How long for a RAID5 build up?

• Hi there!

First of all, I apologize for my poor english. Hey, I'm French ;)
    I recently discovered Openmediavault after several years without a NAS (my first one was based on freenas, almost 7 years ago.

Nevertheless, I needed to build a NAS in order to make use of all the HDD I've got, and in order to build a 'data storage in the closet'.

So I gathered an old motherboard with a Dual Core E5200 and 2 Gigs of RAM, and installed 9 (unused) hdd of several sizes along with ARRAKIS version

Everything went (almost fine) until I asked to build a RAID5 with 4 of the 1TB HDD.
    The process as been along for almost two days now, and I'm asking myself if I've missed something or done something wrong.

Does building up a RAID5 on 4x1TB takes so long?
    Should I manually shut down the NAS and start all over again, being more cautious about something?

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Thanks for the tip!

Here we go!

cat /proc/mdstat

for the dmesg command, well, it answered me that it couldn't find de curl command...

And a good surprise, the two RAID I asked for finally appeared. But that took quite a while. Hardware problem?

• [=======>.............] resync = 36.9% (361014376/976631296) finish=7673.7min speed=1337K/sec

That's a catastophe.

Even the most crappy 'NAS setup' ever (an el cheapo single board computer with ultra slow SATA and a crappy port multiplier) is at least 10 times faster: https://forum.armbian.com/topi…findComment&comment=39590

Something's seriously wrong. I wouldn't trust into your RAID at all (especially if you have no backup).

A RAID-5 rebuild is linear/sequential, this has to happen at +100 MB/s with a 'normal PC'. Asides from that RAID-5 is a terrible choice anyway. But too tired to repeat myself over and over again.

• it answered me that it couldn't find de curl command

Installing a missing command on Debian/OMV is usually as easy as

Code
    sudo apt-get install curl

And if this does not work then you should use the built-in diagnostic tools (providing syslog at least): https://openmediavault.readthe…features.html#diagnostics

• Hi there!

Sorry for the delay, real life caught up (family and friends@home).
    I've read the topic concerning the crappy port multiplier, and guess what, there's a crappy one in my build!
    Didn't think that it was 'that' crappy.
    Going to change the connections to leave only the pata one on it (yes, there are some pata in my build.

I read also the topic on the RAID5, and just to make everything clear, this setup isn't a ultimate backup build. Its purpose is to leave on a server the data that I sometime use, but not the essential/critical one.
    All critical data are:
    - stored in the main pc
    - duplicated once a week on a professional cloud
    - copied every quarter to an external HDD stored in a bank.

What will be on the server are images, videos, saved game folders, designs I've made and all sort of things that I don't really care of. If I will loose them, well, I'll be sad but hey, doesn't really matter.

The purpose of the RAID 5 is to store several ebooks I have and based on the calibre tool. The originals are stored on an other HDD, himself duplicated every month or something.
    The idea was that I wanted to make the backup somewhat automatic between my main pc, my server and within my server itself (the ebooks). And learn also how everything works by the same way ;)

Talking about learning, I'll modify my connections to connect the 4 HDD on which I want to build the RAID 5.
    I thought that the RAID5 will allow me to store a maximum of document and books to make them accessible by Caliber, and take the advantage of some sort of speed and somehow a 'light' security due to the RAID5 structure.
    Bad thinking? What would you advice?

I'll install the CURL command and otherwise will run the Diagnostic tools.
    Feel free to redirect me to any forum threads usefull (didn't read yet all the threads concerning diagnostics and repair procedures in debian)

I'll give you feedback on this as soon as I'll progress.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!