Pi-hole in doker network problem

• I am trying to follow this guide [How To] Install Pi-Hole in Docker: Update - 08/10/18

on OMV 4.1.11 upgraded from 3.91 and I am stuck at the beginning as soon as I want to use the google DNS

and actually also similar problem in the docker pihole itself when I want to create a network according to the guide

-----
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; systemctl start 'networking' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Job for networking.service failed because the control process exited with error code.See "systemctl status networking.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

The configuration has been changed. You must apply the changes in order for them to take effect.

Details
    Page

of 1
    Displaying items 1 - 1 of 1
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; systemctl start 'networking' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Job for networking.service failed because the control process exited with error code.See "systemctl status networking.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
    Error #0:OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; systemctl start 'networking' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Job for networking.service failed because the control process exited with error code.See "systemctl status networking.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:182Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(86): OMV\System\Process->execute(Array, 1)#1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(146): OMV\System\SystemCtl->exec('start', NULL, false)#2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/networking.inc(44): OMV\System\SystemCtl->start()#3 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(194): OMVModuleNetworking->startService()#4 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array)#5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(149): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)#7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(565): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->OMV\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatusj7...', '/tmp/bgoutputF9...')#8 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(159): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))#9 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(213): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)#10 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)#11 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#12 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)#13 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)#14 {main}

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV is using a static IP in the router

That's not what I asked!! To assign a static IP address to something on your network it needs to be outside of the DHCP scope/range, if your OMV was allocated an IP from the DHCP and then in the router you select 'always use this is address' that is dynamic.

If you cannot assign google dns to the Network>>>Interfaces under IPv4 then it's picking up the dns from your router.

• Well I assigned the ip 192. 168.2 220 in the router outside the DHCP poll witch is 192.168.2.2 to 192.168.2.200
    but even after rebooting router and PI,OMV is still 192.168.2.122
    I also tried to put the same static ip in OMV, still this error:

Error #0:OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; systemctl start 'networking' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Job for networking.service failed because the control process exited with error code.See "systemctl status networking.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:182Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(86): OMV\System\Process->execute(Array, 1)#1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(146): OMV\System\SystemCtl->exec('start', NULL, false)#2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/networking.inc(44): OMV\System\SystemCtl->start()#3 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(194): OMVModuleNetworking->startService()#4 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array)#5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(149): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)#7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(565): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->OMV\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatusi1...', '/tmp/bgoutputf1...')#8 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(159): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))#9 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(213): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)#10 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)#11 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#12 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)#13 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)#14 {main}

UPDATE
    After the second reboot the OMV IP is 192.168.2.220 but still error when Itry to change the network interfaces in OMV

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'd have to agree with geaves. If you can't use Google's DNS in OMV, something is going on with OMV's network settings.

BTW: you don't have to used Google's public DNS servers. There are plenty to chose from. DNS servers

Take a look here -> guide (page 37)and set up OMV's network interface for a static address. OMV's static IP address should be outside of your routers DHCP scope, but in the local LAN network.
    For example, my DHCP scope runs from 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.99 (50 addresses) 192.168.1.1 is reserved for my router.
    Anything from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.49 and 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.254 could be used for static addresses on my network.

If you're not sure what the above means, you could set OMV's DNS address, for the address of your router (your gateway IP) but that's not the ideal setup for Pi-hole.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Howto apply a static ip address to omv:

From the menu select Network
    On the network menu bar select Interfaces
    In the Name column select select Edit

A configuration box will appear, under IPv4>>>Method from the drop down select static, that's it fill in the ip address, subnet, gateway and dns, click save then apply configuration, reboot, you should now be able to install Pi-Hole in docker following the howto.

• In OMV's Network Advanced settings you have MTU set to zero. Try 1500 instead.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's an unusual router setup, however there a few things I would do;

Change the DHCP scope if you can change the end pool to .50 the current setting allows for 198 address leases.

Change remove the Pi from the manually assigned

Change the Manual Assignment to No

Apply changes, this will write the information to the router....if I have read that info correctly that's an Asus...I'll get the manual...but first dinner...sorry.

That OMV error is when you click save and then apply?

EDIT: You definitely need to turn off manually assign ip address, this not the way omv requires a static ip address, just read through the manual re DHCP settings.

• In OMV's Network Advanced settings you have MTU set to zero. Try 1500 instead.

My network is definitely stubborn after rebooting same difference, I followed your instruction now OMV is in DHCP pool but I cannot assign it Static in the gui.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you SSH into the Pi? if you can you'll need the output from

systemctl status networking.servicejournalctl -xe

The other way to do this is to connect a keyboard and monitor to the Pi and run omv-firstaid and select option 1 Configure network interface

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can see that the address you were using (.220) was out of your scope .2 to .200. (And now it appears to be back in the DHCP range with an address of .57)

What seems to be the issue now? Are changes to network settings working? Or are your changes getting the yellow confirmation banner but not actually being set?

• Here what I got

• Offizieller Beitrag

What seems to be the issue now? Are changes to network settings working? Or are your changes getting the yellow confirmation banner but not actually being set?

We've managed to remove the router from the equation, but not able to change omv from dhcp to static, each time he clicks save the error comes up, which means the changes aren't being saved therefore not applied and written.
    I googled that error and found a thread back to here, but, no answer on how to resolve it! That's why I suggested trying omv-firstaid with a monitor and keyboard.

• Here what I got

I can see that the address you were using (.220) was out of your scope .2 to .200. (And now it appears to be back in the DHCP range with an address of .57)

I removed the ip assignment in the router according to "geaves" reply above in the thread, so of course it came back in DHCP pool but I am still unable to assign a dynamic IP in OMV

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hmmm Imho, no ... Or I misunderstand you.

Hmmmm yes, if you assign a static ip within a dhcp scope the dhcp server has no idea that that address has been allocated and it will/can assign it to a machine on the network, hence using an ip address outside the scope.
    Dynamic, doesn't cause that issue, that is because you 'tell' the dhcp to 'always use that ip address' for that specific machine, but either have to have a router that supports it or set up within a dhcp server.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sep 20 15:51:12 raspberrypi ifup[9302]: Cannot find device "eth0"
    Sep 20 15:51:12 raspberrypi ifup[9302]: ifup: failed to bring up eth0
    Sep 20 15:51:12 raspberrypi systemd[1]: networking.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE

Ok, for some reason it's failing to find eth0 which is your network, have you any usb's connected? The only thing I can think of is the fact that the ethernet and the usb's share the same bridge (I think, I know there is an issue relating to the Pi regarding that)

I don't think this can be resolved by SSH as the network will come down and you'll lose the connection, omv-firstaid would be the option.

• Offizieller Beitrag

They use dhcp but they have rigidly assigned IPs per MAC. And in this situation, dhcp will never use an IP that is reserved for a given MAC.

Ok, your using the MAC address to fix the ip to a specific machine, this is not normal practise, at least not during my IT roles.

When you set up dhcp you set a scope from h to y for the clients, you then set a reserved scope outside of the dhcp range b to g this allows for static ip addressing to servers, printers, anything that needs to be easily and constantly available on the network.

• Can you SSH into the Pi? if you can you'll need the output from

systemctl status networking.servicejournalctl -xe

The other way to do this is to connect a keyboard and monitor to the Pi and run omv-firstaid and select option 1 Configure network interface

I think omv-firstaid fixit and probably the name eth0 was wrong should have been eth1 to make sure I should not assigned it as dynamic at the router level?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!