Can't install openmediavault-virtualbox

• I wanted to try on some VMs, but I can't seem to install openmediavault-virtualbox package - I get the following error and I'm not sure how to proceed. Should I add any other repos? Thanks in advance.

• Been awhile since I've installed VB and if I remember correctly the process wasn't without issue. I believe I installed using the plugin installer on the webui. In your case, I would try installing the unmet dependencies?

• Yes I first tried the webui - same error. I tried all the packages one by one - and they all come with their own errors. Seems I'm missing python3.6, not sure. I'm just wondering if I'm not doing something as I should, after all it's an official plugin right? Shouldn't it work out of the box?

• Offizieller Beitrag

root@omvnas:~# apt-get install openmediavault-virtualbox

That errors because there is no such package!!

after all it's an official plugin right? Shouldn't it work out of the box?

Hm!! Maybe!! Perhaps!! Sometimes!! Most of the time!! Yes!!

However, top right corner there is a search option and sometimes, just sometimes you may find a solution....but you haven't mentioned your version so I'll take a stab and point you here. That should give you a starting point. :)

• I tagged my version in the original post, not sure why it's not showing - anyway - latest 4.1.11. The package openmediavault-virtualbox exists but it won't install.

• i had to upgrade my kernal header and image to get virtualbox installed. That fixed the install issue but now I can't VNC into any of my machine. LOL!

I am about to reload 4.0.14 and see if I can get better results there. If I do I will post my steps.

• Offizieller Beitrag

after all it's an official plugin right? Shouldn't it work out of the box?

It does on my systems. The problem is people change things and that is why the plugin has dependencies. You aren't meeting those dependencies. Maybe you have backports disabled? the virtualbox package itself lives in the Debian backports. So, you must have backports enabled if you want to use the plugin.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• It does on my systems. The problem is people change things and that is why the plugin has dependencies. You aren't meeting those dependencies. Maybe you have backports disabled? the virtualbox package itself lives in the Debian backports. So, you must have backports enabled if you want to use the plugin.

Can you give me the content of /etc/apt/ or at least what I should have enabled? My OMV is very old install - maybe 4 years, I've always updated it via omv-update and omv-release-upgrade. I've only added repos via the web UI as not to mess up my apt preferences and I have pretty standard software installed. But who knows, maybe at some point I've messed some repo or setting..

• Offizieller Beitrag

at least what I should have enabled?

Select omv-extras from the menu, then select backports from the drop down select Enable Backports. Then try the the plugin, if that doesn't work, try apt clean from omv-extras, reboot and try the plugin again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

@geaves - thanks, tried that, no difference, same error. It seems it all depends on python3.6 but it can't be installed from anywhere.

Ok what's the output of

php -v
    apt-get install -f
    dpkg --get-selections | grep holdAs this is your error E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages. that needs to be resolved.I'm running omv 4.1.11 if I run php -v this is output;

Code
    PHP 7.0.30-0+deb9u1 (cli) (built: Jun 14 2018 13:50:25) ( NTS )
    Copyright (c) 1997-2017 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v3.0.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2017 Zend Technologies
        with Zend OPcache v7.0.30-0+deb9u1, Copyright (c) 1999-2017, by Zend Technologies

and I can install VB via the plugin once I have enabled the backports.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm guessing your sources.list is missing repos. What is the output of: cat /etc/apt/sources.list

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• @geaves - there you go:

Btw do you have python3.6 installed? It seems the whole things depends on python 3.6 but I only have 2 and 3.5.

@ryecoaaron - there you go:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok your sources list is the same as mine, the other output I asked for is almost the same as mine except I have 2 held packages which I am aware of.

Now as an experiment I removed the vb plugin and disabled the backports from omv-extras backports, I then ran the plugin and I got the exact same error as you, identical.

I then enabled the backports and tried the plugin again and it is currently installing!! Once it's finished I'll check the log files.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Code
    dpkg --list | grep virtualbox
    ii  openmediavault-virtualbox           4.1                               all          VirtualBox plugin for OpenMediaVault.
    ii  phpvirtualbox                       5.2-0-1                           all          Web interface for VirtualBox.
    ii  virtualbox                          5.2.18-dfsg-1~bpo9+1              amd64        x86 virtualization solution - base binaries
    ii  virtualbox-dkms                     5.2.18-dfsg-1~bpo9+1              all          x86 virtualization solution - kernel module sources for dkms
    ii  virtualbox-ext-pack-installer       5.2.18                            all          VirtualBox extension pack installer.

That's the output after VB is installed. So enable the backports as I previously suggested and wait for it to complete, then install the plugin.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you show me the output of `dpkg -l | grep python3`

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok in omv-extras do an apt-clean, then backports enable do you get a dialogue/config box appear with a progress bar?

After that check the content of /etc/default/openmediavault right at the bottom there should be a line OMV_APT_USE_KERNEL_BACKPORTS="YES"

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!