Rsync error on external usb disk

• Hi, I have a NAS with OMV 3.(Debian Stretch) with two HD configured as RAID1 and an external usb 3.0 HD for backup.
    Dmesg lists the following error when I try to rsync files on that disk

[ 306.164222] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: ERROR Transfer event for disabled endpoint or incorrect stream ring
    [ 306.164481] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: @0000000175a67ab0 00000000 00000000 04000000 04038001

and the rsync process hangs. I cannot understand the error, can anyone help me?
    Thank you!
    kuks

• This is the ouput:

• Code
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0bc2:2312 Seagate RSS LLC
    |__ Port 3: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=uas, 5000M

As expected: crappy external Seagate USB3 disk with UAS. All those Seagate drives ship with a broken firmware so they run into trouble with UAS (USB Attached SCSI).

Two options:

• do some research to 'UAS blacklist' your specific disk on Debian (search hits for Ubuntu are appropriate as well -- simply do a web search)
    • upgrade to at least kernel 4.15 since with this version the following patch has been applied to the kernel that should fix the issue: https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10058075/
  • Zitat von tkaiser

do some research to 'UAS blacklist' your specific disk on Debian (search hits for Ubuntu are appropriate as well -- simply do a web search)

Without the uas module I cannot mount the disk. Even the device name (sdd in my case) has disappeared from /dev directory...
    Did I do any mistake??

Zitat von tkaiser

upgrade to at least kernel 4.14 since IIRC with this version the following patch has been applied to the kernel that should fix the issue: patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10058075/

Sorry for my question, but is it safe (and is it possible) to upgrade manually from a 4.9.0-0.bpo.6-amd64 kernel to a newer (bpo??) kernel? From a quick attempt apt-get refuses to upgrade to 4.17.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 (broken dependence with linux-compiler).
    Thank you.

• Blacklisting as you said gives me this output (after rebooting)

therefore it seems that NO driver is loaded for the Seagate external HD, isn't it? I obtain a similar output connecting the hd to an usb 2.0 port

• |__ Port 2: Dev 4, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=, 5000M

Yep, this looks strange (should read Driver=usb-storage instead). You still need to blacklist the device and not the module.

Sorry, too tired, so just a link: https://forum.armbian.com/topi…usb-disk-rsync-io-errors/

(forget about /boot/armbianEnv.txt since you use OMV on x86 -- on ARM all of these problems are already long solved but on x86 you need to find a solution yourself)

• Zitat von tkaiser

You still need to blacklist the device and not the module.

Now my blacklist file is as follows:

Code
    root@nas:~# lsusb 
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0bc2:2312 Seagate RSS LLC 
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 174c:3074 ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1074 SuperSpeed hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 174c:2074 ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1074 High-Speed hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    root@nas:~# cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-uas.conf 
    options usb-storage quirks=0bc2:2312

The Seagate disk is now found (/dev/sdd exists) and can be mounted, but the driver in use is again uas...

Code
    root@nas:~# lsusb -t
    /:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/6p, 5000M
        |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 5000M
            |__ Port 2: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=uas, 5000M
    /:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/7p, 480M
        |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M
        |__ Port 5: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M
  • I already did that... The output that I reported before

Code
    |__ Port 2: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=uas, 5000M

was obtained after those commands...sorry if I didn't specified that...

• Ok, then running out of ideas.

I dealt with UAS blacklisting (for Seagate and WD drives and a broken Norelsys USB-to-SATA bridge) last year and obviously have forgotten most things.

In Armbian (on ARM hardware) we do it via kernel cmdline. We have a simple boot config file and a startup service that automagically UAS blacklists every Seagate USB3 HDD when found to be attached to the host. Looks like this here (sorry, I only use Seagate 'internal' SATA/SAS disks but would never buy any of their USB3 products due to the Linux problems with them):

Code
    root@nanopim4:~# cat /boot/armbianEnv.txt
    usbstoragequirks=0x2537:0x1066:u,0x2537:0x1068:u

And then the so called bootscript adds this to kernel cmdline automagically.

To achieve the same on x86 you need to fiddle around somehow with GRUB config to tell the kernel

Code
    usb-storage.quirks=0x0bc2:0x2312:u

(sorry no idea about details: I don't run OMV on any x86 box)

• Ok, thank you very much for your help anyway.

Zitat von tkaiser

I only use Seagate 'internal' SATA/SAS disks but would never buy any of their USB3 products due to the Linux problems with them

Therefore I guess that the best solution is to change the external disk and to buy a not-Seagate one, isn't it?? Do you have any suggestion about that?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I did a google search for your initial error and found this it just might give you some insight, but another option might be to see if there is a firmware update for the specific hard drive.

I can't test this for you as my OMV doesn't have USB 3.0 ports just 2.0 although I have 2 USB 3.0 drives one I know is WD (my son's) the other is a Buffalo and never checked the drive. I do know that I can rsync without any issues because either drive is connected to usb 2.0.

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

OMV 6x amd64 running on an HP N54L Microserver

• options usb-storage quirks=0bc2:2312

There the ':u' is missing. It need to read

Code
    options usb-storage quirks=0bc2:2312:u

I guess that the best solution is to change the external disk and to buy a not-Seagate one, isn't it??

Nope, you just need to UAS blacklist this model (unfortunately all those Seagate USB3 disks ship with the same broken firmware but each of them uses a different product ID so you can't generically blacklist them).

Alternative: starting with kernel 4.15 the issue should also be resolved as I explained above. But this has another downside that with kernel 4.14 and UAS active now SMART readouts won't work anymore. So UAS blacklisting Seagate USB HDDs is always the best solution (implemented on all the ARM OMV images since based on Armbian but missing with x86 so an awful lot of Linux users are condemned to run into this situation again and again).

BTW: With HDD UAS or not makes no real difference so there's no downside caused by blacklisting devices. See this performance report from a nice mini ARM OMV thingy with external USB3 disk but no UAS: https://forum.armbian.com/topi…findComment&comment=61898 (close to 100 MB/s is something I consider 'fast enough')

• another option might be to see if there is a firmware update for the specific hard drive

Seagate is well aware of the problem but since it only seems to affect Linux they don't care. They use an ASM1153 in their USB3 disk enclosures. This bridge chip works fine with standard ASMedia firmware but Seagate somehow managed to screw things up.

UAS or not makes a huge difference with SSDs (higher random IO performance with UAS and always less CPU utilization) but with HDDs it doesn't matter that much. So simply UAS blacklisting those disks should be fine.

• Zitat von tkaiser

There the ':u' is missing.

You are right...now it works! The driver in use is usb-storage and rsync works fine...
    Many thanks!!!

Zitat von geaves

thank you for your suggestion, but as you can see above my problem now is solved...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!