Cant get it to work with Single Harddrive

• Hey,

so i have a Zotac ID41 Box - with a single Sata Port.
    I bought a 4TB Harddrive to turn that thing into a NAS.
    At first i simply installed openmediavault on the Drive, but couldnt select the drive under File System and Shares, meaning i couldnt do anything with it... (wasnt even visible in most options)
    After that i thought, maybe it hast to be on another Partition.
    So i installed Debian, on a 50GB Partition and made a EXT4 Partition from the remaining Space.
    But still had the Same Issue.
    I tryed deleting the Partition, hoping openmediavault would recognise the Free Space or something but nothing. (i also tryed various other Partition setups)
    Ive been trying to get it to work for half a day now with various ways and guides but i just fail.

Could someone please tell me what im doing wrong ?
    Thanks in advance

EDIT
    just saw theres a Storage Sextion in the Forum, i guess this better fits there, would be nice if a mod could move this there

• If you'd bothered to read up on how OMV works, you might've realised very quickly that most people install OMV on a USB flash drive and boot the OS from there and then use the mechanical drive for storage only.
    Doing this, would solve your problem.
    Do note that you need a second USB drive to install the image from.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• Well i saw that, but i thought maybe that is done for speed reasons or something.
    But OK - that explains alot.
    I will have to buy a SD card (dont want to use usb) and the Case has a nice SD Slot and i should be fine...

Thanks a bunch you both. :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!