Nextcloud, your personal cloud server, GNU nano blank page

• Being probably too presumptuous I am trying to follow the guide
    Nextcloud, your personal cloud server, on Openmediavault
    from Techno Dad Life but I got stuck at the editor GNU nano2.7.4 witch give me a page with menu but completely blank after I typed

cd /sharedfolders/AppData/Nextclouddb
    nano custom.cnf

subsequently in my nextclouddb folder I am getting a file custom.cnf.save instead of custom.cnf
    I am not sure what I am doing wrong

• Offizieller Beitrag

Same problem here, but instead nothing showed up in my nextclouddb folder. Blank doc in the ssh and nothing in the folder. Everything in the guide seemed straightforward enough. Can't figure where I went wrong. Instead of jumping ship to another guide I would like to know how to fix this. I'm guessing that setting up the mariadb container in the previous step was suppose to generate the doc. I'm working on a MacBookPro with version 4.1.11 of OMB on a Rpi 3 B+. Anybody have some insight?

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is that right? It's the same for the Nextclouddb also. It's a little confusing to me that you can create a shared folder and set permissions in OMV, but then you have to go to your computer to nest any folders within that folder.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for the nudge riff-raff. Oh my! I just discovered the ACL tab in "Shared Folders". I looked at the guide you linked to above and read something about ACL so I went back to my OMV install and poked around Shared Folders, and there it was, permissions and all. Thanks again.

• Check the permissions of your nextcloud folder.

Thanks for the nudge riff-raff. Oh my! I just discovered the ACL tab in "Shared Folders". I looked at the guide you linked to above and read something about ACL so I went back to my OMV install and poked around Shared Folders, and there it was, permissions and all. Thanks again.

Can you give a step by step, how do you change the permissions I think I did but no joy so far

• Offizieller Beitrag

I’m not at my computer to see exactly but this should work for you.
    Under Shared Folders highlight your folder and click Permissions in the menu bar above and then check the box next to admin and what ever user you have in place. Click save, yes, save, yes... you know the drill.
    Next, click the ACL button in the menu bar above and I think there is just one check box. Check it and do the save, yes, save thing again.
    I think you should do that for AppData and Nextcloud folders, maybe all of your shared folders.
    I think when you add these folders there is a radio button in the setup that says something about inheriting permissions: that should be turned on as well. That’s the best I can do without my screen in front of me. If that doesn’t work. I’ll be on my machine later this evening. Anybody like to correct, add, or clarify please do so. I’m just the blind leading the blind.

• I’m not at my computer to see exactly but this should work for you.
    Under Shared Folders highlight your folder and click Permissions in the menu bar above and then check the box next to admin and what ever user you have in place. Click save, yes, save, yes... you know the drill.
    Next, click the ACL button in the menu bar above and I think there is just one check box. Check it and do the save, yes, save thing again.
    I think you should do that for AppData and Nextcloud folders, maybe all of your shared folders.
    I think when you add these folders there is a radio button in the setup that says something about inheriting permissions: that should be turned on as well. That’s the best I can do without my screen in front of me. If that doesn’t work. I’ll be on my machine later this evening. Anybody like to correct, add, or clarify please do so. I’m just the blind leading the blind.

Well if do not mind to clarify a bit :) since I am getting no change

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, I'm sorry, but what I suggested in my previous comment didn't work how I wanted, at least not how I expected. I was able to get files to populate into the Nextclouddb folder but none of them were custom.cnf so when I opened it up in the ssh it was still blank.

If you go into your User settings in OMV you will see a permissions sub-menu. Select/highlight your user and click on Permissions and check the box for "read/write" of the Nextclouddb folder.

There is a similar Permissions and also a ACL sub-menu inside the Shared Folders section. Select/highlight the Nextclouddb folder and then click on permissions and check the box next to the user you have. Save and then click on the ACL sub-menu and what I did was check the box by my user, admin, and root. Save and close.

Now, all that being said, I was not able to produce a proper custom.cnf file. I hope this is a small piece of the puzzle you have been looking for. I'm still looking for more pieces. I am currently on my fourth fresh install of OMV. For me, on a Raspberry pi 3 B+, I have put NextCloud on the back burner for a while. Right now I have OMV with Syncthing plugin running smoothly (well, almost).

I am convinced that Docker is poison to the Raspberry pi 3 B+. Don't even try to download an image unless it has a "rpi-" prefix to it, and then sit around and wait forever for someone to stumble in and explain to you how to configure the Mariadb (I haven't even gotten to the Nextcloud part.) Enough of my babble. Hope you find what you are looking for Nefertiti.

• Yes I am realizing this since my sd card got corrupted my backup did not have docker installed and now am unable to activate the docker repo!
    UPDATE
    At least I fixed this part I was a DNS error

• Offizieller Beitrag

Definitely still struggling big time on this wish TechnoDadLife could give me a hint!
    UPDATE

Well I think for the Raspberry we need to use the servers below in dockers
    lsioarmhf/nextcloud
    lsioarmhf/mariadb

Interesting I will give it a try.

Incidentally, I have been messing with an Odroid UX4. OMV installed like butter with the Odroid package. I haven't tried to add Nextcloud yet. (Got Nextcloud to work perfectly by itself on top of Ubuntu-Mate 18.04 on the Odroid.) I wonder if those Docker packages will work with it in OMV.

I read somewhere that OMV uses Nginx and Nextcloud uses Apache. I guess that is why Nextcloud has to have MariaDB installed with it, and that MariaDB is a suitable alternative to Apache-probably a slimmer install.

• Interesting I will give it a try.
    Incidentally, I have been messing with an Odroid UX4. OMV installed like butter with the Odroid package. I haven't tried to add Nextcloud yet. (Got Nextcloud to work perfectly by itself on top of Ubuntu-Mate 18.04 on the Odroid.) I wonder if those Docker packages will work with it in OMV.

I read somewhere that OMV uses Nginx and Nextcloud uses Apache. I guess that is why Nextcloud has to have MariaDB installed with it, and that MariaDB is a suitable alternative to Apache-probably a slimmer install.

Almost done except a permission issue
    see Nextcloud cofigure database Localhost etc

• Yes, use the lsioarmhf images. It says that on the youtube page description. I guess I didn't do that here. I have have two videos about images for the Raspberry Pi.

Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced go here and check out the Raspberry Pi Intermediate videos. I show several different ways to pick the right container.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, use the lsioarmhf images.

Using the lsioarmhf images did it for me on the Odroid XU4. Thanks for the videos. I should have read the YouTube page description. I’m still working on a few hitches but I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

• Yes, use the lsioarmhf images. It says that on the youtube page description. I guess I didn't do that here. I have have two videos about images for the Raspberry Pi.

Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced go here and check out the Raspberry Pi Intermediate videos. I show several different ways to pick the right container.

Well I did not find them so I add them in the comment there anyway great video cannot wait for part2

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nefertiti-There may be some confusion here. You won't see the comments if you are viewing the video from the forums. You need to view the video at the YouTube site and read the comments below.

Tecno Dad Life-One thing that threw me right at the end @ 11:07 in the first Nextcloud video was that you said/typed nextcloud as the database name instead of nextclouddb. The setup timed out on the browser. After screaming in pain a few seconds I clicked the back arrow in Firefox and changed the database name and it set up perfectly. One question (for now) on the second video: why do you register several subdomain names with Duck DNS, and why would you list several in the Letsencrypt setup? Don't you need just one subdomain name to set up?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!