Recommended setup for 2HDD

• Hello. I'm building my first NAS with OMV. I've learnt a lot in the process (file formats, transmission protocols, etc.), but I haven't been able to decide on the best backup/sync strategy. My current setup is OMV on an ODROID C2 with two 2TB hard drives (HDD1 and HDD2) formatted in ext4, no raid, no nothing. I want to achieve the following

• 5 shared folders in HDD1, to which I want to backup more or less regularly from my Mac (I've used chronosync app, which I believe is a complete GUI for rsync, I have also tried rsyncOSX with less success). This backup/sync can be manual or scheduled. There are also a few other shared folders with more static content (audio samples, movies, etc).
    • Sync/clone HDD1---> HDD2, also manually or scheduled.

I am achieving point 1, but point 2 is giving me a hard time. If I do it using rsync in OMV, I have to create another set of shared folders (with different names than HDD1 because apparently I can't repeat them although they are in different discs) in HHD2 and create a job to sync each one.
    Which would be the best way to do this? I have read a lot and realized RAID1 is not recommended for backup. Also I want to decide when to sync HDD1 and HDD2, which is nos possible with RAID1. SnapRaid sounds better, but I don't think it is recommended for my purposes.
    thanks

• ODROID C2

Almost the same as a Raspberry Pi since all USB2 ports are behind an internal USB hub (only network is on an own bus), so everything applies wrt RAID-1: Unable to create a RAID 1 array

I'm am Mac user too and I only use TimeMachine since this is the only reliable way to backup everything important including metadata to a network share (TM does this by putting some sort of a disk image on top of the AFP share: a so called sparsebundle). Sync tools that do no versioning are no backup tools since backup needs versions to protect from human or software mistakes.

My attempt with your hardware would be two AFP shares with TM enabled on each disk and attaching only one at the same time to the OMV host so your Mac will be backed up with two independent backup histories to two different disks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!