Unable to see device name in Windows 7 Explorer homegroup

• Let me open by thanking users for their help in this forum.

I have 2 QNAP NVRs,
    11 IP cameras,
    Two of the Win 7 PCs share a common directory on one PC for a multi-user Quickbooks program, and
    Numerous Win 7 Pro 64 PC's who share networked HP printers.

All on the same static IP network like 192.168.XXX.0/24 LAN with
    One common Netgear SOHO gateway router, and
    One Gigabit switch.

I have most recently added a latest version OMV server (called NAS1) which I would like to use for backing up one of the QNAP's files in a Remote Replication on the OMV server.

I have created three shared CIFS/SMB folders, one user with a password, and what appears to be all the correct public permissions.

If I log in to the LAN gateway router, it shows 28 devices including my OMV "NAS1" by name, IP, and MAC address as well as the two QNAP NVRs, numerous PCs, and Network printers.

If I open Win Explorer on any of the PCs I can "see" all devices the same as on the router except the NAS1.
    However, if I type in \\"IpOfTheNAS1" I can see the three shared folders and read, write, or delete files to them with no username or password required.

Among other tried settings, I have configured the OMV server to use the domain of "homegroup" and the WINS server of the IP address of my gateway router.

So my questions are:

1.) How can I make the OMV server show as a storage device in Win Explorer?

I have tried to test the Remote Replication service on one of the QNAPs with or without username and password, various combinations of paths, and the QNAP refused to make a test connection. I expect this problem is related to question 1.

2.) Any suggestions for the proper settings that should be used to create the Remote Replication service on the QNAP NVR?

Thank you,

Ira
    Member: ewaste

• Offizieller Beitrag

Among other tried settings, I have configured the OMV server to use the domain of "homegroup"

I know someone who can help you with this, but, homegroup, is that applied to every machine on your network, i.e. in control panel>>system>>advanced system settings>>computer name then change the workgroup to homegroup and it would be the same on your Qnap's so they all belong to the same group. I know you have enabled Wins but it may not be enough.
    So on my machines if I do ipconfig it will display Connection-specific DNS Suffix
    I use OMV's DNS/DHCP and this sets the domain entry for DHCP

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

OMV 6x amd64 running on an HP N54L Microserver

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!