Root login issue

• Offizieller Beitrag

I know used a desktop environment on the box isn't recommended but it's simpliest for me to do like this. This is the output of command lines.

It was confusing whether you were posting the output from the client or the server. The commands I wanted you to run are meant to be run on the server. I see now that your client has a desktop environment. I missed the part that you mounted the disk on the desktop. There should be no need to do this. If you could access the OMV web interface to see the ssh settings, then you could create a new user that is a member of the sudo group to login to the system. If you can't login with any user via ssh, then try to login locally. If that doesn't work, then you would need to look at the /var/log/auth.log to figure out why. You should be able to look at that file since you have it mounted on your system.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I tried your commands on the server (there is a problem with ssh connection (acces denied) but in local it work. You will find photos with previous commands.

That is very strange output. First, lsb_release should exist. Second, your sshd config is missing the PermitRootLogin line that OMV writes. That makes me think OMV has never written the config file. Third, your Jean user has full sudo privileges. So, you should be able to fix things without the root account.

sudo passwd root will allow you to change the root password.
    omv-mkconf ssh should write the sshd config. After doing that post the output of:
    dpkg -l | grep openm
    grep PermitRootLogin /etc/ssh/sshd_config

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Before do anything else are you sure there isn't anything else to do to create a root user ?

The root user always exists. If you can't login as root via ssh, that is not because the root user does not exist. If you can't login locally with the root user, you have the wrong password. So, that is why I said you should reset the root password.

Just add it in sudo group, no file should be modified ?

Giving a user sudo privileges is not that same as creating a root user. Not sure what file you a referring to.

I can change the root password but same problem with this account (like the video in page 1) ...

Sounds like you may have changed something you shouldn't have. And the omv-mkconf ssh command should have been run with sudo. What is the output of the following:

sudo omv-mkconf ssh
    grep root /etc/passwd
    groups root

• The root user always exists. If you can't login as root via ssh, that is not because the root user does not exist. If you can't login locally with the root user, you have the wrong password. So, that is why I said you should reset the root password

The password has been changed but the page is refresh like I never do something ...

Giving a user sudo privileges is not that same as creating a root user. Not sure what file you a referring to.

Don't know but just a supposition

• Offizieller Beitrag

The password has been changed but the page is refresh like I never do something ...

What is the output of: sudo tail -n20 /var/log/auth.log

• Offizieller Beitrag

I didn't touch anything when I don't have knowledge.

I'm just speculating. Maybe it happened accidentally. I've never seen root locked out like this. auth.log wasn't helpful either. What about:

ls -al /
    sudo su -

• Offizieller Beitrag

It's strange ... when I install omv in june I had root access ...

Something has happened to the system since then. I'm running out of ideas but:

ls -al /bin/bash
    dmesg | tail -n10

• Offizieller Beitrag

You should be able to look at dmesg as a regular user. Did you install this setup from the OMV iso? What is the output of sudo dmesg | tail -n10

I'm really starting to wonder if you system has been hacked or if the install media is failing. Is it on the internet?

• I don't like the result ... I should install again the system on a new media ... I know the best is to install it on a hard disk but it don't exist hard disk with 4 or 8go and use a bigger I find that ridiculous because on the other case I use a big RAID 5, USB key is better for it and easier to do backup of system.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I agree you should re-install. Use OMV 4.x as well. You can use a usb stick (make sure it is new) as long as you have the flashmemory plugin installed like you did previously.

• Ok thank you but so close I need to change usb key every 4 months ... I can use the garantee of the product ^^.

I think to use my first back up. otherwise i will need to save all data on others disk ... because if I reinstall all the OS and create the same folder I will not found the old data.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok thank you but so close I need to change usb key every 4 months ... I can use the garantee of the product ^^.

I have a usb stick in one server that has been running of it for over three years.

because if I reinstall all the OS and create the same folder I will not found the old data.

The data will still be there but could have wrong permissions if the user IDs are different.

• Thank you very much for you help, it seem I had seen clamav plugin can create this problem after time ... Therefore I reinstall OMV with 4.X version and root user work ! :). After recreate again all users ... I will create a iso from the USB key like version 3.x but this time I try without installing clamav plugin !

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!