Plex Media Server transcoding issue on oDroid XU4

• Hi everyone - I tried searching around on the forums but couldn't seem to get very far, probably because I'm not sure what to type into the Search field.

TL;DR is I have OMV4 and its installed Plex plugin running okay, but when I try to open a Plex Plugin (Comedy Central, Paramount, BBC, and others) the clip list displays but no clips will play. iPhone Plex client says "Couldn't create the playback session for this item" and my LG-TV Plex client simply says "Error opening [item]." I have a feeling it has something to do with transcoding, but I'm not sure how to give Plex the proper path for a Transcode folder, on my oDroid XU4.

I think I have looked at all the guides I can find, but they basically just explain how to get Plex up and running under OMV4. Technically, the main guts of Plex are working, it plays videos of almost any format, just not anything from the Plugins / Channels. I am not using "unsupported channels" either, these are straight from the Plex Web GUI > Online Content > Install Plugin > BBC (for example). But since it's under OpenMediaVault the Plex support folks say it's an OMV problem.

I have set my region to United States, am not behind a VPN, and have all standard network settings on all the different kinds of devices (iPhone, LG-TV). So it's a server side issue I think. I've tried Direct Play on and off, Direct Stream on and off, different bitrates, different H.264 levels, different Plugins, no change no matter what I've clicked so far. Unless there's a combination I've missed.

I am using the Plex plugin, not the Docker version. Unless that is recommended to try. There were a lot more settings in Docker, some of which were not explained or the guides I found were outdated by a year or so. I did manage to get one instance to work, but it didn't seem to be any more stable or advanced than the Plex plugin. Docker version had the most current Plex Server version, but its playback also didn't work with Channels / Plugins, no matter what I clicked on or off.

Here's one of my settings questions -- In the Plex Web GUI > Settings > Server > Transcoder section, I have a blank line where it says "Temporary directory" whereas on a previous Win10 PC install of the Plex server (non-OMV and about a year ago) I had on that line "C:\Transcode" and I had created a folder on the Win10 C: drive called Transcode. I seem to remember Channels / Plugins working back then, but that was a totally different infrastructure so it's apples and oranges, right?

I think I need to replicate that on the OMV4 Plex setup, but if so, how? To the path "/srv/dev-disk-by-label-8tera/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Transcode" ? If so, how do I give the proper permissions to the Transcode folder buried in the external USB drive called "8tera"?

Any guidance or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

• Temporary fix to try:

Edit as root the file /etc/fstab and for the line for the 8tera drive change the option noexec to exec and save the file.

As root in the shell run: mount -a or reboot the machine.

Verify that videos that require transcoding now play.

Report back with results and if it worked a permanent fix will be posted.

Also post the entire line you edited from /etc/fstab.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!