Please help, about to throw pc out the window

• Hi,
    i just have no idea what else to to, and id love to get some help for my problem.
    I've got omv running on a rpi3.
    I've got a shared smb folder with guests allowed, so everyone in my network should be able to access it without username or password.
    After setting this up, i simply added the share as a network drive to windows explorer. Everything works fine.
    But, after rebooting once, the share is disconnected and from now on, wants me to enter a username and password. (And yes, i tried nobody)
    I also created users in omv with enough permissions, but those dont work for the windows smb login.
    More reboots dont help either. It just works once after setting it up, but then never again.
    Anyone got an idea?
    Btw, accessing the share from my android phone works fine without ever entering any username or password.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you watch the video about how to set this up? Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yes, i think i did everything exactly as shown.
    Got all the updates, changed the root password, formatted to ext4 etc.
    Its just weird that it works once, but never again but my phone has no problem at all.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are the systems using the same workgroup? I assume you are using a Windows 10 system with an email login username?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Every PC i have uses the workgroup "WORKGROUP", i havent changed that. Thats also the one that omv uses.
    On Windows 10 i use the traditional local account with just username and password. No Email login.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does the user exist on the Windows system and OMV with the same password?

• Yup, got that user set up in omv too. Hes in the group users and has r/w permissions for the shared folder.

Also did a clean reinstall of windows yesterday because of this problem, but its still the same.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have done this hundreds of times and not had this problem. Maybe your samba password is out of sync with your system passwd? Try changing the user's password in OMV.

• I did that a couple of times already, but no luck. I also added other users in omv, but windows doesnt accept those either.
    I also updated the SMB password of that user via SSH using the command from here https://forum.openmediavault.o…Samba-Share-Types-in-OMV/
    Also installed the permission reset plugin and did that.
    Also reset the net use list of windows.

EDIT:
    Ok, now got another sdcard with a clean installation of omv with the step by step video.
    Everything currently works (just like it did before). Ive got my shared folder mounted in windows and can read and write files just fine.
    Havent restarted the PC yet tho.

• Alright, everything is installed once again.
    Just after finishing the config, everything works.
    Ive got it set up as guests allowed, so i dont need to enter anything.
    After PC-Restart 1, everything works.
    After PC-Restart 2, everything works.
    After PC-Restart 3, everything works.
    After PC-Restart 4, Windows asks for a username and password.
    I didnt change anything on the Pi, all i did was restart my PC and move a couple photos to and from the pi.
    From now on, i cant do anything with the share without a username and password.
    Even when i enter the username and password of the user that i set up in omv, it doesnt get accepted.
    Entering nobody doesnt work either.

I might just buy a nas or something, this is just way too frustraiting to be something I do in my freetime.
    I'd still greatly appreciate any input or other ideas tho.

• I have switched between only guests, guests allowed and not public many times.
    Leaving everything blank doesnt work, only entering something in user doesnt work, entering nobody doesnt work, entering the user and password i made doesnt work.
    It simply says username/password incorrect. Every time.

• Ive looked through it and everything obvious is correct. I have however not disabled SMB3 or edited the host file.

BTW: I just set up nextcloud on the pi and enabled SMB, and there i can log into the share with the username and password.

Mapping the shared folder in windows also stays beyond PC restarts, so the core SMB function works just fine.

However, nextcloud is not really perfect for my needs, and i would still prefer OMV. I just dont know whats wrong.

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. If you just enabled SMB - there was no way you would have successfully open network shares, on a Windows machine, before.

2. If you have mapped shared folders (network drives) that stay beyond PC restarts and shortcuts to OMV that work after restarts, even on a single client, on this may point toward a permissions issue.

There are two layers of permissions that must agree. If you want everyone on your network to have access, check that the base Shared Folder (under Access Management, Shared folder, select the shared folder, then click on the ACL button) and set Others to Read/Write (set the recursive option on).

Also, if you set up a centralized folder (like Serverfolders) with your shared folder set a sub-directory under it, it's permissions should be set to Others Read/Write as well. (The entire path.)

With the Shared Folder set to Others Read/Write and the SMB network share that's layered on top of it set to Guests Allowed, there's nothing barring client access.

• Offizieller Beitrag

How about setting up a new share exactly as outlined in this guide, starting on page 43. Guide

Then see if you can access it, with a mapped drive or through a shortcut, and copy files into and out of it.

• Thats how ive been doing it the last few times too.

Ive always created a shared folder where everyone has r/w access, and then allowed guests on the SMB.

The point is that it works fine, but stop working after a few PC restarts. It then starts asking for username and password, even if guests allowed or guests only is set.

• Offizieller Beitrag

First, I'd also want to test access to the OMV server with another client, a borrowed laptop or something. (Preferably something that's NOT Windows 10.) A client that connects for 3 reboots but consistently fails after the 4th reboot, points to the client - not the server.

There are some remote possibilities, such as a DHCP server that's changing the lease (ip address) of OMV, but again, that would be remote. Also, security settings on the router and firewall settings on the Windows client should be reviewed.

Did you use the New User Guide to build and set up? It's not good to rely on DHCP to assign an address to your server. OMV should have a static address outside of the DHCP server's scope and it should have a public DNS server configured, like Googles DNS servers 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4.

To eliminate software, it might be time to rebuild. Without a 2nd client to check connections to the server, I'd rebuild . This time, (using the guide) verify the MD5 check sum of the image, test your SD card, etc. It's the only way to be sure.

Other possibilities might include hardware, a marginal power supply for the R-PI or, if you're using a drive in a media dock, there may be issues with it. Is a USB hub involved?,, etc.
    ____________________________________________________________________________

While I've been trying to stay on top of the changes, maybe, something has changed with Windows 10, AGAIN. Sometimes it takes awhile for security changes and settings to filter it out to the world.

You might consider disabling SMB3. It certainly won't hurt anything. If you read the note, for the SMB3 step in Connecting Windows 10, it's easy to re-enable SMB3.

• First of all, thanks for your effort.
    Ive already done a complete clean install of Windows 10 yesterday, so the configurations of windows should all be unchanged.
    The image of omv is MD5 verified, and has been reinstalled multiple times too.
    Accessing with my android phone works fine, but i dont restart that as often as my pc, so i will have to check that again later.
    Also, its not always the 4th reboot. To me, it seems really inconsistent.

Right now, ive got it set up with omv again, and currently everything is working. This time, ive set it up to ONLY allow users with login and password. Every guest option is disabled.
    I can still access the share from my phone, if I enter the username and password of my PC. This is working flawlessly now.
    I have multiple laptops availible for testing, and will try those in the future, but not now, gotta get some sleep :D

Next (probably tomorrow), i will restart my pc and the RPI multiple times to see if the issue is gone.

Again, thanks for the help. I hope this works out in the end.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ive already done a complete clean install of Windows 10 yesterday, so the configurations of windows should all be unchanged.

Where Windows 10 is concerned, rebuilding might not change anything. More than likely, you have an OEM version of Windows from a "Microsoft Partner", versus a retail build which could be considered (loosely) to be the baseline. In essence OEM's can (and do) alter Windows to suit their purposes which can significantly alter the build's security profile.

On your re-install's - doing several re-installs is not the same as getting it right. It's possible that you're doing something consistently wrong. (Don't take offense :) . "Stuff" happens, and this forum see's a lot of "stuff".)

The guide was suggested as nothing more than a reference and a sanity check.

BTW: Shut down your R-PI cleanly - meaning use shut down in the web GUI, wait 2 to 3 minutes, then reset power. Doing dirty shutdowns may, eventually, corrupt your install.

Good Luck

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!