borg mount share with samba

• Hi,

we male backups via borg plugin. Now we try to mount a borg repo.

- We created a zfs filesystem, on top a shared folder.
    - Then we mounted the borg repo into the shared folder (the mount folder has to be there)
    - Our expectation was that we can share this mounted folder with samba to a user or a group
    - For that purpose we tripple checked al permissions but the mounted borg repo is not visible in the samba share

Anyone has experience with borg, mounts and samba?

• Offizieller Beitrag

we male backups via borg plugin.

There is no Borg plugin! Borg is installed from the cli apt-get install borgbackup.

So you have used the zfs plugin? and then created a shared folder, then pointed the borg repo to that shared folder as per the borg install borg init --encryption=repokey /path/to/repo the important part there is the path statement, if that is incorrect then it's not going to work.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That would explain it, being the testing repo, but the share would be under /srv/dev-disk-by-id etc that is where your share would be located if you're using that as the mount point for borg. If I tag @ryecoaaron for you he should be able to assist.

• That would explain it, being the testing repo, but the share would be under /srv/dev-disk-by-id etc that is where your share would be located if you're using that as the mount point for borg. If I tag @ryecoaaron for you he should be able to assist.

Thank you! The share is a zfs Filesystem tank/borgbackup/...
    Great if @ryecoaaron could have a look at this. I don't want to rule out that it is a user error :) But at least then the GUI is not self explaining enough.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Our expectation was that we can share this mounted folder with samba to a user or a group

When mounting a borg repo, it is mounted on a path. If this path is shared via samba, it should work. Unfortunately, it is read only and the permissions inside the repo could be wrong. So, there is no way to fix this.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• When mounting a borg repo, it is mounted on a path. If this path is shared via samba, it should work. Unfortunately, it is read only and the permissions inside the repo could be wrong. So, there is no way to fix this.

Yes, if we do this via cli the mount works. Via GUI there has to be already a folder with the name of the borg repo inside the shared folder. Then the mount via GUI works. This is a bit complicated, because you have to create a folder with the name of the borg repo before to get it mounted through the GUI.

Now we want to share the mounted borg repo with samba.

Once it is mounted (in a folder of a samba share) samba is not showing up the folder with the borg repo on the samba client. If it is unmounted the share shows the (empty) folder which we have created to get it mounted.

To sum it up :)

1. borg repo mount should create the folder first where the repo is going to be mounted
    2. For some reasons a borg mounted folder is not showing up in a samba share. The folder name and its content is plain not visible

I hope i have expressed myself clearly :) Would love to see this feature working well and would support investigating further.

• Offizieller Beitrag

borg repo mount should create the folder first where the repo is going to be mounted

This must be a change of behavior in a newer version of the borg package. Should be easy to fix.

For some reasons a borg mounted folder is not showing up in a samba share. The folder name and its content is plain not visible

Still seems like a permissions issue but I will look into it.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!