Please help, about to throw pc out the window

• Where Windows 10 is concerned, rebuilding might not change anything. More than likely, you have an OEM version of Windows from a "Microsoft Partner", versus a retail build which could be considered (loosely) to be the baseline. In essence OEM's can (and do) alter Windows to suit their purposes which can significantly alter the build's security profile.

Well, the PC is custom built and windows is installed from the iso that i downloaded directly from microsoft, so it should be retail, right?

On your re-install's - doing several re-installs is not the same as getting it right. It's possible that you're doing something consistently wrong. (Don't take offense . "Stuff" happens, and this forum see's a lot of "stuff".)

Very much possible. I just hope that it keeps working now, otherwise ill just screenshot every single tab in the omv config and post it here :D
    I might just be overseeing something simple that keeps breaking stuff.

BTW: Shut down your R-PI cleanly - meaning use shut down in the web GUI, wait 2 to 3 minutes, then reset power. Doing dirty shutdowns may, eventually, corrupt your install.

Yeah, thats something i messed up on the very first try. I didnt just cut power of course, but i used ssh and shutdown now, and i feel like that broke something.
    From there onwards i always used the gui to shutdown.

• @flmaxey i already answered you, but it says my post has to be checked by a moderator. No idea why.

Today, i first turned the Pi on. Waited a bit. And then turned the PC on.
    After boot, the pc complained that it couldnt mount the network drive, and after clicking on it asked me for a password .....
    No password or username configuration worked, for like 3 minutes.
    Then, after entering the same thing like 4 times, it simply mounted it.
    Maybe the Pi wasnt quite ready yet? I dont know, will do further testing.

Then, i went into the web gui, restarted the pi and then restarted my pc.
    Now, i cant log into the share at all anymore. No username or password combination gets accepted.

@henfri How do i do that? I went into the SMB tab, set the log level to full and saved. But when i check the systemlogs tab, the smb log stays empty.

EDIT:

Ok, login per IP seems to work. Changing the network name and then using that to login seems to work aswell.
    I will now assign a static IP to the pi and keep testing.

• Offizieller Beitrag

R-PI's are notoriously slow. A symptom of being overworked, when they're running at 100% of CPU is, they don't answer the network. And that can look like an access control problem and the Web GUI may not respond either. (This is on page 8 of the guide, BTW.)

If you're going to use an R-PI as a NAS, you shouldn't multitask it. In essence, it can be used as a simple file server for 1 or 2 users, but I wouldn't add any additional server functions.

Since you have all those Laptops laying around, have you thought of, maybe, repurposing an old one as an OMV server? Most laptops are power efficient and your external drive (or dock) will plug into a USB port.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, the PC is custom built and windows is installed from the iso that i downloaded directly from microsoft, so it should be retail, right?

Yep, if you downloaded direct from M$, you have one of the cleanest consumer Windows builds available. (The cleanest possible build is only available to corporate customers, as installed by their own admin's.)

Yeah, thats something i messed up on the very first try. I didnt just cut power of course, but i used ssh and shutdown now, and i feel like that broke something.From there onwards i always used the gui to shutdown.

"shutdown now" VIA ssh is fine, but it still takes a minute or so for any pending disk (or sd-card) writes to complete. When the drive light stops flashing, it's safe to toggle power.

@flmaxey i already answered you, but it says my post has to be checked by a moderator. No idea why.

This happens when posting and immediately editing the completed post, especially if it's long. It happens to me more than I care to admit. :) The moderator intervention queue is spam protection for the forum.

• Well, the PI is more of a test than a planned nas build. Im trying to understand OMV.
    My plan was a rock64 as a nas with omv, but i have a few pi's laying around doing nothing, so i wanted to test the whole thing on a PI first.
    For now, the share is still accessible from my PC. Gonna see if its still there tomorrow :D

In contrast to my PI's, most of those laptops are still in use tho.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Back next weekend - let us know how it goes.

BTW: If the R-PI stops answering the network, you can SSH in and use top on the command line. (Just type top and enter. It will refresh every few seconds.)

If you see the R-PI at 100% on the CPU, a lot, you'll know what's going on and you'll see what's causing it (on the right).

• Hey, that command is pretty neat. The most cpu usage i can see during smb copying is somewhere around 60%, never gets higher than that.

Another problem tho:

When i copy files to a usb 3 usb stick, speed is kinda bumpy but overall reasonably fast:

But when i copy something to a hard drive thats connected via a usb 3 to sata converter, its like this:

First pretty fast, but then slows down to a crawl. When its slow, the drive itself makes some pretty unhealty noises, constant clicking, so i stopped the copy.

Is this something that could be gone once i do the actual project with a Rock64 (USB3). Maybe the USB2 PI doesnt like the USB3 adapter?

Im gonna format the drive with a different filesystem now and see if that changes anything.

Or should i get a USB3 to sata converter that specifically supports linux? Mine doesnt, but it works perfectly on my PC and doesnt limit the speed of the drive at all.

(The drive is healty and fast, that cant be the problem)
    (The sata to usb converter i used does have an external 12V power brick)

• First pretty fast, but then slows down to a crawl. When its slow, the drive itself makes some pretty unhealty noises, constant clicking, so i stopped the copy.

Raspberry Pi is the most terrible choice for a NAS possible. Suffers from underpowering and crappy USB setup (and ignorance/stupidity surrounding this board). Forget about any experiences with this crappy hardware and choose something more reliably (tons of better energy efficient ARM boards available).

• As i said earlier, im planning to use a Rock64. I just wanna know if this issue is likely to go away once i use the Rock64 instead of the Rpi.

EDIT:

Just changed the HDD filessystem from ext4 to xfs. VERY stable speed of 11,2-11,4 MB now, so its just limited by the 100mbit lan.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Drives that make "unhealthy" noises and clicking sounds may be on the verge of failure. Go into Storage, SMART, and enable it in the Settings tab. Then go to the Devices Tab, click on your drive, and the Information button. In the pop-up, click on the Attributes tab. (The Extended Tab will give you attributes and more.) The attribute to take note of, that's common on all hard drives to include external drives is "5", reallocated sectors. 0 on the raw count is, obviously, best. A few would be OK, but any count beyond 0 would be a indicator to watch the drive closely.

As you close in on what works well for you, don't forget about backup. All drives fail eventually. If you don't backup your data, it's just a matter of time until you lose it.

• Dont worry, i do regulary checks on smart values on all my drives. This one also has 0 reallocated sectors.
    With xfs as the filesystem, everything works as it should. No more weird noises.
    When i get the Rock64 nas, im just planning to store some movies on it and stream them to other clients in the network.
    If the drive fails, oh well, doesnt really matter. No valuable data.

• Ok, update after a few days: Everything is working fine.
    I am pretty sure that the change from hostname to static IP fixed the Problems. I am not sure what went wrong before, but something did.

The shared folder stays linked after reboots, and even if I start the PC first and the PI a lot later, Windows still logs into the share once its availible.

Gonna click buy on the Rock64 now and get the planned build going.

Thanks everyone!

• Glad you've worked it out.
    Just my 15 cents... Windows 10 is crap, especially in networking.
    I've observed during years, that it has constant problems with network drive mapping - that's why I'm only using IPs, not drive letters.

• Offizieller Beitrag

that's why I'm only using IPs, not drive letters

If your dns system is good, there is no reason why hostname would work any worse than the IP.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm talking about drive letters in Windows (C:, D:, E:, .., X:), not domains.

I wasn't talking about domains either. A drive letter is what you create when mapping a remote share. You said you use an ip address instead. You can't use the drive letter of a remote share (yes, i know the hidden admin share exists with the $ symbol). I was just saying you don't have to use the ip address. If browsing to the share works better than mapping the share to a drive letter, then your network must have some issues. I have used both with no issues for years (at least since win nt4 days).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok, update after a few days: Everything is working fine.
    /---/

It's good that you're set.
    If you ever get really frustrated again, don't throw the (Win10) PC out the window. I'll help you get rid of it,,, by paying the postage.... :)

Glad you've worked it out.
    Just my 15 cents... Windows 10 is crap, especially in networking.
    I've observed during years, that it has constant problems with network drive mapping - that's why I'm only using IPs, not drive letters.

If IP addresses work for you, that's what's important. If you want to map drives again (as in drive letters) using host names, take a look at this Win10 Connect guide. With a tweak or two , Win10 might become a bit more network friendly.

(But I do agree with your assertion that Win10 is crap for networking. Unfortunately, I believe it was by design.)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!