HDD issues, model n/a, Serial Number incorrect

• Dear community,

Short story + question
    Wiping a disk after a (possibly) failed BTRFS partition results in model shown as 'n/a' and a incorrect Serial Number (see screenshot 'Disc_NOK). In the past and on a different system the model is shown and the Serial Number is different (see screenshot 'Disc_OK'). Also verified with a second disk, this one has the same issue (no model and S/N on main system, model and correct S/N on second system). What could be causing this and how to solve it?

Long story
    Earlier today I wanted to download some files via nzbget. I returned a lot of permission related errors. Further investigation showed that the entire disk was read only and that the BTRFS partition got damaged. Unfortunately I can't recall all steps/errors done,

• btrfs-zero-log /dev/sdb1 <-- this one didn't work but the command line gave the proper directions;
    • btrfs free extent errno 5 io failure.

Since I have multiple backups on a second system I didn't want to spend to much time in investigating what was causing the issue (as always, time was critical :rolleyes: ). Therefore I wanted to wipe the disk, create a new BTRFS file system and sync the files back from the second system. Then the error of 'model n/a' and incorrect S/N arose. Steps I tried to solve the issue:

• Wipe disk, create partition:

• on main system;
      • on second system;
      • on laptop+Linux;
    • Deleted all Shared folders which exist on the HDD;
    • Multiple reboots in between the Wiping/creation of BTRFS partition, all to no avail.

Still no correct model and S/N shown.

I thought maybe the SATA port on the HC1 got damaged, however I'm able to create a BTRFS partition, shared folder for samba and I can read/write to this folder from a laptop+Windows.

Setup
    Main system: OMV running on a Odroid HC1 with the image provided by Tkaiser+ARMbian (started with OMV 3 and updated it myself to OMV 4)
    This setup is running on a 32 GB Samsung Evo Plus Mirco-sd card
    Gigabit wired connection

Second system: OMV running on a Banana Pi M1 with the image provided by Tkaiser+ARMbian (couple of weeks ago a fresh install with OMV 4.1x)
    This setup is running on a 16 GB Samsung Evo Micro-sd card
    Gigabit wired connection

If more information is required please let me know. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm not sure if this is the right section, feel free to move it :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Also verified with a second disk, this one has the same issue (no model and S/N on main system, model and correct S/N on second system).

To me that would point to a controller problem/issue rather than the drive, seeing as how you have tested another HD, but you say you can create a file system, share and access it....on a standard pc you would just look in the bios.

I might have missed something in your write up, have you attached the drive to the Banana Pi? and if so does the information display the drive information correctly.

• To me that would point to a controller problem/issue rather than the drive, seeing as how you have tested another HD, but you say you can create a file system, share and access it....on a standard pc you would just look in the bios.
    I might have missed something in your write up, have you attached the drive to the Banana Pi? and if so does the information display the drive information correctly.

1. What do you mean with 'on a standard pc you would just look in the bios'?
    2. I've connected the HDD to the Banana Pi (second system). There it shows the correct info. Also tested with another HDD which works as expected on the Banana Pi but not on the Odroid HC1.

Any hints on verifying if the (SATA?) controller is giving the issue?
    This weekend I want to write a fresh image on a separate micro-SD card to see if the information then is shown correctly.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What do you mean with 'on a standard pc you would just look in the bios'?

Sorry should have made that clearer, drive information is viewable in the bios on a laptop/pc but that's not possible on sbc's. The fact that you have connected the drive to a banana pi and the information is displayed correctly could point to a problem with the controller on the HC1, or another thought is the sd card on the HC1 is corrupt but usable.
    You've already eliminated the drive, so it's either the HC1 or the sd card running the HC1.

• Sorry should have made that clearer, drive information is viewable in the bios on a laptop/pc but that's not possible on sbc's. The fact that you have connected the drive to a banana pi and the information is displayed correctly could point to a problem with the controller on the HC1, or another thought is the sd card on the HC1 is corrupt but usable.You've already eliminated the drive, so it's either the HC1 or the sd card running the HC1.

Ah okay, thanks!
    As mentioned in my previous post I'll try a new install on a different sd card. Searching for 'HC1 sata broken' resulted in this hit: https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=29138. This person also managed to solve the issue with a fresh install.

There's still hope :P Otherwise I'm buying a new HC1 to prevent future issues.

• Well good luck with it, certainly an odd one, not something I've seen before either.

Thanks!
    With a fresh image on a different sd card the issue remains. Think I need to buy myself a new one and find a new purpose for a "SATA-less" HC1.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you tried if updating the firmware of the sata bridge helps?

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/software/jms578_fw_update

If not, might be worth a try. I assume the market for sataless HC1 is quite small ;)

• So
    FOR SALE

1 x Sataless HC1 open to offers :D

:D:thumbup:

Have you tried if updating the firmware of the sata bridge helps?

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/software/jms578_fw_update

If not, might be worth a try. I assume the market for sataless HC1 is quite small ;)

I didn't update the firmware. I was (wrongly?) assuming that the latest images for Openmediavault includes the latest firmware. When I get back home I'll check the firmware version and, if applicable, update it.

• Who would've thought, after updating the firmware I was able to see the S/N's of three different HDD's. :thumbup: Verified that they were correct by placing them in the backup device as well.
    The model now states 'Generic' on all three where it states 'Expansion' on the backup device. For now that doesn't worry me.
    I'm thinking of ordering a second HC1, first to see if it behaves the same or differently than my current HC1 and second to keep it as a hardware backup.

To update the firmware I downloaded the update file in your link (for other which are struggling with the same issue: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/software/jms578_fw_update). Afterwards I ran this command:

Code
    ./JMS578FwUpdate -d /dev/sda -f ./JMS578_Hardkernel_v173.01.00.01.bin -b ./backup.bin

Followed by a power cycle (shutdown and disconnecting power for 10s). All good so far.

This created a new issue, the HDD is spinning down immediately instead of after 10 minutes as defined in OMV.

Than I ran the command with -t 0 parameter which should disable the spin-down timer. Did a power cycle and changed the spin-down time in OMV, issue remains.

Lastly I ran the command with -t 10 parameter which should set the spin-down timer to 10 minutes. Did a power cycle and disabled the spin-down time in OMV, issue remains.

Something to dig in on the Hardkernel forums...

At least I'm happy not being the first that needs to sell a "SATA-less" HC1 :D

• I have the same problem by not showing up the name and vendor ID of the drive with my HC1. But to be honest, I give a big shi* on this matter. Everything else runs fine and I’m really happy with the Odroid. So I leave everything like it is.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!