Error with static ip on rock64

• Here I am, I just got my Rock64 board and installed a fresh OMV 4 (ayufan).

The first thing was to edit the IP address and set a static one. I did it via WebGUI but it stucks in "Apply loop", the same as all the users above (this issue also broke all other configuration menu, every time you apply a new setting or enable a service OMV give back the attached error).

The curious thing was that the static IP addess was set in /etc/network/interfaces with no effect. To "solve" 'Apply loop' I must revert it to DHCP.

Now the webgui is reachable both through the static IP and the DHCP IP.

I also tried "omv-firstaid" to edit the network interface but got a nice error right after I choose option 1:

I tried to change the micro SD with a new one, same result.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I also have this issue!, I'm thinking of moving to OMV 3.x now since I read your reply... I read your post and you clearly know a ton more, if you haven't figured out then I'm almost lost... I didn't want to start a thread in fear of mods saying this issue has been addressed but configuring network is a pain so far with my diy nas... I followed every step and troubleshooted everything, I even started configuring the admin page throught ethernet and yet this NAS distro does not get the simplest config done.

I attach few screenshots of my issue codes.

The problem is that something went wrong on your system during installation or upgrade. There is a fake start-stop-daemon error warning. Search the forum or Google how to fix that Debian issue.

• Offizieller Beitrag

How can I help you to debug this issue? Need some log files? If so, what files?

Thanks!

First question, are you up-to-date with the updates? I really can't reproduce this, either i'm setting up a static and DHCP interface. Are you using any backport packages? Maybe dialog has been changed in a newer version? Note, OMV does not support backports because of this reason.

• First question, are you up-to-date with the updates? I really can't reproduce this, either i'm setting up a static and DHCP interface. Are you using any backport packages? Maybe dialog has been changed in a newer version? Note, OMV does not support backports because of this reason.

I just downloaded latest image from ayufan space (https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases) : stretch-openmediavault-rock64-0.7.9-1067-armhf.img.xz

Just a quick recap: right after the first boot, I tried to change IP and didn't works. Than I reverted to DHCP and begun to change other settings: at this point i saw many updates in "update menu" from WebGUI. Once update were done I tried to run 'omv-firstaid' again but no luck!

I didn't install any other plugin, I didn't attach any drive yet to the board! XD

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can't reproduce this in the Vagrant box used for testing and delevoping (based on AMD64), so i am sure the problems coming from the image. I don't know how this image is build and which customizations are done to the Debian system, so i am out at this point because everything seems to work on an official Debian system build via Vagrant.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thank you votdev, I'll try another image, maybe 64 bits version or the official OMV image for Rock64.

Are you really trying to setup bonded network adapters on the rock64?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, just the physical interface eth0.

Ok. I moved this to its own thread since that other thread was caused by a bonding issue. I highly doubt the issue with your rock64 is the image. I have a rockpro64 from ayufan (same build script) with a static ip and it works fine. What settings are you using? screenshots are good.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Sorry for the late answer, I was a little busy.

I restarted from eth0 in DHCP mode and tried to set it to static IP.

1. I set static IP (not in the image, I set also DNS to the same IP of gateway)

2. When OMV ask to apply the new setting, after few seconds this error popup

3. I ran the 2 commands suggested in the popup:

systemctl status networking.service

journalctl -xe

Have a look at lines 99 and 100:

99. Oct 03 23:52:18 rock64 ntpd[6371]: Listen normally on 3 eth0 192.168.178.59:123
    100. Oct 03 23:52:18 rock64 ntpd[6371]: Listen normally on 4 eth0 192.168.178.27:123

The first (192.168.178.59) is the IP that eth0 got in DHCP mode while the latter is the static one. Trying to open the web GUI, OMV reply from both!

4. Last step, I restore the default. OVM reset eth0 to DHCP and /etc/network/interfaces is set as the following:

... and in /etc/network/interfaces.d/eth0 :

Code
    allow-hotplug eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

I googled around about "RTNETLINK answers: File exists" error (line 123 in journalctl log) and tried several "solution", from reboot to 'ip addr flush dev eth0', but no way.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

from reboot to 'ip addr flush dev eth0', but no way.

Someone had the issue a few days ago an ip addr flush dev eth0 worked for them, if that didn't work I suggested running omv-firstaid from the command line and I think it's option 1: Configure Network Interface
    It may well error, it did when I changed my hardware, but I just rebooted with shutdown -r now and it worked fine.

• if that didn't work I suggested running omv-firstaid from the command line and I think it's option 1: Configure Network Interface

It was one of my first try but there is another issue in omv-firstaid panel:

Code
    ERROR: dialog-like terminated due to an error: the dialog-like program exited with status 3 (which was passed to it as the DIALOG_ERROR environment variable). Sometimes, the reason is simply that dialog was given a height or width parameter that is too big for the terminal in use. Its output, with leading and trailing whitespace stripped, was:
    Error: Expected at least 5 tokens for --menu, have 4.
    Use --help to list options.

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks.

If I had read the thread through I can see that the omv-firstaid can't be replicated :(

However, doing some more searching try this ip addr flush dev eth0 followed by /etc/init.d/networking restart

I wouldn't reboot yet, but try the gui if can be accessed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks @geaves for the hint, I'll try it once at home (as a noob, I tried "ip addr flush dev eth0" from a ssh session and lost the connection to the device. Luckly I was in my living room and the device few meters from me :) )

You really should do this directly on the device with a screen and keyboard :)

If you can do that running omv-firstaid directly on the machine might just work.

• If I had read the thread through I can see that the omv-firstaid can't be replicated :(
    However, doing some more searching try this ip addr flush dev eth0 followed by /etc/init.d/networking restart

I wouldn't reboot yet, but try the gui if can be accessed.

Ok, there is what I did:

1. I reverted everything to default (net interface set to DHCP)
    2. Despite step 1. in /etc/network/interfaces there was still the configuration for static IP. That was ok for me.
    3. in /etc/network/interfaces.d/eth0 I commented the line iface eth0 inet dhcp
    4. I ran the command ip addr flush dev eth0 and then /etc/init.d/networking restart (this time directly from the device :P )
    5. I checked the web interface: 192.168.178.59 (DHCP IP address) was no longer available, 192.168.178.27 (static IP) was up and running. No reboot needed.

Now in the web gui there was still DB value of net interface, I simply edited it to the new value. This time there was no error. :)

On the other side, the first option of omv-firstaid gave the same error. :(

Thank you!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!