (as are a few others which do work). Sending a Test Email from the Notifications page works. I am just never notified via email when there are pending software updates.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Going to try and do a purge and then reinstall, see if that makes a difference.

Purging cron-apt will uninstall OMV =O

• Offizieller Beitrag

I might have to install a fresh OMV 4 system to see if it is working.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!