How would you fix a borked Odroid HC1 install?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How would you fix a borked Odroid HC1 install?

Hi. I recently got an Odroid HC1 (the only ports on which are for ethernet, USB and a mini SD card).

I installed OMV on it last month, and added the LUKS plugin. Then I got distracted before I finished setting it up.

Today I did an `apt-get update && apt-get upgrade`, before trying to encrypt `/dev/sda`. The web UI wouldn't let me select any devices.

After a bit of poking around I discovered that the `dm_crypt` kernel module wasn't loaded. `uname` said I was running 4.9.103-odroidxu4, but the only `linux-image` deb package installed was for 4.14.55-odroidxu4.

"Oh yes!", I said, "I've probably pulled in a new kernel when I upgraded all those packages!"

So I rebooted, to find that I can no longer connect to the HC1 at all.

When it first rebooted I could ping it but SSH and HTTP were down. I pulled the power and tried booting it again shortly after that and now find that it hasn't even brought its interface up.

Have I uncovered a design flaw in the Odroid HC1? (that there's no console). Or is there a way of connecting a monitor that I've not thought of? What do others do under these circumstances? I'm not sure I can bring myself to invest effort into configuring a machine whose boot process I can't debug if it goes west like this...

Thanks in advance.

The post was edited 1 time, last by gma ().

• gma wrote:

Hi. I recently got an Odroid HC1 (the only ports on which are for ethernet, USB and a mini SD card).

I installed OMV on it last month, and added the LUKS plugin. Then I got distracted before I finished setting it up.

Today I did an `apt-get update && apt-get upgrade`, before trying to encrypt `/dev/sda`. The web UI wouldn't let me select any devices.

After a bit of poking around I discovered that the `dm_crypt` kernel module wasn't loaded. `uname` said I was running 4.9.103-odroidxu4, but the only `linux-image` deb package installed was for 4.14.55-odroidxu4.

"Oh yes!", I said, "I've probably pulled in a new kernel when I upgraded all those packages!"

So I rebooted, to find that I can no longer connect to the HC1 at all.

When it first rebooted I could ping it but SSH and HTTP were down. I pulled the power and tried booting it again shortly after that and now find that it hasn't even brought its interface up.

Have I uncovered a design flaw in the Odroid HC1? (that there's no console). Or is there a way of connecting a monitor that I've not thought of? What do others do under these circumstances? I'm not sure I can bring myself to invest effort into configuring a machine whose boot process I can't debug if it goes west like this...

Thanks in advance.

HC1 has an uart, only requires a more specific module which costs a little.
      You can always remove the card and pop it under the PC to modify the files. But if you want to be able to look at the boot process then uart.

I'm not an expert. I'm just a tourist here.

- ODROID-HC1 (Samsung Exynos5422, 2GB LPDDR3 RAM, Gigabit Ethernet)
      - Sandisk Ultra 16GB A1 "SDSQUAR-016G-GN6" (btrfs)
      - Samsung SpinPoint M8 1TB (ext4)
      - OMV 4.1.11 / ARMBIAN 5.60 + Kernel 4.14.69
    • Just flash OMV to another SD-card and start over. Or use the same.

It may be prudent to have the HDD removed the first 2 startups. Update and add LUKS. Then connect the HDD and configure OMV to use the existing contents..

You can access the contents of the old SD-card, if needed, using any SD-reader, provided you run a computer that understands BTRFS. For instance a Linux computer.

Once you are up and running again, make a backup of the SD-card. And update the backup after any (major?) changes, when they have been tested. With headless servers this is EXTRA important. And silly not to do... Like driving a car at speed without a safety belt on.

If you want to experiment with OMV then do that in a VM on a PC or on a server that is not headless. That can save you a lot of time...
      OMV 4.X.XX, 5 * ODROID HC2, 2 * Seagate IronWolf 12TB, 1 * 500 GB 860 EVO, Netgear GS316, ASUS Lyra

The post was edited 1 time, last by Adoby ().