USB install to same USB or Debian install?

• Hello,
    So previously I installed and ran FreeNas from one 32G SandDisk Cruiser USB. (I.E Burned the installs files a USB, Plugged that USB into the box installed the FreeNas from that USB onto the same USB)

I tried to do the same process for OMV. When I got the partitioning part of the install I got a red box and saying something about no ext4 partition to install onto.
    After that failing. I tried to reinstall again encase I done something wrong. When I booted of the USB I just got a blinking cursor which makes me wonder that I can't install onto the same USB.

Do I need a second USB to install OMV to? The box I have only has 4 slots for HDD which I want and need to use for my 4 x 2T drives. I don't have room for another disk.

I tried to do some reading on how to do this but didn't' get very far. I only got more concerns. I read on OMV sites that it is not recommended to install OMV on a USB. Which I find odd as its just the OS the writes will be happening on the disks not the OS.

I also read there are several ways to install OMV. Which makes me wonder what is the best method I should be using?

Should I continue to do it the way I am trying?
    Should I try to learn how to install Debian LInux on the USB instead. After that Should I install lamp and set it up manually, should I use docker?

I hope I have withheld the rant.

• Hello,
    So previously I installed and ran FreeNas from one 32G SandDisk Cruiser USB. (I.E Burned the installs files a USB, Plugged that USB into the box installed the FreeNas from that USB onto the same USB)

I tried to do the same process for OMV. When I got the partitioning part of the install I got a red box and saying something about no ext4 partition to install onto.
    After that failing. I tried to reinstall again encase I done something wrong. When I booted of the USB I just got a blinking cursor which makes me wonder that I can't install onto the same USB.

Do I need a second USB to install OMV to? The box I have only has 4 slots for HDD which I want and need to use for my 4 x 2T drives. I don't have room for another disk.

I tried to do some reading on how to do this but didn't' get very far. I only got more concerns. I read on OMV sites that it is not recommended to install OMV on a USB. Which I find odd as its just the OS the writes will be happening on the disks not the OS.

I also read there are several ways to install OMV. Which makes me wonder what is the best method I should be using?

Should I continue to do it the way I am trying?
    Should I try to learn how to install Debian LInux on the USB instead. After that Should I install lamp and set it up manually, should I use docker?

I hope I have withheld the rant.

• Do I need a second USB to install OMV to?

Yep. And it's perfectly fine to run off an USB stick as long as you test the device in question at least once for fake capacity (f3 h2testw site:forum.openmediavault.org) and then activate OMV Extras and the flashmemory plugin to reduce wear on flash media.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!