Daily Cron e-mail from openmediavault-check_locked_users ?

• I'm getting this error on mail - And there are several other users in here who have asked how to fix the problem but no answer? - There must be a developer who knows how to solve the problem?:

/etc/cron.daily/openmediavault-check_locked_users:
    pam_tally2: No such file or directory

• I'm using Omv4 on an Odroiod xu4 :) - I received this message from the user ryecoaaron earlier on error mails:

"It sounds like the system was powered off without going through the proper shutdown procedure that syncs the logs. This is a weakness of folder2ram (and tmpfs in general). If you create the directories/files that are missing in the email and then do a syncall, it should fix it."

Why did you design a system that can not handle a power off by mistake? "I've said it several times but it's not durable with a system that can not handle this. Since this is something that can happen to any server by power failure. But I do not get any answers even though I think it's very relavant.

Besides the error I get on mail "/etc/cron.daily/openmediavault-check_locked_users:
    pam_tally2: No such file or directory "run the system stably and I have no other problems but it's also annoying enough in itself ....?

• Why did you design a system that can not handle a power off by mistake?

Did you get what @votdev told you? 'Your installation is broken somehow, the pam_tally2 Debian package seems not to be installed'.

'pam_tally2: No such file or directory' means that this specific binary can not be found. What is the output of

Code
    which pam_tally2

Since you admit that you have power failures frequently why do you expect any filesystem could handle this properly? Allowing power failures with servers --> asking for trouble. That's what UPS are for (and in the SBC world small servers with proper battery support, e.g. Olimex Lime2)

• The output of your command is:

/ Sbin / pam_tally2

I do not say I have a power failure often but once is enough with the system you have chosen to construct "This is a weakness of folder2ram and tmpfs in general" ... I think that an error in the system it can not cope with power cut off by accident as it creates many problems for your users. - Something else if you talk about large professional server center they have for most battery backup. But you can not expect home users to have the same options :):) -As far as I know, your software is more in private homes and small companies rather than large server parks. So maybe you should design it to suit the typical end user :)

• I've been running OMV 24/7/365 at home for over three years, and various other Linux server implementations for many, many years before that. I have always had UPS protection on them.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• /sbin/pam_tally2

Ok, then for whatever reasons the $PATH variable when cron is called seems to not contain /sbin/ (no idea why and how to fix this). Anyway: since you're using an Armbian based OMV installation you could execute

Code
    sudo armbianmonitor -v

to run an package integrity check if your OMV is up to date.

With power outages you should expect filesystem corruption though I tried very hard to provoke this on the rootfs 2 years ago when developing a lot with Armbian. For months I never did a clean shutdown (just pulling out the power cable) and never had a filesystem corruption which might be related to some special settings we use in Armbian (huge commit interval of 600 seconds -- in such a 'power outage' scenario we prefer you losing data over filesystem corruption).

And yes, you're right that the flashmemory plugin has some room for improvements but it's described here in the forum how you could set up an hourly cron job that syncs back to disk (please use the search function).

• But do not think you can get it on Odroid products at all Or many other small arm servers

As already mentioned: some of those small ARM servers are ready for the job. The Olimex Lime2 is pretty slow by today's standards but you get full UPS functionality attached 2.5" SATA disk included by simply attaching a battery to them (we get 20 hours on 6600 mAh battery with connected 2.5" disk that is spun down).

For all other SBC that are fed with 5V you can always use an USB powerbank that supports 'pass-thru' charging. The only challenge left is then to get an idea when the powerbank starts to discharge once mains is down. A common trick is to use another device that can cope with power losses (your internet access router). The router is connected to mains, once the power is gone the SBC is still running and a simple cron job pings the router. If the router isn't available for an hour (or whatever reasonable time frame) a safe shutdown is initiated.

• Okay thanks for reply I'm not the big Linux nerd but you'll never get better if you do not try :) - Could the problem I have make problems elsewhere in my system if I do not choose and reinstall? I do not have an overview of how much this error relates

"/etc/cron.daily/openmediavault-check_locked_users:
    pam_tally2: No such file or directory "

• Could the problem I have make problems elsewhere in my system if I do not choose and reinstall?

No idea. You sit in front of your device, everyone else is away. That's why we in Armbian provide support tools. As already said:

Code
    sudo armbianmonitor -v
    sudo armbianmonitor -u

The first one does a package integrity check (if your installation is corrupted you will be notified), the 2nd one uploads debug info to an online pasteboard service.

https://forum.armbian.com/topi…d-interpret-debug-output/

• Really, i thought this is done by the plugin, otherwise it seems to be useless to me

The plugin syncs the changes back to disk at shutdown. And that's usual operation mode not just for OMV but for any server. If you allow sudden power losses or let them crash you run into trouble anyway. But I agree that some sort of a periodic sync would be a good thing.

@ryecoaaron: we talked about this already. In Armbian we use in the meantime zram for ramlog functionality (currently with one bug that hopefully gets resolved soon) but IMO this would be an interesting feature too for folder2ram since in the meantime kernel versions with OMV4 are recent enough on any platform for zram)

• When I run the command: "sudo armbianmonitor -v"

Do I get the following output:

It appears you may have corrupt packages.

This is usually a symptom of filesystem corruption caused by SD cards or eMMC
    dying or burning the OS image to the installation media went wrong.

The following changes from packaged state files were detected:

/var/subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg
    /usr/lib/python3.5/weakref.py

http://ix.io/1nBa

Since I'm not a Linux nerd, I can not use it for so much - Is my emmc card dead?

I still disagree with you regarding power cut I've been in situations where the server (Openmediavault) is freezing and I can not reach a terminal on the server because it's frozen. In that situation, I NEED to take power and boot again. - That it's damage my installation is bad because I do not have other options. It happens with Linux / Windows that causes errors that make you need a power cut ... - + All the other issues I've mentioned that most with small armboards DO NOT have a power backup in case of power cut off.

Therefore, I can not understand that you are not working to make a system that can handle a power cut in case of an accident.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Really, i thought this is done by the plugin, otherwise it seems to be useless to me.

The problem is that the plugin is trying to reduce writes. Making it sync every hour is increasing writes by a large amount. I don't know what the problem sync period is but I have never had issue with it since my systems are on UPSes/shutdown properly.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• ryecoaaron not everyone has battery backup Maybe you should develop openmediavault on what the majority have and not what a few have. It would correspond to not making a user interface on windows because a few nerds can use it without. If bill gates did, I do not think many users will buy his product :) - since it is based on ease of use :)

Now I'm sitting with a system I might need to reinstall for number 99 - It's not going to be fun :) - And as I said, the system can freeze by mistake and you may be forced to take power if you can not reach a terminal.

That it's going to put down the whole system is directly stupid.

• Offizieller Beitrag

not everyone has battery backup

I know that. I didn't say everyone should rush out and buy one but I can't help what happens to a system when you yank the power from it. That isn't just an OMV issue.

Maybe you should develop openmediavault on what the majority have and not what a few have.

I don't develop OMV. I wrote a plugin to help people from killing their SD cards/usb sticks (seems to be a majority). I don't know where the trade off is - protecting the sd card by not syncing all the time which *might* be bad if you don't have a battery backup -or- syncing all the time and killing the sd card faster but *might* protect people without battery backup. Maybe you can give me the perfect option???

And if I write a plugin that I use and it doesn't fit your use case, I'm not sure what to tell you. I'm not going to write something that I hate to use.

It would correspond to not making a user interface on windows because a few nerds can use it without.

I have no idea what this means but the flashmemory plugin user interface can't get any easier. You just install it and you are done. If you are using it on an arm device, it is already installed.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• /var/subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg
    /usr/lib/python3.5/weakref.py

Everything fine. I guess you modified /usr/lib/python3.5/weakref.py since you thought a harmless warning would be an error and whatever modified /var/subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg I don't care. No idea why the cron job throws an error. If you feel annoyed by the warning simply disable the check and you're done! Or add /sbin/ in front of the command.

Wrt your unsafe shutdowns and power losses... just fix them. All our servers run 24/7 till the next kernel update that forces a reboot. If a box wouldn't I would replace it or fix the problem (how many more times do I need to explain that 'UPS' with SBC is a non issue when you throw little money on it)?

Making it sync every hour is increasing writes by a large amount

At least in my tests this was not that much of an issue. At least Write Amplification was way lower with an hourly sync compared to letting daemons write all the time to log files.

• Offizieller Beitrag

At least in my tests this was not that much of an issue. At least Write Amplification was way lower with an hourly sync compared to letting daemons write all the time to log files.

I will have to add a checkbox (and maybe a number of hours between syncs box) or something to enable a scheduled sync. Even if the write amplication is low, I still don't want it running on my systems that have a UPS.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!