• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, I got the perc H200 and it worked out of the box as a RAID controller. I attempted to flash it with IT firmware. It didn't work. (Of course it erased as it should. :) )
    I suppose I need to get real dos (versus free DOS) on the USB drive, and give it another shot on an older non-UEFI Mobo.

Update:
    Got the Perc H200 flashed, with a bootable USB stick created with Rufus and free DOS (included with Rufus). I flashed the H200 to IT mode using this -> process, the same as used by @GTvert90 . For some reason, sas2flash.exe failed on the Intel mobo (the server's mobo). With the H200 installed in an AMD M5A78L Mobo, using the same software and process, the Perc flashed without issues. (Both Mobo's are UEFI.)

• Well, I got the perc H200 and it worked out of the box as a RAID controller. I attempted to flash it with IT firmware. It didn't work. (Of course it erased as it should. :) )
    I suppose I need to get real dos (versus free DOS) on the USB drive, and give it another shot on an older non-UEFI Mobo.

Update:
    Got the Perc H200 flashed, with a bootable USB stick created with Rufus and free DOS (included with Rufus). I flashed the H200 to IT mode using this -> process, the same as used by @GTvert90 . For some reason, sas2flash.exe failed on the Intel mobo (the server's mobo). With the H200 installed in an AMD M5A78L Mobo, using the same software and process, the Perc flashed without issues. (Both Mobo's are UEFI.)

do you have a link to the listings still for the card and cables?

OMV 5 - 64 bit
    Dell T430, 16gb Ram, 5 x 3TB HDD Raid5, 1 x 120GB 2.5" SSD (OS)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Disclaimer:
    If you haven't done it before; Ebay is is what it is, which I would characterize as "buyer beware". This is not an endorsement and there are no guarantees.

This was the listing where I bought the H200. Note it took over three weeks for it to arrive in my location, in the US.

The two breakout cables I bought-> here. (A US seller - it arrived in about a week.)

This is an interesting alternative -> cables. (China. It will take awhile to arrive.)

Depending on the actual number of drives you hook up and your power supply, you might need something like-> this.

(This seller has an excellent feed back score.)

• thanks both thats help me locate the cables on ebay uk. do you find the card needs cooling on some of the uk listings it says a 40mm fan needs attaching.

seriously considering getting one of these cards was it fairly easy to flash? though i have seen one seller who is selling it preflashed with bios unless you ask for it not to be.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PERC-H200-RAID-Controller-IT-mode-LSI-9211-8i-Cables-SAS-to-4x-SATA/123352328325?var=423748219957

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• Offizieller Beitrag

do you find the card needs cooling on some of the uk listings it says a 40mm fan needs attaching.

I've found that these controllers run hot. In fact, I entertained the idea of rigging/attaching a small GPU fan to the heat sink. On the other hand, these controllers are server grade hardware that's designed to last. If a fan was required, it would have one installed from the factory.

seriously considering getting one of these cards was it fairly easy to flash?

In my limited experience (1 time), it was a bit of an adventure. (Detailed above.) My H200 refused to flash when installed in a Intel server Mobo, but the process when without a hitch when installed an AMD. I don't know why, but I'm not surprised.

i have seen one seller who is selling it preflashed with bios unless you ask for it not to be.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PERC-H200-RAID-Controller-IT-mode-LSI-9211-8i-Cables-SAS-to-4x-SATA/123352328325?var=423748219957

If adding up all the costs of the cables need to connect all (8) ports:

(In USD) $27 controller, $13 2ea sata cables, and $8.80 2ea power cables from the links I posted. $48.80 is pretty close to the price for a kit with a card that's already flashed. For $60.25 (USD), for a complete kit, I'd do it. My only concern would be the short, daisy chained power connectors. However, if you have 4 drives stacked closely, one on top of the other in a cage, no problem. (It appears that's what those cables were designed for.)

• I've found that these controllers run hot. In fact, I entertained the idea of rigging/attaching a small GPU fan to the heat sink. On the other hand, these controllers are server grade hardware that's designed to last. If a fan was required, it would have one installed from the factory.

In my limited experience (1 time), it was a bit of an adventure. (Detailed above.) My H200 refused to flash when installed in a Intel server Mobo, but the process when without a hitch when installed an AMD. I don't know why, but I'm not surprised.

If adding up all the costs of the cables need to connect all (8) ports:
    (In USD) $27 controller, $13 2ea sata cables, and $8.80 2ea power cables from the links I posted. $48.80 is pretty close to the price for a kit with a card that's already flashed. For $60.25 (USD), for a complete kit, I'd do it. My only concern would be the short, daisy chained power connectors. However, if you have 4 drives stacked closely, one on top of the other in a cage, no problem. (It appears that's what those cables were designed for.)

yes that was the worry with the cables he does sell the card separate without and i could get the cables you have linked which maybe better as i mentioned id like to have the ability to grow from my current 5x 3tb raid 5 set up.

i think getting it preflashed maybe easier as i only have intel hardware available to me only amd kit i have is the hp microserver and not sure it has the connector on the board needed for that card.

just looking at board options now and unsure to entertain the asrock j4105m intergrated or go for a standard board and some sort of cpu.when it comes to specing diy hardware Im at a loss as everything at work is pre built just decide who much ram and storage you want in the servers basically.

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• Offizieller Beitrag

yes that was the worry with the cables

Again, if the drives ares stacked in groups of 4 (or more), no problem. I've be worried in any other arrangement.
    Builds are not hard, but thorough research is need to insure compatibility, but that's mostly the CPU, Mobo and RAM.
    RE the j4105m:
    Just as a heads up, you might want to look at this thread . This user had a heck of a time loading OMV on a J4105 and I have no idea "why". Other users have this mobo and haven't have the same problem(s).

For power consumption it's hard to beat the integrated cpu design. (The only way to do better would be with an SBC. Some of them work very well, but they come with other limitations.) Just be aware, the H200 will probably use as much juice as the J4105 mobo. It was built for enterprise use, not energy efficiency.

Regarding RAID, can I ask why you're doing RAID5? (I'm guessing it's mdadm RAID.) Have you thought about something like UnionFS+SNAPRAID?

• ill have a read and power usage isn't the biggest problem and the h200 solves an issue which I don't think I can for the same price the h200 costs.

Raid 5 just to offer the redundancy when using 5 disks.using software raid in omv. Not seen or heard of the solutions you have mentioned. As I say my Linux knowledge is basic so I've tried to keep the system as basic as I can so when things go wrong it's generally easy for me to fix. If it was windows I'd be fine that's my day job working in it with client and server windows environments. But understand Linux has a place and is very useful and it's nice to try learn with what little free time I have with family life and work lol.

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• Hi Guys/Gals, after giving myself a headache searching about what type of card I need I finally stumbled across this thread which was more than helpful. I'm new here and am still currently building my Nas/Server, it's nothing fancy just a project to keep me off the streets lol. Anyway after reading this thread I found this on E-Bay and thought it maybe helpful for some people here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Del…6&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Hi Guys/Gals, after giving myself a headache searching about what type of card I need I finally stumbled across this thread which was more than helpful. I'm new here and am still currently building my Nas/Server, it's nothing fancy just a project to keep me off the streets lol. Anyway after reading this thread I found this on E-Bay and thought it maybe helpful for some people here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Del…6&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

The typical use case and (everything being discussed in this thread) refers to SAS cards with internal 8087 ports connected to internal SAS or SATA drives with forward breakout cables. The card you mention has external 8088 ports and does not fit this use case.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!