OMV not expanding my ZFS pool size after HD upgrade

• The OMV UI recognizes the incorrect size of my zfs pool versus what it reads using command line. I came from freenas but zfs is different on BSD so what I did was test it on my old system to confirm it wasn't just me and it reads correctly. However since zfs is slightly different on linux based systems so I completely started over by creating a new pool just to make sure and it still doesn't read the correct storage capacity.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe this could be changed to avoid confusion?

Everything in the web interface is GiB or TiB. I think it would be more confusing to change just the zfs plugin. The only thing I see to change the CLI is the -p flag which changes it to bytes.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Fair enough :)

What about a footnote?

“Please note: sizes displayed here are in TiB to stay in line with OMV. Sizes displayed by the zpool command are in TB.”

Or is this just stupid? :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Offizieller Beitrag

“Please note: sizes displayed here are in TiB to stay in line with OMV. Sizes displayed by the zpool command are in TB.”

Or is this just stupid?

Most plugins have an area to put notes like that. The zfs plugin is one of them that does not. So, not sure where to put the note. That said, I'm sure we will always have the problem since a lot of windows users re-use drives that they had in Windows and wonder why the capacity is different under linux :)

• True. But I think this is particularly confusing because users who run OMV and ZFS may eventually find themselves using the ZFS tools in the CLI and there is a mismatch between the way they each display sizes. At least if you moved from Win to Linux you don’t have 2 different figures staring at you. But then I suppose one could also argue that if you’re using the command line and the ZFS tools in the terminal then you should probably notice that one is TB and one is TiB. Took me a second to spot it... but then I don’t use the plugin to manage my pools. I use it so my pools are available as shares. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

At least if you moved from Win to Linux you don’t have 2 different figures staring at you.

Actually you do have different figures since Windows shows in GB/TB and the OMV web interface is showing GiB/TiB. This has confused quite a few people new to OMV. I don't have any ideas to make this better other than if you are using ZFS, pay attention to the unit it is using :)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I meant on the same system at the same time. Ie. Look at the CLI you get one, at the GUI the other - if you’ve left Windows behind you won’t be looking at those numbers. But yes, knowledge is probably the best solution :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

if you’ve left Windows behind you won’t be looking at those numbers

If only we could get more people to do that :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!