Issues copying files from Windows share

• Hiya all...

Sorry, but I'm a total Linux newbie. I followed tkaiser's guide (thanks tkaiser ☺️) and installed/configured OMV 4.x on an Orangepi PC2. Setup the drive as EXT4, created home directories, setup users (family) etc. Everything works fine. Decided to copy some music files from my wife's Windows 7 PC. Unfortunately, any files with French accents (e.g. "C'était la dernière fois") aren't getting copied over, I suspect that this has to do with encoding (UTF16 V vs. UTF8?). Is there any command line command that I can use so these files get copied over? I've searched online, but haven't been able to find anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Greg

• Offizieller Beitrag

suspect that this has to do with encoding (UTF16 V vs. UTF8?)

Highly probable, there are some on line conversion tools will this work, don't know, make a copy of one and try. Can be done in windows using powershell and in can be done under linux, either way it involves some work on each file.

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

OMV 6x amd64 running on an HP N54L Microserver

• Hmmmm, my wife is a Francophone, so most of her 5000+ songs will have to be converted. At this point I may be better off re-formatting the drive back to NTFS, create a share and add the users and permissions. Considering that most of her current and future docs will have French names, I might have to go this route. I was hoping that there was some magic command that I could type at the command line that would convert the EXT4 drive to UTF16. Oh well, part of the learning process.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!