Installation Problems

• Help request from a Newbie!! I successfully installed OMV4 earlier this week using four SATA drives and all was going well initialising the drives and setting up shares until I messed things up somehow and started to receive errors.

I then successfully re-installed OMV4 using the same SATA drives and a new ASROCK mother board with 8G of RAM, and can access the system via the browser GUI. The OS is installed on a surplus 120G SATA drive with an additional 200G drive being used as a general purpose data drive for backing up from my iMac. I have two additional SATA drives, one a 200G and the other a 2TB which I have connected to the motherboard and are recognised by the BIOS. These drives are to be used again for backing up data and possibly for audio files. The problem is that when either of these two other SATA drives is connected I cannot load OMV OS. Disconnecting these additional drives and just having the 120G/200G SATA drives enables the system to boot normally. The 120G SATA drive is setup in the BIOS as the only boot drive. I have attached an image of the monitor showing the error messages presented at boot. I have read on the forum that drives can cause problems if they have residual data on them from a previous installation so I have wiped both drives.

Any help/guidance would be really appreciated. Martin

• In the meantime I decided to install the OS on a 16G USB drive with no data drives connected.
    When I boot, I get the following error messages:

no devices listed in config file or automatically
    mdadm: no arrays found in config file or automatically
    Gave up waiting for root filing system device. Common problems:
    Boot args ....... etc etc
    ALERT! /dev/sdb1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell.

BusyBox ........

I assume this is a BIOS Boot problem. Excuse my lack of expertise!

• How did you install? CD or from another USB.
    Put up your full m'board info, make model etc.

I have successfully installed the OS onto a 32G USB3.0 Sandisk stick using a separate 8G USB2.0 Sandisk stick. The machine boots fine from this 32G stick and I can access it via the browser interface. As soon as I shut down the machine and connect any of my SATA drives and ensure that the USB stick is the only boot option, I then fail to boot and receive the error messages in my second post above. Disconnecting the SATA drive then enables me to boot normally. Please note that these drives have been used before in a successful installation earlier this week (see my opening post). The motherboard details are :

ASROCK H81M-DGS R2.0 P1.60
    8Gig of DDR3 RAM currently sitting in the DDR3_B1 socket.
    Intel Pentium CPU G3258 @ 3.20GHz

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok you can boot provided when no other drives are connected, so the only option I can think of is to boot from either Gparted Live CD with all your drives connected or the SystemRecueCd and run wipefs.

The fact that it can boot from the USB means that Fast Boot is disabled, when you switch on is there a boot option, on some machines it can be F12, you're then given a menu of possible boot devices.

I have successfully installed the OS onto a 32G USB3.0 Sandisk stick using a separate 8G USB2.0 Sandisk stick. The machine boots fine from this 32G stick and I can access it via the browser interface. As soon as I shut down the machine and connect any of my SATA drives and ensure that the USB stick is the only boot option, I then fail to boot and receive the error messages in my second post above. Disconnecting the SATA drive then enables me to boot normally. Please note that these drives have been used before in a successful installation earlier this week (see my opening post). The motherboard details are :

How do I get to command line to enter DD command?? Doh!!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

??????

How do I get to command line to enter DD command?? Doh!!!

Thanks to everyone for their guidance. Problem is resolved and now I can enjoy what is proving to be an excellent NAS option.

• So what was the solution?

Don't know, what was mgjsmith's solution, but for me, who I had the same problem, it was this I found by another search.
    Though I'm still not familiar with linux boot loaders, in this case grub2, I know enough about BIOS to say, that it just boots from the first device it finds bootable and may fall back to efi shell or to boot-from-ethernet, if no bootable device can be found. The"BIOS boot order and everything else" will not change anything, if you already got any grub of BusyBox messages.

For me the whole seems to be a common problem with grub installer, when installing omv (or debian in general?) from an UUI USB stick rather than from a real CD. Because the USB stick will be taken as an "sd" device by intstaller and grub, typically as "sda", and installation takes the device to install on as "sdb". And then grub, though it uses UUID for finding the real boot device, but not completely, after removing the stick, runs into error.

Sorry, if it sounds confusing, for me it is as well. But that's, what I found out ;)

Private NAS: Asus P9D-I + Xeon E3-1220L CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + LSI SAS2108 HBA + 4x8TB BTRFS RAID 10 + OMV 4 booting from single SLC SSD
    Private experimental NAS: Asus P9D-I + i3-4130T CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + 3x10 BTRFS RAID5 + OMV 5 beta booting from single SLC SSD

• Thanks for reply and sry for delay - I just needed to keep the other drives as they were. Astonishing enough, althoug I set booting to sda in grub, the system sdd was changed to the last of sd found, i.e. sde in this case. Please don't ask me why :)

Private NAS: Asus P9D-I + Xeon E3-1220L CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + LSI SAS2108 HBA + 4x8TB BTRFS RAID 10 + OMV 4 booting from single SLC SSD
    Private experimental NAS: Asus P9D-I + i3-4130T CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + 3x10 BTRFS RAID5 + OMV 5 beta booting from single SLC SSD

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!