Planning Build - Backup Advice

• Hi All :D

I am currently looking to start an OMV server at home. It will hold all media (obviously lol) as well as be a place to link home directories and somewhere I can have an offline backup solution for my Steam/GOG libraries. I have a machine that I want to do it in, an i3 with 8GB RAM, and am planning out the storage. My current thinking is 3/4 drives of probably 3/4TB in RAID 5 to add some resiliency and also have just one virtual drive to deal with. However I would like to also have a proper backup. This is where I am stuck. I did think tape drive but the cost of the drive and tapes is silly so I am thinking HDD with some form of incremental backup that can expand as the my storage usage goes up.

So with that setting up my question: (is there a/what is the best way) to have OMV backup to another disk and then move onto another one once it is full? USB is the obvious connection and I can get one of those cheap docks to do it with. Would be possible to also do it with a some compression to help reduce the size needed of the backup disks?

Any help is greatly appreciated :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are many options.

My plans are to have (at least) two backup NAS. My main NAS will be (is) an Odroid HC2 with a 12TB HDD. Some of that (the parts I care about and can't easily replace) will be backed up to an identical HC2 with 12TB HDD using rsync. Possibly using snapshots to get versioning. Then I will use my old Synolygy 411j NAS with 4x4TB HDDs as backup for the documents-folders on my PC and my laptop. Also extra backup for extra valuble stuff. Also using rsync and snapshots.

I will most likely sync between NAS:es daily. documents/edits between Laptop/PC and backup NAS whenever I change stuff. I snapshot automatically when I quit some apps, like calibre.

In addition I have some USB HDDs I will rotate for offsite backup of really important stuff. I also use the phone and the laptop for that. Book-keeping stuff, family photos, copies of insurances, deeds and tax reports and so on.

I have a gigabit network switch and a pretty fast wifi network

One nice thing about a HC2-based NAS is that it is small and easy to move. And pretty fast over gigabit network, especially when "snapshotting". Good for a backup device.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• My current thinking is 3/4 drives of probably 3/4TB in RAID 5 to add some resiliency

If you have backup for what do you need RAID then? RAID is only about availability. It doesn't do data protection and RAID-5/6 helps only partially with data integrity. BTW: RAID5 with large disks is not recommended anyway: https://serverfault.com/questi…sks-failed-simultaneously. It's just a useless waste of disks and energy.

a HC2-based NAS is that it is small and easy to move. And pretty fast over gigabit network

I bet that all the HC2 out there with our optimized settings are faster than 99.9% percent of x86 based energy wasting NAS boxes.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!