Can't install openmediavault-virtualbox

• Can't install openmediavault-virtualbox

I wanted to try on some VMs, but I can't seem to install openmediavault-virtualbox package - I get the following error and I'm not sure how to proceed. Should I add any other repos? Thanks in advance.

Source Code

1. root@omvnas:~# apt-get install openmediavault-virtualbox
      2. Reading package lists... Done
      3. Building dependency tree
      4. Reading state information... Done
      5. Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
      6. requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
      7. distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
      8. or been moved out of Incoming.
      9. The following information may help to resolve the situation:
      10. The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      11. openmediavault-virtualbox : Depends: phpvirtualbox (>= 5.2-0-1) but it is not going to be installed
      12. Depends: virtualbox (>= 5.2.8) but it is not going to be installed
      13. Depends: virtualbox-ext-pack-installer but it is not going to be installed
      14. E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
      15. root@omvnas:~#
      Display All
    • Yes I first tried the webui - same error. I tried all the packages one by one - and they all come with their own errors. Seems I'm missing python3.6, not sure. I'm just wondering if I'm not doing something as I should, after all it's an official plugin right? Shouldn't it work out of the box?
    • infestdead wrote:

root@omvnas:~# apt-get install openmediavault-virtualbox
      That errors because there is no such package!!

infestdead wrote:

after all it's an official plugin right? Shouldn't it work out of the box?
      Hm!! Maybe!! Perhaps!! Sometimes!! Most of the time!! Yes!!

However, top right corner there is a search option and sometimes, just sometimes you may find a solution....but you haven't mentioned your version so I'll take a stab and point you here. That should give you a starting point. :)
      Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?
    • I tagged my version in the original post, not sure why it's not showing - anyway - latest 4.1.11. The package openmediavault-virtualbox exists but it won't install.

Source Code

1. # apt-cache search openmediavault-virtualbox
      2. openmediavault-virtualbox - VirtualBox plugin for OpenMediaVault.
      3. # apt-get install openmediavault-virtualbox
      4. Reading package lists... Done
      5. Building dependency tree
      6. Reading state information... Done
      7. Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
      8. requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
      9. distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
      10. or been moved out of Incoming.
      11. The following information may help to resolve the situation:
      12. The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      13. openmediavault-virtualbox : Depends: phpvirtualbox (>= 5.2-0-1) but it is not going to be installed
      14. Depends: virtualbox (>= 5.2.8) but it is not going to be installed
      15. Depends: virtualbox-ext-pack-installer but it is not going to be installed
      16. E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
      17. #
      Display All
    • infestdead wrote:

It does on my systems. The problem is people change things and that is why the plugin has dependencies. You aren't meeting those dependencies. Maybe you have backports disabled? the virtualbox package itself lives in the Debian backports. So, you must have backports enabled if you want to use the plugin.
      omv 4.1.11 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.11
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

infestdead wrote:

It does on my systems. The problem is people change things and that is why the plugin has dependencies. You aren't meeting those dependencies. Maybe you have backports disabled? the virtualbox package itself lives in the Debian backports. So, you must have backports enabled if you want to use the plugin.
      Can you give me the content of /etc/apt/ or at least what I should have enabled? My OMV is very old install - maybe 4 years, I've always updated it via omv-update and omv-release-upgrade. I've only added repos via the web UI as not to mess up my apt preferences and I have pretty standard software installed. But who knows, maybe at some point I've messed some repo or setting..
    • infestdead wrote:

@geaves - thanks, tried that, no difference, same error. It seems it all depends on python3.6 but it can't be installed from anywhere.
      Ok what's the output of

php -v
      apt-get install -f
      dpkg --get-selections | grep holdAs this is your error E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages. that needs to be resolved.I'm running omv 4.1.11 if I run php -v this is output;

Source Code

1. PHP 7.0.30-0+deb9u1 (cli) (built: Jun 14 2018 13:50:25) ( NTS )
      2. Copyright (c) 1997-2017 The PHP Group
      3. Zend Engine v3.0.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2017 Zend Technologies
      4. with Zend OPcache v7.0.30-0+deb9u1, Copyright (c) 1999-2017, by Zend Technologies

and I can install VB via the plugin once I have enabled the backports.
    • I'm guessing your sources.list is missing repos. What is the output of: cat /etc/apt/sources.list
      omv 4.1.11 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.11
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • @geaves - there you go:

Source Code

1. root@omvnas:~# php -v
      2. PHP 7.0.30-0+deb9u1 (cli) (built: Jun 14 2018 13:50:25) ( NTS )
      3. Copyright (c) 1997-2017 The PHP Group
      4. Zend Engine v3.0.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2017 Zend Technologies
      5. with Zend OPcache v7.0.30-0+deb9u1, Copyright (c) 1999-2017, by Zend Technologies
      6. root@omvnas:~# apt-get install -f
      7. Reading package lists... Done
      8. Building dependency tree
      9. Reading state information... Done
      10. 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
      11. root@omvnas:~# dpkg --get-selections | grep holdAs
      12. root@omvnas:~#
      Display All

Btw do you have python3.6 installed? It seems the whole things depends on python 3.6 but I only have 2 and 3.5.

@ryecoaaron - there you go:

Source Code

1. root@omvnas:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
      2. # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8 _Jessie_ - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20160919-19:37]/ stretch contrib main non-free
      3. #deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8 _Jessie_ - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20160919-19:37]/ stretch contrib main non-free
      4. deb http://ftp.bg.debian.org/debian/ stretch main non-free contrib
      5. deb-src http://ftp.bg.debian.org/debian/ stretch main non-free contrib
      6. deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
      7. deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
      8. # stretch-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
      9. deb http://ftp.bg.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
      10. deb-src http://ftp.bg.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
      11. root@omvnas:~#
      Display All
    • Ok your sources list is the same as mine, the other output I asked for is almost the same as mine except I have 2 held packages which I am aware of.

Now as an experiment I removed the vb plugin and disabled the backports from omv-extras backports, I then ran the plugin and I got the exact same error as you, identical.

I then enabled the backports and tried the plugin again and it is currently installing!! Once it's finished I'll check the log files.
    • Source Code

1. dpkg --list | grep virtualbox
      2. ii openmediavault-virtualbox 4.1 all VirtualBox plugin for OpenMediaVault.
      3. ii phpvirtualbox 5.2-0-1 all Web interface for VirtualBox.
      4. ii virtualbox 5.2.18-dfsg-1~bpo9+1 amd64 x86 virtualization solution - base binaries
      5. ii virtualbox-dkms 5.2.18-dfsg-1~bpo9+1 all x86 virtualization solution - kernel module sources for dkms
      6. ii virtualbox-ext-pack-installer 5.2.18 all VirtualBox extension pack installer.
      That's the output after VB is installed. So enable the backports as I previously suggested and wait for it to complete, then install the plugin.
    • Thanks,
      unfortunately it doesn't work for me :( This is what I do (see attached).

Can you show me the output of `dpkg -l | grep python3`
      Images
      • Screenshot from 2018-09-18 08-07-48.png

90.48 kB, 1,410×759, viewed 12 times
      • Screenshot from 2018-09-18 08-06-56.png

39.78 kB, 656×434, viewed 9 times
    • infestdead wrote:

Can you show me the output of `dpkg -l | grep python3`

Source Code

1. ii libpython3-stdlib:amd64 3.5.3-1 amd64 interactive high-level object-oriented language (default python3 version)
      2. ii libpython3.5:amd64 3.5.3-1 amd64 Shared Python runtime library (version 3.5)
      3. ii libpython3.5-minimal:amd64 3.5.3-1 amd64 Minimal subset of the Python language (version 3.5)
      4. ii libpython3.5-stdlib:amd64 3.5.3-1 amd64 Interactive high-level object-oriented language (standard library, version 3.5)
      5. ii python3 3.5.3-1 amd64 interactive high-level object-oriented language (default python3 version)
      6. ii python3-apt 1.4.0~beta3 amd64 Python 3 interface to libapt-pkg
      7. ii python3-dbus 1.2.4-1+b1 amd64 simple interprocess messaging system (Python 3 interface)
      8. ii python3-dialog 3.4.0-1 all Python module for making simple terminal-based user interfaces
      9. ii python3-lxml 3.7.1-1 amd64 pythonic binding for the libxml2 and libxslt libraries
      10. ii python3-minimal 3.5.3-1 amd64 minimal subset of the Python language (default python3 version)
      11. ii python3-natsort 4.0.3-2 all Natural sorting for Python (python3)
      12. ii python3-netifaces 0.10.4-0.1+b2 amd64 portable network interface information - Python 3.x
      13. ii python3-pyudev 0.21.0-1 all Python3 bindings for libudev
      14. ii python3-six 1.10.0-3 all Python 2 and 3 compatibility library (Python 3 interface)
      15. ii python3.5 3.5.3-1 amd64 Interactive high-level object-oriented language (version 3.5)
      16. ii python3.5-minimal 3.5.3-1 amd64 Minimal subset of the Python language (version 3.5)
      Display All
    • Ok in omv-extras do an apt-clean, then backports enable do you get a dialogue/config box appear with a progress bar?

After that check the content of /etc/default/openmediavault right at the bottom there should be a line OMV_APT_USE_KERNEL_BACKPORTS="YES"
    • Users Online 2

2 Guests