SUN RAID Card

• Hi all

I've seen a Sun 375-3536 RAID card advertised at a reasonable price It appears that this can run as a straight through HBA

does anyone have experience of one of these and how can I find out if it is compatable with OMV Debian HCL perhaps ?

Best Regards Mark

• Sun microsystems? Haven't heard their name in awhile.

Why pay for RAID if you don't need it? I'm running a supermicro SAS HBA, and it works ok. If I had to replace it I would go with one of the LSI cards that are more ubiquitous.

• Hi all

I now have an actual adaptec 5805

I have reflashed to the latest firmware (Build 18948) quite simple it is recognised by the bios and OMV will start ok if there are no drives connected but if I connect them it will not boot properly

I think I need to install the drivers but i'm not quite sure how to do it

Attatched is an extract from the user guide but I can't make a lot of sense of it

I Don't have the original disk and there is no optical drive on the NAS but I do have the driver files on USB stick

How do I mount grant permissions and install these or do I need to do something completely different

Best Regards Mark

• yes I can mount it O.K. but where do I go from there ?

Update I may not need it now, I have reset the RAID card and reinstalled OMV from scratch, My drives are seen now and I have been able to put filesytems on them

I had to do it manually as OMV messed up trying to do it through the GUI

However some advice on mounting and accessing external drives would still be most useful as I am still pretty new to Linux

Best Regards Mark

• Offizieller Beitrag

yes I can mount it O.K. but where do I go from there ?

You're going to need to do this via SSH :) In omv's gui under services>>>SSH enable Permit root login and apply changes.

Then from a windows machine you can either use putty or windows command prompt, I use the windows command prompt.

Start that and type in ssh root@<use the ip address of omv> hit enter, you may get a message click yes or ok, then type in your root password (the message may appear after the password has been entered)

• Offizieller Beitrag

O.K. I can log in as root via putty or via shell in a box

OK now you'll need to know what device that deb file is on, so do lsblk or blkid it will give you information of the drives on your system, if the deb is on a fat/ntfs usb drive it will display that and it should be labelled as /dev/sd[somethig, a,b,c]

• Offizieller Beitrag

sde/sde1 mount point /srv/dev-disk-by-label-RAIDDRV

Ok do cd /srv/dev-disk-by-label-RAIDDRV that will give you access, then do ls -l this will list the files on that drive your .deb file should be in there. Depending on the one you downloaded follow the instructions in that text file dpkg -i xxxxxx and hit enter, you can copy and paste the line from the text file.
    Once finished do cd then umount /srv/dev-disk-by-label-RAIDDRV 'should' unmount that drive, remove it then shutdown -r now that will reboot the server.

I'm going out now, and won't back for a couple of hours. Good luck

• follow the instructions in that text file dpkg -i xxxxxx and hit enter

I really hope this dangerous recommendation doesn't work.

@skyline1: Linux is not Windows. 'Drivers' are part of the kernel, you now run OMV 4 (that means Debian 9 and that means at least kernel 4.9), your readme talks about Debian 6 and lower (that's kernel 2.6.32 or below). You really don't want to install drivers from ten years ago when the kernel you are using contains a more recent driver version (containing tons of fixes -- hardware vendors usually stop to provide own driver archives once support in mainline kernel is decent enough and as you might imagine storage controllers like your old Adaptec are amongst these pieces of hardware where in-kernel code can be considered excellent).

If you want help you need to stop making assumptions and provide information instead.

If you boot with disks disconnected you could provide output from

Code
    lspci -v
    modinfo aacraid

Then it's about figuring out what you're talking about: 'if I connect them it will not boot properly' doesn't tell anything. When does booting stops? In BIOS already (those SCSI controllers have an own BIOS where you adjust boot priority and stuff like that -- if you're already stuck here how could a driver loaded only later be involved?)

I will mute this thread now and won't join in again since if certain people 'occupy' a thread already it's theirs (and I don't have the time to go through BS like this again and again)

• No it did not work but as I pointed out it was a really useful lesson in accessing external drives and using the package manager and generally getting used to CLI

I learnt a lot from this and will probably refer back to it occasionally.

My NAS is very much an experimental learning tool at present there is no data on it that isn't backed up elsewhere and I am learning practically (by making mistakes and saying I don't know)

Best Regards Mark

• Offizieller Beitrag

Worth a punt though :) I was looking for sensor info regarding my own server, found the driver and details on how to install it, but further searching I found that these specific drivers were now incorporated into the kernel as of v4 all I had to do was to copy the .conf files to get them to work, which they do.
    But further searching regarding your Adaptec brings up very little, but a reference to aacraid, but are they included in the recent kernel...can't seem to find anything.
    However I did find this lspci | egrep -i 'raid|adaptec' which you can execute from the command line this will tell you if the card has been detected.

If it has that means it's usable, but for Linux you have to take your Windows hat off. There's nothing stopping you connecting a couple of drives and see if they are visible in the GUI, at this point you have done nothing with them.
    A raid set up in OMV uses software raid, it ignores the raid controller as a hardware raid (that's not the best description but hopefully you'll understand it) so with the drives connected OMV sees them as individual disks. How you choose to work with them is then up to you. You either create a software raid, or install UnionFS and SnapRaid plugins, however, you can set up and create whatever you want from the GUI, but any changes, drive failures or anything else will almost certainly have to be done from the cli.

You get stuck, ask, there's a lot of talent on here and someone will have an answer, but try and give as much detail as possible it always saves asking further questions. Good luck.

• Offizieller Beitrag

quite simple it is recognised by the bios and OMV will start ok if there are no drives connected but if I connect them it will not boot properly

I've experienced something similar previously, there will be something within the bios that you can change, might be back to the m'board manual to find the answer, what it's actually trying to do is to boot from drives connected to the adaptec.
    Another thought, if the adaptec shows in the bios does it have sub menu you can access? i.e. name of adaptec> usually indicates a sub menu, the card will probably be set as raid on each port, you should be able to change that to Legacy something, each card is different.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!