NAS Backup to another NAS

• HI,
    I will backup my HP NL54 NAS to another D-Link DNS-323 NAS with rsync plugin. Installed is the actual OMV version on the NL54.
    Using push mode.
    If I am using " //joe@192.177.98.94::TEST" as destination, then the source files are copied (run modus) , but I can not see were they are copied! I don't find the files on the 323 NAS! RUN report said all is OK.
    BUT: My 323 NAS has two drives inside ! Then I used:
    "//joe@192.177.98.94::mnt/HD_a2/testbackup" to send it to one of both drives.
    But this results in:
    "sending incremental file list
    rsync: mkdir "//joe@192.177.98.94::mnt/HD_a2/testbackup" failed: No such file or directory (2)
    rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(595) [Receiver=3.0.7]
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (9 bytes received so far) [sender]
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(601) [sender=3.0.7] "

Question: How to tell rsync using the first drive as destination and which syntax I should use?

Thanks for your help!
    Joe

• I don't have a D-link NAS but I use rsync to copy from my main NAS to my backup NAS like you do. I have it working by making the backup NAS pulling through rsync from the main NAS.

Are you sure that the user you're rsync is loggin in to your D-link NAS have write rights to "/mnt/HD_a2/"?
    Can you via ssh login to you D-link NAS with the rsync account/password you're using and make a dir with

Code
    mkdir /mnt/HD_a2/test
  • Thanks for your quick reply! Tried to use rsync manually as you proposed and ran into several problems. At least I needed to set up the rsync-deamon in the DNS-323. :cry:
    Now it works (with some little problems ...) with rsync on CLI. Need to investigate further with OMV and then I will come back to you next week (I am offline for a few days).

Joe

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "joe the runner"

My post is always flagged as SPAM.
    How can I avoid this?

Once you have a few more posts, you won't have as much trouble. Keep the posts a little shorter and just post more of them.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks. Will give a try and split my post.
    ------------------
    Just thinking about to install Windows server on my HPN54L......
    After testing hours and hours I ran into several issues were I have no more ideas....
    Here is the story:
    Login as root over CLI on N54L NAS and using rsync to copy something to my D-Link NAS works fine. Performance is very slow (1GB link) but it works.

• result (run mode) :
    Please wait, syncing </media/4a3b5240-8847-45da-b31a-6df999b50d11/root/test//> to <//root@192.168.90.44::test> ...
    sending incremental file list
    created directory //root@192.168.90.44::test
    ./
    IMG_1698.CR2
    sent 29176113 bytes received 34 bytes 19450764.67 bytes/sec
    total size is 29172457 speedup is 1.00

• Please wait, syncing </media/4a3b5240-8847-45da-b31a-6df999b50d11/root/test//> to <//root@192.168.90.44::test> ...
    sending incremental file list
    ./
    IMG_1698.xmp
    sent 6938 bytes received 34 bytes 13944.00 bytes/sec
    total size is 29179286 speedup is 4185.21

• Again I can't see the file on my D-LINK. BUT !!: Because I felt that there is something wrong, I used the wrong password and the result showed that the transfer was done correctly ! What is wrong here?
    At least I think that nothing was copied. If I try now the same command, then I always get the message that only incremental file list was sent (because the file is already at the destination).

• First question:
    Why does the copy job does not work? What is wrong in my command? (Over CLI ist works) And why the message says that everything is fine?
    Differn't other commands result with the same error message as I wrote in my first post.
    Second:
    Setting up the rsync command I have to define the source folder. Then this folder is a shared folder. Why? If I delete the rsync job, there is still a shared folder. deleting the shared folder in OVM
    deletes the folder physically on the disk. I don't understand this. Then I deleted the shared folder in OVM. Then I searched the folder with the explorer - it is away. OK, BUT if I login via CLI as root I can
    still see the folder in the home directory.

• First question:
    Why does the copy job does not work? What is wrong in my command? (Over CLI ist works) And why the message says that everything is fine?
    Differn't other commands result with the same error message as I wrote in my first post.
    Second:
    Setting up the rsync command I have to define the source folder. Then this folder is a shared folder. Why? If I delete the rsync job, there is still a shared folder. deleting the shared folder in OVM
    deletes the folder physically on the disk. I don't understand this. Then I deleted the shared folder in OVM. Then I searched the folder with the explorer - it is away. OK, BUT if I login via CLI as root I can
    still see the folder in the home directory.

• I am not an linux expert but if I need to be an expert to use OVM for basic operations then I should change to Microsoft... (Which I don't want...)

Can someone give me a working command to copy files via OMV rsync to an differen't NAS and maybe answers my second question?
    I am very confused and frustrated at the moment.

Regards
    Joe

• The files are being sync as the log shows. The question what rights the are stores with on your D-LINK nas.
    I don't know D-LINK nas'es but if you can log in as root (su to root) you should be able to see the file.
    Do a

Code
    ls -al {path to file}

to se which user:group has rights to the file at the rsync target (D-link).

I allways do the rsync job as a pull job because my experience is that this is easier to setup with the correct rights to the files at the target.

• Hi Joe,

did you get that sync between OMV and your D-Link working?
    I have a D-Link DNS-345... and somehow every connection will be refused.

I would like to know, which settings on your D-Link were necessary?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!