disk unmounted alone

• OMV 4.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• disk unmounted alone

Hi,
      I am new to OMV but I succeed in installing and make it work properly.

then I have installed and mounted a first HDD with no issue.
      after a week, I decided to mount a second HDD and succeed. I have transfered datas on it with no issue.

a few days later, I discovered an issue with second HDD. my computer could browse the content but when I launch an AVI file, windows told me that the file was missing (on all AVI or MKV of the harddrive).

so I reboot my OMV machine and then I see in the GUI that the hard drive is not mounted anymore.
      HDD is visible in the disk list but the status is "missing" in the file system.
      If I go on the command line and type "fdisk _l" the hdd is here under /dev/sdc

it is like the mounted disk dismounted itself and I can't get back.

please help me, I have done many search but could not find the solution
    • New

I have experienced similar problems with my HC2s and Seagate IronWolf HDDs.

I figured out that if I modified any the physical disk properties: (Edit on the Disk).

Advanced Power Management
      Automatic Acoustic Management
      Spindown Time
      Write Cache

...then the HDDs would unmount themselves after a short while, and fail to mount on reboot. And a backup system drive SD-card had to be used to recover. I couldn't figure out how to repair the configuration. But I didn't work on it very long.

Some research seems to indicate that some Seagate HDDs are incompatible with hdparm, which I assume OMV uses? Instead you are supposed to use SeaChest Power Control tools, made by Seagate. Other HDDs may also be incompatible.

I have not investigated further, my HDDs work fine on default settings, even if they spin down a little too fast for my taste. Less than a minute when idle. I would prefer 10 minutes or so.

I might try the SeaChest in the future.

Try reinstalling and don't touch the edit button on the hdd. It might help?
      OMV 4.X.XX, 5 * ODROID HC2, 2 * Seagate IronWolf 12TB, 1 * 500 GB 860 EVO, Netgear GS316, ASUS Lyra
    • New

Adoby wrote:

I have not investigated further, my HDDs work fine on default settings, even if they spin down a little too fast for my taste. Less than a minute when idle. I would prefer 10 minutes or so.

Hmm this is quite fast, at least for me. My hdd is set to 300 minutes.
      Have you tried setting time(-t 10) in JMS578 firmware? It works in HC1, it may work in HC2...
      I'm not an expert. I'm just a tourist here.

- ODROID-HC1 (Samsung Exynos5422, 2GB LPDDR3 RAM, Gigabit Ethernet)
      - Sandisk Ultra 16GB A1 "SDSQUAR-016G-GN6" (btrfs)
      - Samsung SpinPoint M8 1TB (ext4)
      - OMV 4.1.11 / ARMBIAN 5.60 + Kernel 4.14.69
    • New

Mr.Grape wrote:

Hmm this is quite fast, at least for me. My hdd is set to 300 minutes.
      Have you tried setting time(-t 10) in JMS578 firmware? It works in HC1, it may work in HC2..
      No, I haven't. But I might try it. Thanks for that!

Is this the best description of the process: wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/software/jms578_fw_update
      OMV 4.X.XX, 5 * ODROID HC2, 2 * Seagate IronWolf 12TB, 1 * 500 GB 860 EVO, Netgear GS316, ASUS Lyra
    • New

Adoby wrote:

Is this the best description of the process: wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/software/jms578_fw_update
      Yes. It should work. I did similar with HC1.
      I'm not an expert. I'm just a tourist here.

- ODROID-HC1 (Samsung Exynos5422, 2GB LPDDR3 RAM, Gigabit Ethernet)
      - Sandisk Ultra 16GB A1 "SDSQUAR-016G-GN6" (btrfs)
      - Samsung SpinPoint M8 1TB (ext4)
      - OMV 4.1.11 / ARMBIAN 5.60 + Kernel 4.14.69