transfer from Ubuntu

• Hi!

I have ASRock J3160DC-ITX - MB with Intel Celeron Quad-core and GLan...
    with
    2x4TB drives EXT4 formated full of data
    8GB ram,

and was using it to run NAS based on ubuntu server for 2 years. but recently, my boot Flash crashed.

I decided to migrate to something easier cause I am no linux pro...
    Also, i decided to add old 120GB SSD as boot drive.

A few questions:
    - will data on my drives be usable without formating? Is there any "how to"?
    - I tuned Samba on Ubuntu with some setting found online to get to nice speeds. Is it possible here also?
    - Also, in Ubuntu, system used the surplus memory (more than 7 GB for "cache") making the NAS even faster in some areas. Does OMV do it similar?

Thanks for replies.

• Offizieller Beitrag

- will data on my drives be usable without formating? Is there any "how to"?

Yes.

Howto: Install OMV with the data drives removed. Then when OMV is working fine, but without any shared folders, add the drives to OMV. Make sure not to wipe the drives or create new filesystems. Add the existing filesystems/partitions by mounting them and create new empty shared folders in each partition. Then move the old contents of the partition(s) to the newly created shared folder(s). You may also have to reset permissions, there is a plugin in OMV for that.

- I tuned Samba on Ubuntu with some setting found online to get to nice speeds. Is it possible here also?

Yes.

- Also, in Ubuntu, system used the surplus memory (more than 7 GB for
    "cache") making the NAS even faster in some areas. Does OMV do it
    similar?

No. However, OMV/Linux already use all the "free" RAM for a big disk read cache. So most likely you would only be able to increase the write cache and the write performance, at the cost of increased risk of data loss in case of power failures.

• Offizieller Beitrag

will data on my drives be usable without formating?

Yes

Is there any "how to"?

Mount them in the filesystems tab. Create shared folders for existing folders. Done.

I tuned Samba on Ubuntu with some setting found online to get to nice speeds. Is it possible here also?

Yes. There is an extra options box in the samba plugin.

Also, in Ubuntu, system used the surplus memory (more than 7 GB for "cache") making the NAS even faster in some areas. Does OMV do it similar?

This is what Linux does. Ubuntu is Linux (based on Debian) and OMV is Linux (is Debian). So, yes.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!