How to monitor disk health without S.M.A.R.T.?

• Hi everybody,

First of all, please apologize my poor English, as it is not my native language.

I have an OMV 4 setup with a MDADM raid 0 array on a odroid XU4 + cloudshell 2 (i discovered it was flawed and quite unreliable only after buying it :whistling: ). This device is only able to monitor SMART data on one of the two disks of the array, and I don't even know if these data are correct (as it provides fake ones for the second disk…). The two disks are 4 To Seagate barracudas purchased in august 18.

As I have received SMART errors in the last few days, I was looking for a way to monitor the disks more accurately.
    mdadm --detail gives me the following output:

However, I failed to undersand what these "events" mean, and if they are relevant to monitor the disk health. As I understand it, it lists the time superblocks are moved ?

So I was wondering if someone here could provide me more informations on this matter, or maybe advice me another way to check if my disks are (or not) in bad shape ?

If relevant, the system report is below:
    content1538834025.txt

Good Week-end everyone,

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have an OMV 4 setup with a MDADM raid 0 array

Why? this is about as reliable as a chocolate teapot, you're much better off using 1 for data and 1 for backup using any of the backup plugins.

If you want to check the SMART information look under storage smart in there you can set up a scan for each drive and if you want to add some paranoia/concern this is mine :)

Code
    Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
           0       8       16        0      active sync   /dev/sdb
           1       8        0        1      active sync   /dev/sda
           2       8       32        2      active sync   /dev/sdc
           3       8       48        3      active sync   /dev/sdd
  • Hi Geaves, thanks for your reply!

I know that RAID 0 with a dev-board is a ""bold"" choice but all important data are encrypted and backed-up in a remote NAS and in the cloud. In fact i wanted the storage to be as fast as possible. Losing a drive wouldn't be too serious but i would like to be able to expect when it' more likely to occur.

As of the SMART panel on the OMV interface, it isn't able to give me reliable information as my setup has a buggy JMicron 561 raid controller wich only provide smart data for one disk (sda). Furthermore, since the last OMV update even that doesn't work anymore: checking the smart panel keeps refreshing it and the cpu goes to 100% "wait".

Anyway, thanks for your help and have a good day

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!