New to OMV and Rasberry pi 3 b+

• Agricola wrote:

Do you mean shared folder ACLs?
      Yes.

Agricola wrote:

Can you please explain why?
      Because they are a terrible afterthought added to Linux to try and fit the Windows permissions model.

Agricola wrote:

I have found that in life the devil is in the details, and little things like ACL settings can mean the difference between success or failure in setting up a home NAS.
      Not sure why. I have using Linux as a samba server (and more) for over 15 years in home and production environments and never needed ACLs.
      omv 4.1.15 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.13
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • I'll try it without them then and see how it goes. I am at the early stages of this project and haven't really committed any vital data to my shares yet.

Should I also stick with Samba alone and not worry about setting up Apple Filing too? My Macs seem to be working fine with the Samba shares. I decided to run a Odroid-xu4 with Ubuntu Mate, just for fun to see what the Linux thing is all about. Haven't got it up to sharing yet but I haven't tried very hard. A bit off topic. Sorry.

Thanks.
      Retired. Love to garden and mess with computers. The more I mess with both the less I know about either.
      OMV 4.1.14-1, Odroid hc2 w/ 4TB WD Blue.
    • Agricola wrote:

Should I also stick with Samba alone and not worry about setting up Apple Filing too? My Macs seem to be working fine with the Samba shares
      Yep, I wouldn't worry about AFP since Apple is moving toward using samba.

Agricola wrote:

I decided to run a Odroid-xu4 with Ubuntu Mate, just for fun to see what the Linux thing is all about. Haven't got it up to sharing yet but I haven't tried very hard.
      It is pretty easy.
      omv 4.1.15 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.13
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Users Online 1

1 Guest