Error in Update Management

• I'm getting the following error when I run Check in the OMV 4 Update Management screen:

Note that my installation was on a Debian minimal install implemented via:

• Fresh Debian 8.11
    • In place upgrade to Debian 9.5
    • In place backport kernel 4.17 added
    • OMV installed per OMV installation docs when installing onto Debian

Here's my sources list and my OMV sources lists:

It appears that the OMV kernel backports sources.list is giving me grief. Suggestions?

-Ron

• Here's the full error (too long to include in a single message):
    1st half:

• 2nd half:

• Offizieller Beitrag

deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian n/a—backports main contrib non—free

n/a-backports? That is definitely wrong. Does omv-mkconf apt fix it?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• n/a-backports? That is definitely wrong. Does omv-mkconf apt fix it?

That appears to have done the trick:

Code
    root@D8:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault-kernel-backports.list                      
    deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main contrib non-free

Update Manager no longer throws an error. No idea why that happened. I can recreate the problem on demand by following the above build sequence on a VM. Perhaps OMV’s build isn’t dealing with the stretch backports I had to add to get to 4.16 and above during the Debian install phase.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Perhaps OMV’s build isn’t dealing with the stretch backports I had to add to get to 4.16 and above during the Debian install phase.

OMV actually enables the backports repo by default. So, you should install OMV before upgrading the kernel. Then the kernel upgrade to 4.17 would have just been an update in the Updates tab.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Given my issue being unable to boot from a 4.x kernel lower than 4.16, I don’t think there was a point where I could reliably run OMV to do that. For this unusual installation conundrum, I’m booted up on Jessie running the 3.x kernel and have just done the 9.5 Stretch install (which installs the 4.9 kernel) but have not booted up on the 4.x kernel yet.

I was operating under the notion that OMV expects that I would have rebooted into 4.x running the 4.x kernel prior to running the OMV install and using the OMV front end. Are you saying that I could have run the OMV install on top of the Debian 3.x to 4.x in-place upgrade without rebooting and I would have been able to use the OMV backports via the OMV front-end prior to that first boot into 4.x?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you saying that I could have run the OMV install on top of the Debian 3.x to 4.x in-place upgrade without rebooting and I would have been able to use the OMV backports via the OMV front-end prior to that first boot into 4.x?

If you install OMV 3.x on Debian 8.x, it will also enable backports. So, I would do this:

• Install Debian 8.x
    • Fully update the system
    • reboot
    • Install OMV 3.x. This will enable the backports repo but you won't install the 4.9 backports kernel because of the next step.
    • Use omv-release-upgrade to go to OMV 4.x. This should install the 4.17 kernel.
    • Reboot.

• OK, as OMV 3.x no longer had any updates, I didn't pursue the backports via that interface (I didn't realize the backports were not constrained). I'll run through a virtual machine build to see how this plays out for my own edification.

Thanks

-Ron

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!