Low power server build help

• So I wish I would be posting with specifics but I'm on the hunt for parts and my head is spinning so I thought I'd pop in and see if you guys with the experience could give me some advice.

I'd like to build a small NAS to replace my aging Win7 desktop for some of my functions. After a bit of research I stumbled on OMV which seems to be fantastic fit for what I'm wanting. Here's my wish list:

• 2-3 TB storage space
    • Some level of redundancy for data failure prevention (Raid? Secondary backup?)
    • Low powered always on
    • Run Plex Server with DVR, LetsEncrypt, Duckdns, SABNzb, FTP, Home Assistant as plugin (docker?)
    • Expandable if needed by adding additional drives

The sticky bit is the Plex Server as I am also using the DVR functionality which basically pulls television programs from a Silicon Dust network tuner and saves these streams to disk. All my Plex clients are Android TV boxes (x3) and they all support direct play of my media so the server does not need to do any transcoding. I do see, however, that IO is important as I could have several video recording streams being pulled down at the same time.

I've considered the RPi3 as I already have one but from my reading this device is sharing USB and networking on the same bus and will probably be way too limited. Is there another single board computer that would be a better fit than the RPi3? I saw someone suggesting the Asrock J3455 cpu/mb combo.

To add a further wrinkle, I'd like to keep the cost down to around or less than $100 (not including hard drives of course). I am fine with buying used/refurb.

Am I out of mind to think I can get something to do these functions for this price point or is there an option out there?

Many thanks!

*EDIT* For clarity, I did check out the post Which energy efficient ARM platform to choose? and am wondering if what I'm asking to do with the additional plugins is feasible on this type of hardware or if I should go with something more powerful and more energy inefficient.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!