SATA card

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Lightning took out my server. I was using an ASRock extreme6 with 10 SATA ports. That motherboard has been discontinued. Instead of searching for a motherboard with a large amount of SATA ports. I thought I might be better off getting a SATA card (not RAID card). Does anyone have any suggestions so I don't have to worry about compatibility issues with OMV?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    • GTvert90 wrote:

I thought I might be better off getting a SATA card (not RAID card). Does anyone have any suggestions so I don't have to worry about compatibility issues with OMV?
      LSI 9211-8i/Dell H200/Dell H310/IBM M1015 (they all can be flashed with the 9211 IT mode bios). While it is a raid card, when flashed with IT mode firmware, it acts like a sata card and works much better
      omv 4.1.13 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.13
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Thanks. Should I just run it as a RAID card? I'm doing software RAID now. If I ran hardware RAID and the card shit out I'd have to track down the same card correct? Or is it just that in theoretically I can take my 6 drives that are software RAID, move them to a new system and everything should be gravy vs always needing a RAID card?

ryecoaaron wrote:

GTvert90 wrote:

I thought I might be better off getting a SATA card (not RAID card). Does anyone have any suggestions so I don't have to worry about compatibility issues with OMV?
      LSI 9211-8i/Dell H200/Dell H310/IBM M1015 (they all can be flashed with the 9211 IT mode bios). While it is a raid card, when flashed with IT mode firmware, it acts like a sata card and works much better

• GTvert90 wrote:

Should I just run it as a RAID card?
      I never did. I used it as a sata/sas card with nice cabling. I did use a 9260 as a raid card for a while.

GTvert90 wrote:

If I ran hardware RAID and the card shit out I'd have to track down the same card correct?
      Yes but you can get these cards cheap enough (ebay) that you could just buy two.

GTvert90 wrote:

Or is it just that in theoretically I can take my 6 drives that are software RAID, move them to a new system and everything should be gravy vs always needing a RAID card?
      That is really a matter of preference. If the card was expensive (a new 9211-8i is but the others aren't), then I would definitely stay with software raid.

Basically, if you are happy with software raid, there is no reason to switch to hardward raid. Using this card in IT mode will let you stay with software raid.
      omv 4.1.13 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.13
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • I just spotted the Dell card on Ebay, complete with 2 cables, for $40 delivered. Eight ports. Amazing...
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing
    • Well, E-bay is what it is (I think of it as "buyer beware"). And to be fair, anything that goes through the mail can be lost, especially if it's coming from overseas. At least you're getting a refund.

On the other hand, if you price out a new card, 8 ports, with 2 each 4 port cables, I think you'd probably try E-bay again.
    • flmaxey wrote:

Well, E-bay is what it is (I think of it as "buyer beware"). And to be fair, anything that goes through the mail can be lost, especially if it's coming from overseas. At least you're getting a refund.

On the other hand, if you price out a new card, 8 ports, with 2 each 4 port cables, I think you'd probably try E-bay again.
      For sure. Not terribly upset, just frustrating waiting. I might try eBay again. I'll do some research today

• I don't think there's anything needed on your part.

If all goes well, it should be "attach a drive", boot, and you see the drive in the GUI.

So what did you get? Another E-bay item? What model?
    • Let us know how it went, and which flashing process you used. (I found a couple out there.)
    • techmattr.wordpress.com/2016/0…-dell-perc-h200-and-h310/ this is the guide I used. I read it a few times then dove right in. I have an UEFI motherboard so it was a little more complicated and as expected I screwed it up when I tried following the walk through. After that I kept scrolling and found the list of commands at the bottom and it worked flawlessly.

• So, after flashing:
      It was, install, connect a drive and boot?
    • flmaxey wrote:

So, after flashing:
      You install before you flash. But yes I disconnected all drives, installed card, flashed, verified firmware changed (guide didn't tell you to I just felt like it was a good step to take.) installed the OS drive, ran omv-first aid ( I was switching motherboard) once OMV was up and running I shut down and connected the data drives.

• GTvert90 wrote:

flmaxey wrote:

So, after flashing:
      You install before you flash. But yes I disconnected all drives, installed card, flashed, verified firmware changed (guide didn't tell you to I just felt like it was a good step to take.) installed the OS drive, ran omv-first aid ( I was switching motherboard) once OMV was up and running I shut down and connected the data drives.
      Well I was thinking, install and connect a drive. (The controller would have to be there and ready.)
      But I can see, with my wording, what you mean. :D

I bought an H200, on E-bay, and two 3 foot cables so I can connect 8 port. Now we'll see if I get it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by flmaxey: edit ().

• Coming from China? Lol good luck. At least I got a refund.

Do you have a UEFI motherboard?

flmaxey wrote:

GTvert90 wrote:

flmaxey wrote:

So, after flashing:
      Well I thinking, install and connect a drive. (The controller would have to be there and ready.)
      But I can see, with my wording, what you mean. :D

I bought an H200, on E-bay, and two 3 foot cables so I can connect 8 port. Now we'll see if I get it.

• The card is coming from Hong Kong. (That's a distinction without a difference these days.)
      The cables shipped from California.

On the mobo I'll be using to flash the card, no, it's not UEFI. The mobo I'll eventually use the card with has yet to be determined.
      Why? Does this card have problems with UEFI?

The post was edited 1 time, last by flmaxey ().