How to install drivers? Simple question but I'm a beginner

• Run these for some rough ideas about your adapters:

cat /sys/class/net/eno1/speed

cat /sys/class/net/enp3s0/speed

As for using the router to DHCP assign IPs, the problem there is that both the cards need to be in different networks and that can't be accomplished via DHCP from a single router.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Don't give up so fast.

Do you have a keyboard and monitor available just in case?

I do have a keyboard but I do NOT have a monitor, this is why I'm scared of messing it up. I had to borrow a friend's TV when I set it up and really don't want to do that again :P

This is why I'm asking if there's a way to assess the transfer speed. Because after all, I have no idea where the bottleneck is.
    1. The disks are all 5400RPM, but this should be fine.
    2. The router: I got a nighthawk X6 especially for this NAS so it shouldn't be the bottleneck.
    3. Laptop: it's a mac, using N wifi system.

The only bottleneck left is the ethernet over electricity device... I read somewhere that old houses would not work well with these devices. I live in an old apartment and I'm really thinking this is my bottleneck (which I cannot overcome unfortunately).

So just to be sure, I wanted to make sure that my ethernet port is not actually ANOTHER bottleneck... But quite honestly I have no reason to suspect it would be, but just thought I'd try if it's easy to do (clearly it's not easy :P ).

So it's fine, I'm not planning to dig any deeper than this not to mess up my system, which I may not be able to recover... Thank you though for all the help, I'm really grateful to how helpful everyone is on this forum!

• root@Hekmat-Server:~# cat /sys/class/net/eno1/speed

Please tell me this means my card is fast enough and don't need to be replaced? :D :D

• If both cards have active dhcp then assign the MAC of one of the cards to a specific IP on your router with dhcp. And then try to connect. In this way, you do not mess with the first card. The only question is whether omv will take as the primary interface on the second card. It should usually work.

You can use "HELIOS LanTest" for testing.

Thank you for the suggestion. Is Helios an interface that can be installed on openmediavault or on my mac?

• He does not use both cards at the same time. It's just about the active interface as a gateway.
    I have many machines with two cards within one subnet ...

Unless I missed something?

You are correct. I do not use both together.

• root@Hekmat-Server:~# cat /sys/class/net/eno1/speed1000

Please tell me this means my card is fast enough and don't need to be replaced? :D :D

That's a 1GB card. Do not both show the same?

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• That's a 1GB card. Do not both show the same?

I don't know about the new card, I have already disconnected it and closed my case :')

But that's good news actually! So my original built-in card is a 1GB card. So really the only bottleneck I have is the ethernet over electricity, which is NOT something I can change. Does my reasoning sound logical? Do you agree with me?

Btw, this is the device I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…age_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, I had a cheaper device and recently upgraded and I DID feel a slight increase in performance, which also goes in favor that this is my actual bottleneck.

Given that I have a nighthawk, I was wondering if I should get a wireless N card for me NAS as it may be faster than the crappy ethernet over electricity thing. But seems like WOL is not a simple thing with wifi, so I'm probably just keeping it the way it is...

Thank you very much!

• Thanks, I just downloaded it. Are you sure this tests the wifi? Because it jut created bunch of files on my desktop and measure how well this process went...

EDIT: NEVER MIND! I understand it now! I should select my nas as destination...

• I have no direct experience with ethernet over powerline. Wireless can be very touchy. In my place it is impossible to have a wireless connection between the first and second floors as the first floor ceiling is six inches of concrete poured over corrugated steel. I had to do a difficult ethernet pull between floors and run with with WAPs on each floor.

Good luck to you with whatever you do.

--

• I have no direct experience with ethernet over powerline. Wireless can be very touchy. In my place it is impossible to have a wireless connection between the first and second floors as the first floor ceiling is six inches of concrete poured over corrugated steel. I had to do a difficult ethernet pull between floors and run with with WAPs on each floor.

Good luck to you with whatever you do.

Yeah I'm not getting into wireless. I would love to have an ethernet pull but it is impossible for me given that I live in a rented apartment. I MAY be able to run a cable through the pre-existing walls but I may be really opening a terrible thing! Last thing I want is for me to ruint something inside the walls and be hel liable by my landlord....

• I run iperf between machines. Best I can do on wired 1GB LAN is 942mbps. I can't complain.

--

• I run iperf between machines. Best I can do on wired 1GB LAN is 942mbps. I can't complain.

Yes... It is a slow setup and I'm pretty sure now it is only ONE bottleneck which is the freaking tp link ethernet over electricity...

As we speak, I have ordered from amazon 50feet cat 6 shielded wire with a wire fisher :')

I'm going to give this a try... If by some miracle I'm able to run a cable in the wall without being evicted then I really think this will solve the issue!

Regarding pinging the TP-link among themselves, I have no idea how to do it...

• Yes... It is a slow setup and I'm pretty sure now it is only ONE bottleneck which is the freaking tp link ethernet over electricity...
    As we speak, I have ordered from amazon 50feet cat 6 shielded wire with a wire fisher :')

I'm going to give this a try... If by some miracle I'm able to run a cable in the wall without being evicted then I really think this will solve the issue!

Regarding pinging the TP-link among themselves, I have no idea how to do it...

Evicted? Who will know until you move out? And you will clip off the cable and spackle the holes, right?

Do yourself a favor and run that ethernet cable out in the open and test it before committing to running it in the walls.

--

• 00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 04)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)

You have 2 NICs in your system. A good Intel one onboard and an inferior RealTek added later. No idea why you and others waste time with the RealTek. Best idea is to remove it from your box immediately and start to analyze the problem you run into instead of adding more complexity for no reason.

If you fear that your Intel GbE adapter is only capable of 10 Mbits then you need to look at your cable (but worst case it's Fast Ethernet when the cable sucks) and pretty obviously you do now exactly the opposite of what you want: 'trying to troubleshoot where my bottleneck is'

• Evicted? Who will know until you move out? And you will clip off the cable and spackle the holes, right?

Do yourself a favor and run that ethernet cable out in the open and test it before committing to running it in the walls.

I was being overly dramatic by saying evicted :P It will be a deduction from my deposit if I don't re-patch everything.
    But you actually just gave me a great advise which I did not even consider doing and that is to try it BEFORE fishing the cable through the wall!! I can totally see myself doing all the work only to realize it was useless :')

I'll keep you tuned! Thanks!

• You have 2 NICs in your system. A good Intel one onboard and an inferior RealTek added later. No idea why you and others waste time with the RealTek. Best idea is to remove it from your box immediately and start to analyze the problem you run into instead of adding more complexity for no reason.
    If you fear that your Intel GbE adapter is only capable of 10 Mbits then you need to look at your cable (but worst case it's Fast Ethernet when the cable sucks) and pretty obviously you do now exactly the opposite of what you want: 'trying to troubleshoot where my bottleneck is'

Your "power over Ethernet" stuff does only Fast Ethernet (as almost all these thingies do). It's pointless to connect a Gigabit Ethernet adapter to such a thing since it has to negotiate Fast Ethernet (100 Mbits/sec or below 10 MB/s in reality) anyway.

I was not aware that realtek is not a great adapter but seems like many people on this forum agree to this. I do realize now it may not have been the best approach but I really thought that this would be a "10 minutes thing" to "just make sure" my intel adapter is not faulty... Obviously, it ended up being a night project.... How typical :D

Fast ethernet means 100Mbit/s? Well the one I got does say 1000Mbit/sec and I even tried once that says 2000... But yeah, it is not to be compared with a cable. I'm hoping to try a direct cable soon! This should be so smooth!

Thanks!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!