Upgrading from USB stick drive to SSD in a USB enclosure. Can I do this and keep everything?

• Hi all,

I have a HP Microserver.
    I boot into OMV via a 16GIG USB drive. It's filling up though and I'm worried about errors, the driving failing etc.
    So I am considering setting up one of the new m2 SSD drives in a USB enclosure and transferring the USB data from the 16Gig USB to the new SSD/USB.

Is there a proven way to to do this? If so, can anyone offer advice / suggestions?

Thanks so much

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a proven way to to do this? If so, can anyone offer advice / suggestions?

Clone it with clonezilla. I have done this many times. You can either install clonezilla from omv-extras and boot it on the box from grub -or- you can boot any box with clonezilla and both usb drives plugged in.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Clone it with clonezilla. I have done this many times. You can either install clonezilla from omv-extras and boot it on the box from grub -or- you can boot any box with clonezilla and both usb drives plugged in.

So it turns out my OMV install is broken (see this thread: Can't login to web admin panel. Software Failure. Press left mouse button to continue. Incorrect username or password. ) so cloning would be a bad idea. Is there another way to do say, a clean install, yet somehow re-mount my raid drives etc properly? I just don't want to lose that data. Thanks so much...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there another way to do say, a clean install, yet somehow re-mount my raid drives etc properly?

Yep. Install fresh and the filesystems should show up in the filesystems tab. Mount them there and re-create the users and shared folders.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Excellent thank you. I assume I simply need to name the shared folders the same to have them appear with all their data intact etc? As soon as the new boot disc arrives (doing an upgrade to an m.2 in a USB enclosure) I'll try that. Much appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I assume I simply need to name the shared folders the same to have them appear with all their data intact etc?

Yes but if you create the users in a different order, they may have a different ID. So, the files may been owned by the wrong owner. You can fix this with the resetperms plugin.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!