ZFS Mirror Pool creation fails on LUKS-encrypted devices

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'll try to reproduce this, to this on a VM you need to overprovision the disk. Is safe just don't fill the disks with data.

I think the issue is the GPT label creation after i commented out it started to work.

The strange thing is that then i reverted the changes to i went to default master branch, destroy the pool and labels and creation worked this time.

I found another bug, when deleting a pool, seems like there is a string being added to the device to clear, instead of doing

zpool labelclear -f /dev/dm-1

this comes

zpool labelclear -f /dev/dm-11

• Offizieller Beitrag

However, are we 100% sure that this is the way to go?

Not really. I would do a little bit more research. Maybe someone here works as sysadmin with zfs in production in solaris, bsd or linux can provide more insight. The original person that created the plugin backend (years ago) came from solaris environment, having seen him in a while.

cc @miras

• Offizieller Beitrag

However, are we 100% sure that this is the way to go?

zfs on linux will create the gpt if it isn't there. We aren't changing older versions of the plugin where it might act different. So, I would say it can removed.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Feel free to review my code here

That is an impressive amount of work. We appreciate all the help we can get :)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• @dziekon

Great, an additional developer for the zfs plugin is more than welcome. Thanks for the work you have done, even though I don’t have any problem at the moment. ;)

Regards Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Offizieller Beitrag

I actually tried to ask that question on Discord, but it seems you are not present there

Discord? Never used it.

when this is going to be released as a plugin update?
    Or, to better phrase my question, what is the general plugin deployment cycle for all stuff released as a part of omv-extras repo?

I probably ran out of time and forgot. There isn't a cycle really. Plugins are released when the maintainer says they are ready.

what's up with "Releases" section of ZFS plugin?

That was something one developer was doing. Most do not do this. I don't see much benefit in adding releases for things are in the package repo.

it doesn't look very promising for all new developers willing to work on this plugin.

Because there is no up to date release? There are commits and an updated changelog which I consider the source of truth over the releases.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maintaining "releases" section (or tags directly in the repo) has a benefit of easier "release point" discovery for developers. Adding a tag adds an easily discoverable point in repo's history which determines the boundary of said version, which for example can be used to produce code diffs or commit logs between versions. Really useful when someone is trying to understand why, when and how certain things have been implemented or changed (which cannot be comprehensively expressed through debian's package changelog; but it serves a different purpose anyway), especially in open source projects, where literally anyone can decide that they want to help move things forward (but to do this, they need to understand how people before them "did things"). Plus, it's like two or three clicks to do that on Github, so it's really not that time consuming.

I understand how it works and agree with all of that. I would love to have everything official and done the right way (more automation, documentation, etc) but some things are just low on my priority list. Sadly, most things OMV on low on my priority list anymore. And because I wrote a developer plugin to build packages/commit to github, I rarely go to the github page let alone go there to create a release. If you want to add this feature to the developer plugin, I am all for it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!