My Home Server/NAS

• Hey everyone,

I have a HP MIcroserver (Gen8) running OMV 4.x on an SSD that is connected to the internal ODD port.

For drives I have 4 X 3TB WD red drives. These are currently just in a JBOD setup although I have plans to install bigger drives and arrange them in a RAID 5 array.

I use this mainly as a plex server with Sonarr, Radarr & Lidarr to manage all my media. These are all running in Docker.

The CPU is only a Celeron but it does the job. I could upgrade to a Xeon but i think if i'm going to do that, i may as well upgrade the whole thing. For the time being its fine.

Anyone else using a GEN8? Can anyone recommend a good Mobo+CPU combo that supports ECC ram and is fairly cheap?

OMV 4.1.26-1 (Arrakis)
    HP Proliant Microserver Gen 8
    Intel Celeron CPU G1610T
    8GB ECC RAM

• I`m using Gen8, but i`m not so tech savy as u are.

Dont forget Gen8 supports disks till 4tb.

Quote:
    "Can anyone recommend a good Mobo+CPU combo that supports ECC ram and is fairly cheap?"
    ...u should go i this direction: ASRock H170M-ITX/ac (or similar with 6 sata ports)
    But in the and with all goodies u and up with 600€

So,better stay for time beaing with HP.

I do have one question i found very important!
    We use the same HP and hardware setup.
    Do u use also a sd/usb stick(internal) boot with grub?
    Or without and still able to boot up normaly?

• I do have one question i found very important!
    We use the same HP and hardware setup.
    Do u use also a sd/usb stick(internal) boot with grub?
    Or without and still able to boot up normaly?

I have managed to boot directly from the Ssd connected to the ODD port. Configured as Raid 0

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

OMV 4.1.26-1 (Arrakis)
    Intel Celeron CPU G1610T
    8GB ECC RAM

• Offizieller Beitrag

Um, no. Even my NL40 will take bigger disks than that. What makes you think it can only handle 4TB disks?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Well,that`s what they say-there is a guy on this forum who works at HP.
    As in white sheets info.

Of course,this info is only about HP Gen8 Proliant microserver.
    Gen10 can recive bigger hdd`s than 4tb.

• I have managed to boot directly from the Ssd connected to the ODD port. Configured as Raid 0

Hmmm,strange...when i was installing the first time few years ago,even with raid0 ssd i needed to put a grub on usb.
    This time is working without a grub on usb stick.
    Strange strange strange.

• Yeah I think it was an update for the microserver itself that allowed it. It does lose the array on some reboots and I have to use intelligent provisioning to say its there again. I think I have some sort of firmware problem which is another reason for me wanting to upgrade to a new server build.

OMV 4.1.26-1 (Arrakis)
    Intel Celeron CPU G1610T
    8GB ECC RAM

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well,that`s what they say-there is a guy on this forum who works at HP.
    As in white sheets info.

Of course,this info is only about HP Gen8 Proliant microserver.
    Gen10 can recive bigger hdd`s than 4tb.

The Gen8 is newer than the N40L. So, while I don't have a Gen8, I don't believe a newer server wouldn't be able to use a drive bigger than 4TB. Are you referring to Spy Alelo? Where is the post?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Yes, it is a user Spy Alelo. But a post about it i can not recon.
    As far as i remember there was first support till 3Tb,later HP made it by firmware support till 4Tb.
    Everyone who use "Gen8" 4Tb drives or less".As i said even in "white pages" stud support till 4Tb.

I do have i 8tb drive in Synology nas.If i put in Omv,if is not suported what kind of message should i resive?

Perhaps is best to contact Spy Alelo about this object?

• Offizieller Beitrag

No....look here and an N54L with 18TB and the full N40L, N54L forum.

A quote from a user on spiceworks 'Drive size support comes down to what they have tested' by that he means HP.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As far as i remember there was first support till 3Tb,later HP made it by firmware support till 4Tb.
    Everyone who use "Gen8" 4Tb drives or less".As i said even in "white pages" stud support till 4Tb.

You have to remember that not all documents are updated for older servers. When it was written, 4tb drives might have been all that was available.

I do have i 8tb drive in Synology nas.If i put in Omv,if is not suported what kind of message should i resive?

This has nothing to do with OMV since it works with whatever the system presents to it. Some systems won't "see" the drive at all. Others will just see the amount of space they support. I don't think you will have to worry about it.

Perhaps is best to contact Spy Alelo about this object?

No need. There are plenty of Gen8 owners on this forum and other places.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!