I think I have permissions problems, but I have no idea how to fix it

• So I'm still pretty much a noob when it comes to linux and NAS management. I've only ever installed and lightly used lunix OSs on desktops but I never really had to deal with permissions.I've gone ahead and reinstallled my OMV server for the 3rd time because I keep messing things up. I think I've learned a lot and am getting the hang of how docker works and not mounting shared folders, but instead the files physical locations, and other best practices, but I still feel pretty dumb trying to fix some issues.

Anyway, my permissions seem to keep resetting for my media folder. When I open ACL, it shows blank for owner and group and does not allow guests, but the box comes up red and requires me to set an owner and group. I keep setting it to root and users, which another shared folder is set to and does not have any issues. I also tried setting the owner to the user that my docker containers are run as, yet it still keeps restting daily. This means that Plex cannot access any of the media files and SMB cannot access them either. I usually keep the folders to allow guest access because I'm the only one on my network who will be accessing the server (my roomate doesn't even know what the server does, just that it allows us to use plex lol)

I have no idea what I would need to do to fix this. I've seen stuff about going into the command line to set permissions but I'm not really sure if thats what I need to do.

Some other info that may help:
    I first installed OMV and built a raid 10 setup, then added files to shared folders using SMB. I've since reinstalled OMV a few times and each time just mounted the already built RAID system and the same shared folders so my media was still there. Not sure if this has anything to do with these persmissions issues.

• When you ssh into your server and start creating directories or modify them as the root user they will automatically change to root the problem is when you set them for docker you probably gave them access to your admin account depending on your PUID PGID

You can find them by using id admin and id root.

Now if you used the admin account for me is PUID 998 and PGID 100 you need to ssh into your server and do a chown admin:users folder/

folder/ is the path to the folder you want to change the permissions, the thing is if you set up PLEX docker, you defenetly had to set the PUID and PGID now the media folder should have the same owner for plex to have read and write access

• Okay so I went ahead a tried this. This is the exact command I used:

chown user1:users /srv/dev-disk-by-label-CompanionCube/Media/

My docker containers use the user "user1," however I am using the Plex plugin and not the plex docker becuase I have not been been able to access docker containers outside of my network (thats a seperate issue I need to resolve).
    So when I set the owner to user1, Plex still could not access it. I then changed the settings in ACL to allow others and now Plex is able to access the media. However I am curious to see if these changes will reset again. Does doing it in the ACL windows not make it permanant where as using the chown command should stay that way? Just curious if I should not be using the ACL window provided in the openmediavault control panel becuase it doesn't seem to apply the changes properly.

One more thing: Does the recursive option have any affect on this? Would you recommend I set "Apply permissions to files and subfolders?"

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!