SD Card Size of file system

• OMV 4.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• SD Card Size of file system

If I use a 32GB SD card (e.g Sandisk Ultra A1) on a SBC is it better

a// to create a file system of only 8 GB, as this is enough for OMV (in this specific case; no docker, no plex) or
      b// to resize the file system to the full capacity?

Or is there no difference as this is handled by the firmware of the SD card?

This is assuming that I do not want to use the unused space on the SC card for any user data. Just want to optimize the lifetime of the card.
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - Seagate ST4000DM004 - OMV4.x
      Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - 16GB - 2x Seagate ST3000VN000 - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:

The post was edited 1 time, last by tkaiser: Fix type for search engine ().

• macom wrote:

Or is there no difference as this is handled by the firmware of the SD card?

No difference but this is not firmware related but due to assumed
      1. same write patterns
      2. leading to same amount of Write Amplification
      3. resulting in same amount of data written at the flash layer (the lowest of three to consider!!!)
      With an 8 GB partition you could also use an 8 GB card (that will wear out 4 times faster then!) but with such a small card you'll loose the ability to use the remaining 24GB of your SD card as an insanely energy efficient data share (that's the main reason to NOT fully resize SD cards with Armbian based OMV installs)
    • macom wrote:

use a 32GB card instead of a 8GB card will wear out the card 1/4 no matter if the file system on the card is using 8GB or 32GB?
      Yep. At least if **same** write patterns happen. If you put your Plex database on the 32 GB card which will not work on an 8 GB card then things are entirely different.

As usual there's another exception but I want to have this thread searchable so I shut up now.
    • tkaiser wrote:

Yep. At least if **same** write patterns happen.
      Yes, same use case.

tkaiser wrote:

As usual there's another exception but I want to have this thread searchable so I shut up now.
      Don't. Give me (us) your opinion (based on knowledge, as usual).
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - Seagate ST4000DM004 - OMV4.x
      Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - 16GB - 2x Seagate ST3000VN000 - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:
    • macom wrote:

same use case
      With same 'use case' 4GB would be enough for an OMV rootfs. And with a modern SD card (A1 rated and starting at 16 GB capacity!) there will be no difference whatsoever whether you partition the card or use the full capacity. With full size you only loose the ability to have a data share as well on the SD card (which is pretty cool BTW since insanely power saving)

With old SD cards (everything prior to A1 specs) it's an entirely different story since the majority of them implements wear leveling and garbage collection rather poorly and with such cards it really helps to not use the full capacity (leave a spare area of at least 2% to help the card's controller with wear leveling and garbage collection).