mdadm problem at the end of the installation

• Hello,

I've some trouble to install OVM on a new Debian 9 system and I hope I'll find the solution with you after choosing the red pill lol

So, first at all, I've to say that I was really satisfy to enter in the matrix after installing Debian in a mac pro 2009, via a dual boot who isn't very easy to use (thanks to Refind). So let's talk about open media vault:

OVM is installed into my SSD dual boot drive and I have a second HDD full of non-important datas to be sure that I can plug the other drives (my anita blond collection is safe).

So, as it's written on many tutorials, I'm logged in root, then:

and then:

the installation process seems to be ok but at the end, I got this:

Code
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.9.0-8-amd64
    W: mdadm: /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf defines no arrays.
    Processing triggers for openmediavault (4.1.11) ...
    Restarting engine daemon ...
    Updating locale files ...
    Updating file permissions ...
    Purging internal cache ...

so as many users, when I ovm-initsystem, I have this result:

Code

I've checked the mdadm.conf and he has no array configured.... So as I can access to my HDD and read the datas,

for example:

Code
    sudo blkid
    /dev/sda1: LABEL="EFI" UUID="67E3-17ED" TYPE="vfat" PARTLABEL="EFI System Partition" PARTUUID="e556a5ed-5024-45ac-ac7c-6277e77ecfb6"
    /dev/sda2: UUID="efcb59ec-a308-3b87-8ae1-d48974ad69f0" LABEL="SSD" TYPE="hfsplus" PARTLABEL="System" PARTUUID="93c77edc-d7eb-428f-bc48-8ba9ae6e1223"
    /dev/sda3: UUID="1db844cc-ecc5-3712-be17-f64ee56befae" LABEL="Recovery HD" TYPE="hfsplus" PARTLABEL="Recovery HD" PARTUUID="0f9ab93b-4c49-40c7-9ac4-02ffb85f15e2"
    /dev/sda4: UUID="4285f23d-73cc-4e00-89e9-e192cffe7229" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="f9eaee58-9166-4a89-a1df-2785fb15cff9"
    /dev/sda5: UUID="4c40fe7e-19de-4c48-aba6-7e1f6a3635f0" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="6e011df5-b541-4e69-acf1-97cf5009f580"
    /dev/sdb1: LABEL="EFI" UUID="2860-11F4" TYPE="vfat" PARTLABEL="EFI system partition" PARTUUID="00002a10-4b58-0000-001a-0000f5770000"
    /dev/sdb2: UUID="53e03bc5-97dd-3445-a946-f58ce0a5f93b" LABEL="Video" TYPE="hfsplus" PARTLABEL="Customer" PARTUUID="000037d5-33ee-0000-0643-0000936f0000"

I also tried to assemble and scan:

Code
    sudo mdadm --assemble --scan --no-degraded
    mdadm: No arrays found in config file or automatically

Please, helpppppppp ;(

• So, now I try to edit the mdadm.conf like this:

Code
    # definitions of existing MD arrays
    ARRAY /dev/sdb2 metadata=1.2  name=Video:Storage UUID=53e03bc5-97dd-3445-a946-f58ce0a5f93b

then:

Code
    update-initramfs -u
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.9.0-8-amd64
    mdadm: /dev/sdb2 is an invalid name for an md device - ignored.

Strange because can read data in /dev/sdb2

I've to say one more time, it's a new install of Debian 9 and I didn't configure a RAID service. For me OVM would be just composed of 4 HDD with no RAID system for the moment....

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't have any raid arrays, but I'm not sure why you got the warning, if there was any reference to a raid array from the output of blkid this would be at the end of any drive within an array TYPE="linux_raid_member"

BTW the way when you're logged in as root you don't need sudo in front of any commands :) (sudo; super user do)

• yeah, I realized that I can't use sudo as user because the account isn't registred in the sudoers file. BTW, the type of the HDD is "hfsplus". I read a lot of topics about mdadm and it seems that it's used for RAID system but in my case, I just want to put the HDD I used under mac osX....

• So, I tried the known method and put

Code
    ARRAY devices=/dev/sda

Register, re-open the mdadm.conf, everything is ok.

then:

Code
    omv-initsystem

So, re-check the mdadm.conf and the array devices ligne has disappeared!!!

geaves: here is the type of the blkid:

So the type is "hfsplus", no "linux raid member" reference. You know, I just plugged the SDB HDD after the installation to be sure to keep datas safe. Is it a problem?

• Offizieller Beitrag

TBH the only thing I would question which I am having difficulty getting my head around, you've set up a dual boot Mac for the Mac OS and Debian, that's fine, but why install OMV?

Let me give a scenario I have a W10 desktop I want to dual boot with Debian, so from the boot menu I can select W10 or Debian, if I select W10, Debian isn't loaded, I've never understood the need for dual booting within today's environment when creating a VM is just as easy.

OMV is a standalone distro designed for a specific purpose (I could get whipped for that) but in some cases it's necessary to install Debian then OMV or if the user chooses they can do that. But in your case simply installing Debian for dual boot purposes would be sufficient.

Just to clarify mdadm is a software raid utility for Linux and when created writes that information to each disk within the raid.

I've no idea why that error was thrown, but if you can see your data from both O/S's then it's fine.

• Well, I understand your question and I have to say it's a long story!

First at all, I tried to create a dual boot only between OSX and OVM. But to do that, I had to make a lot of changes because it's not as easy as 10 years ago to create dual or triple boots. I didn't complete the process with OMV but I succeed with Debian. I've administred a couple of dedicated servers and when I read it's more easy to install OVM on Debian, I've choosen this option.

And to finish, I can't anymore access to the rEFInd menu since I've installed Debian. So I've to find a solution....

For the HDD, I mounted it in Debian and I can read the datas as in osx.

My last and only problem is that I can't start OMV because of the mdadm and it's crazy because I don't to install a raid system, only access to the datas!!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've to say one more time, it's a new install of Debian 9 and I didn't configure a RAID service. For me OVM would be just composed of 4 HDD with no RAID system for the moment....

So you do not want to have and have not configured a raid?

Why do you care about the warning? It just tells you that OMV could not find any raid. Which seems to be totally ok in your case?

Sorry if I missed something in the thread.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My last and only problem is that I can't start OMV because of the mdadm and it's crazy because I don't to install a raid system

By the power of google there maybe a solution add this to the mdadm.conf file ARRAY <ignore> devices=/dev/sda it should go under # definitions of existing MD arrays.

• Offizieller Beitrag

And to finish, I can't anymore access to the rEFInd menu since I've installed Debian.

Does this site give any help? Ok it's a MacBook but the principle would be the same, the issue is the Grub boot loader is being used, so you'll have to make some configuration changes.....way beyond my pay grade :)

• OMG guys, I feel so bad.... I was waiting something like a new window but the system was just here, in the explorer...... my bad, I'm so sorry

So, if someone stupid like me read this topic: after omv-initsystem, you just have to go to your interface by the web browser, thank you so much for your help!!!!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!