Error with static ip on rock64

• I would start from scratch, do not fiddle around somewhere in the filesystem and simply assign a static DHCP lease on your router as already suggested to you in another thread.
    If you want to fiddle around on Linux boxes to configure stuff there you need at least some knowledge how it's done. Hint: editing /etc/network/interfaces (Debian's ifupdown mechanism) is something from the past. This for example is a good tutorial how to deal with stuff on Debian: https://linuxconfig.org/how-to…p-address-on-debian-linux

With ayufan's OS images the config files are sourced from subdirectories as it's common today, when you work with the Armbian based ARM images you have to deal with network-manager and there simply call nmtui to switch between DHCP and static addressing.
    Not even this.

Well I am sorry but I need to "fiddle" because I do need a real static IP to use pi_hole witch cannot work with an assigned DHCP address, and since you are familiar with Rockpro board I am sure being a master it would be nice and easy to give me at least a hint.
    I tried to increase my knowledge by going to the link above and apply the the change to interfaces. d but no joy

• Offizieller Beitrag

I tried to increase my knowledge by going to the link above and apply the the change to interfaces. d but no joy

I thought you had this sorted?

But I'll try and explain it as I understand it, the Rockpro image uses network-manager to configure networking, hence the reference to nmtui, this Debian manpage explains.

The link to linux config explains how to set up a static ip, but first you have to stop, then disable the network daemon for any changes to work.

To make any changes you must first stop any networking services.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My rockpro has a static ip after removing the eth0 file in /etc/network/interfaces.d and then configuring from the web interface (or omv-firstaid if you can't access the web interface).

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I thought you had this sorted?
    But I'll try and explain it as I understand it, the Rockpro image uses network-manager to configure networking, hence the reference to nmtui, this Debian manpage explains.

The link to linux config explains how to set up a static ip, but first you have to stop, then disable the network daemon for any changes to work.

To make any changes you must first stop any networking services.

Well reboot should be the same I think

My rockpro has a static ip after removing the eth0 file in /etc/network/interfaces.d and then configuring from the web interface (or omv-firstaid if you can't access the web interface).

This is my problem, OK the web interfaces says now I have a static IP @ 192.168 .2.30 but after rebooting router and OMV and removing assigned DHCP I can only access it @ 192.168.2.248 and by the way omv-first aid is broken on ayufan-releases

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you remove the file in /etc/network/interfaces.d/? I am using ayufan's image too.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Did you remove the file in /etc/network/interfaces.d/? I am using ayufan's image too.

Absolutely!

Update
    Even on a brand new install, removing interface.d putting static in the GUI same issue. Is there a solution?

• Offizieller Beitrag

How can I resolve this issue?
    I saw something about etc/NetPlan but I do not know if it can apply to OMV?

Netplan is only on Ubuntu right now. So, this isn't the problem. For me, all I had to do was remove the interfaces.d file and configure the adapter from the OMV web interface.

• Netplan is only on Ubuntu right now. So, this isn't the problem. For me, all I had to do was remove the interfaces.d file and configure the adapter from the OMV web interface.

Since it is not working for me is there a way to resolve it thru CLI?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since it is not working for me is there a way to resolve it thru CLI?

If the interfaces.d file is gone and /etc/network/interfaces is correct, then I don't know how to fix it. What does your /etc/network/interfaces look like?

• Offizieller Beitrag

dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4.

The dot after the last four might actually be causing this but I haven't tested. The rest looks fine.

• I had basically the same issues on latest ayufan stable image (0.7.9. release) -rock64.
    In short, tried configuring through interfaces.d , deleting that and configuring directly in /etc/interfaces, no luck. Web GUI even with fresh installation , no luck. OMV first aid didn't work for that with same error as OP.

In the "end", I've left a messy configuration due to lack of time and will at the time, DHCP assigned address plus a static one configured through CLI (interfaces.d) (needed for Pi-Hole).

As I've bumped into this thread, it "forced" me to play with it again. I downloaded "regular" OMV image from sourceforge, and everything was fine.
    Configured Static IP through WebGUI with no errors. Even managed to install Plex plugin through GUI, didn't work before, also had to use CLI. Icing on the cake, solved my VPN problems as well. (That one I still installed through terminal because I found it more straightforward.)

Given how easy it is to setup OMV through WebGUI, it didn't take all that much time I thought it would.

• Good to know. What is the exact link for the image working for you since @ SourceForge if I remember they have only images for rock64 witch is different from the rockpro64?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

• My apologies, I thought you were on rock64 as well.

On a positive note, it really might be te fault of Ayufan release (at least it seems that way, not quite sure if fixed on unstable channel), so you could send him a bug report on that.

• I think I found a possible solution at least I got only one ip only although my router still flag it as DHCP
    I found it there:
    https://askubuntu.com/question…ve-a-secondary-ip-address
    systemctl stop dhcpcd
    systemctl disable dhcpcd
    reboot
    The Sources Code are after and before the fix.
    Update after removing the MAC addr from manually assigned IP list even it was marked are not able made it flag static
    so far so good only one mac addr listed for the board but stiil got " DNS resolution is currently unavailable" in pi hole container

• SOLUTION.
    To make it short so you don't need to read the whole thread.

Go in OMV GUI configure network as static do not do apply on "The configuration has been changed...." or you will get an an error.

remove file in etc/network/interface d
    and while you are still in CLI write

systemctl stop dhcpcd
    systemctl disable dhcpcd
    reboot
    login with your new IP apply the yellow banderole
    and you are done
    will work 100%

• SOLUTION.
    To make it short so you don't need to read the whole thread.
    will work 100%

Ich hatte das selbe Problem. Jetzt nicht mehr! Vielen Dank.
    Perfekt, Funktioniert 100%.

• This worked! Thanks!
    My System:
    Rock64 4GB | omv 4.1.17-1 (Arrakis) | Linux Version 4.4.154-1124-rockchip-ayufan-ged3ce4d15ec1

@ remove file in etc/network/interface d

Just to make it clear how to remove the file:

Make ssh login:
    ssh root@<IP>
    mysecretpassword

change directory into:
    cd /etc/network/interfaces.d

list files:
    ls

you should see: eth0
    remove this file:
    rm eth0

fyi: systemctldisable dhcpcdgave me a perl warning.
    perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
    Not sure what that means. Nevertheless it worked.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!