Move admin system support to USB -> DD

• After several weeks, I finally managed to configure my OMV.
    I used a USB Memory key but I would now like to move OMV administration on a SSD. Is it possible ?
    it's very long to set everything right and I'm missing some data ?

• Since OMV is just an add-on on top of Debian your question boils down to this web search when you're using a PC: 'grub move debian from usb to sata'

That's assuming you want to attach the SSD to a SATA port. Since boot drive performance doesn't matter that much and SSDs with an OMV system on it are almost as fast behind an USB2 port than a 'real' SATA port I would think about putting the SSD into an USB enclosure since then you can simply offline clone your USB pendrive to the USB SSD and do not run into any hassles with GRUB and booting. This way you can keep the USB stick and clone your installation to it from time to time to keep some sort of a backup.

• Since OMV is just an add-on on top of Debian your question boils down to this web search when you're using a PC: 'grub move debian from usb to sata'

That's assuming you want to attach the SSD to a SATA port. Since boot drive performance doesn't matter that much and SSDs with an OMV system on it are almost as fast behind an USB2 port than a 'real' SATA port I would think about putting the SSD into an USB enclosure since then you can simply offline clone your USB pendrive to the USB SSD and do not run into any hassles with GRUB and booting. This way you can keep the USB stick and clone your installation to it from time to time to keep some sort of a backup.

Yes, i think it's "just" clone USB to SSD.
    I use 8Go, it's not enought and i reading in this forum usb stick is not a good option because i generate many error in the time :(
    I don't found good plugin in OMV

Thank you for your attention, i'm very newbie, but i try :)

• I use 8Go, it's not enought and i reading in this forum usb stick is not a good option because i generate many error in the time

8 GB is more than sufficient if you don't use plugins like Plex. And the problem with USB sticks and SD cards is that users are not aware of counterfeit products with faked capacity. Users buy an 8GB stick that is 2 GB in reality and then all of a sudden the stick stops working once the real capacity is exceeded. That's why it's that important to always test flash memory products prior to usage.

(there also the flashmemory plugin is mentioned that reduces wear on flash media and it's also explained why SSDs are often the better choice due to SMART support)

• 8 GB is more than sufficient if you don't use plugins like Plex. And the problem with USB sticks and SD cards is that users are not aware of counterfeit products with faked capacity. Users buy an 8GB stick that is 2 GB in reality and then all of a sudden the stick stops working once the real capacity is exceeded. That's why it's that important to always test flash memory products prior to usage.

(there also the flashmemory plugin is mentioned that reduces wear on flash media and it's also explained why SSDs are often the better choice due to SMART support)

I use flashmemory plugin and i follow readme :)
    My USB are real capacity, it's not a fake USB.
    I move docker folder, virtualbox and plex to a other support (DD 2To).
    I use 2.5Go for the moment but i understand, it's possible to clone my USB to a other more recent and speed, right ?

• it's possible to clone my USB to a other more recent and speed, right ?

Sure. But there are caveats depending on the way you clone (device clone will also copy the partition table so you end up with your target being afterwards as small as the source) and how the bootloader references the disks it boots from. I only deal with OMV on ARM devices and there a so called UUID is used. No idea how this works on x86 PCs with Grub. I hope others chime in and help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you want to use new/different partition table, you could setup the new drive with at least one partition/filesystem for the OS. Then you could rsync/copy/whatever the files to the new partition. To get things working, you would need to install grub on the new disk and change the root filesystem uuid in /etc/fstab. Not difficult but I would just clone the old stick to a new device and use gparted to use the rest of the new space.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If you want to use new/different partition table, you could setup the new drive with at least one partition/filesystem for the OS. Then you could rsync/copy/whatever the files to the new partition. To get things working, you would need to install grub on the new disk and change the root filesystem uuid in /etc/fstab. Not difficult but I would just clone the old stick to a new device and use gparted to use the rest of the new space.

I dont understand :( . I will found a tutorial

• Offizieller Beitrag

I dont understand

That was for tkaiser. Just clone the sd card to the new device with clonezilla. Then boot gparted-live and resize the partition and filesystem. I think there is even a guide on this forum for that.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!