Help with Docker - OMV 3

• OMV 3.x
    • Help with Docker - OMV 3

Hi,

first, english is not my native language. So please forgive my spelling mistakes!

I use OMV 3 with the docker plugin. It is very cool and I would like to do more.
      I have some generell difficulties understanding with docker.
      Can someone explain thefollowing setting within the container?

Volumes and Bind mount:

Does this mean, that the path in the container will linked to a path ( outside this container ) on my host system?

How is the syntax for the container path? "/folder" or "folder/" ?

Volumes from:

I have no idea what this means!

If the container is already created and running. How can I edit the setting without lose the complete settings.

For example:

I installed nextcloud. Thean I changed the port of the container. I had to select the database again and assign a new admin.

How can I prevent this?

Now that I have played a lot with it, there are a lot of entries in the folder overlay2.
      How can I filter and delete the unused entries?
      I found a guid for delting unused container and images. But not for the entries in the overlay2 folder.

Next problem wioth overlay2:
      docker/overlay2/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
      There are the folders: /diff , /merged , /work
      If I want to edit some files in for example nexcloud.
      Where do I do it?
      In /diff, /merged, or /work?

Or can I link the relevant folders to my host ( see Volumes and Binds ) so I do not have to poke around in docker?

Thanks for your help.
    • Oretuni wrote:

Volumes and Bind mount:

Does this mean, that the path in the container will linked to a path ( outside this container ) on my host system?

How is the syntax for the container path? "/folder" or "folder/" ?
      Yes, correct.

/Folder is the correct, and folder outside the container could not exist, in this case is created.

eg: you want to store persistent config of pihole outside the container.

you can use /home/dockers/pihole to store it, and pihole is not necessary that exist ( /home/dockers/ for other side, must exist).
      OMV 4.1.11 x64 on a HP T510, 16GB CF as Boot Disk & 32GB SSD 2,5" disk for Data, 4 GB RAM, CPU VIA EDEN X2 U4200 is x64 at 1GHz

Post: HPT510 SlimNAS ; HOWTO Install Pi-Hole ; HOWTO install MLDonkey ; HOHTO Install ZFS-Plugin ; OMV_OldGUI ; ShellinaBOX ;
      Dockers: MLDonkey ; PiHole ; weTTY
      Videos: @TechnoDadLife
    • Oretuni wrote:

If the container is already created and running. How can I edit the setting without lose the complete settings.
      Use button "Modify" in docker WEBGUI

PD: Button "Logs" is very useful too, to see the log of the docker and check that is started correctly. (you can clear it using button "Clear Log"

PD: All buttons works per docker, so you need first to select the appropriate docker in the list.
      OMV 4.1.11 x64 on a HP T510, 16GB CF as Boot Disk & 32GB SSD 2,5" disk for Data, 4 GB RAM, CPU VIA EDEN X2 U4200 is x64 at 1GHz

Post: HPT510 SlimNAS ; HOWTO Install Pi-Hole ; HOWTO install MLDonkey ; HOHTO Install ZFS-Plugin ; OMV_OldGUI ; ShellinaBOX ;
    • Oretuni wrote:

Now that I have played a lot with it, there are a lot of entries in the folder overlay2.
      How can I filter and delete the unused entries?
      I found a guid for delting unused container and images. But not for the entries in the overlay2 folder.

Next problem wioth overlay2:
      docker/overlay2/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
      There are the folders: /diff , /merged , /work
      If I want to edit some files in for example nexcloud.
      Where do I do it?
      In /diff, /merged, or /work?

Or can I link the relevant folders to my host ( see Volumes and Binds ) so I do not have to poke around in docker?

Thanks for your help.
      You NEVER need to edit files in overlay folder. to modify files, you need to configure dockers to store config in a persistent folder (post nº 2) and edit in this location ( first stop the docker, then edit config file, next restart the docker to load the change).

• Users Online 1

1 Guest