Raspberry pi 3 model b+, network port never starts

• Hi!

Had a few externals lying around and got an rpi for free so I wanted to build a NAS with it for fun. Problem is that OMV never starts the network port it seems, no blinking lights and the cable works fine, tested with a laptop and desktop. Red LED is stable and green works too. I have no compatible keyboards to use the console at this time as I only have a Ducky One TKL and a Qpad MK-85 so I can't give you the log files for the moment, I do have a picture of the boot screen though: https://imgur.com/a/qnKhBMZ

Anyone have any clue what to do?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You might want to follow this thread - OMV fails to start a web server

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Problem is that OMV never starts the network port it seems, no blinking lights and the cable works fine, tested with a laptop and desktop

OMV does not start network ports since that's the job of kernel + hardware.

Unfortunately the hardware you use is crap (think about why you got this thing for free). The manufacturer of this board chose a defective network chip that can't cope with usual situations like 'two GbE capable devices on both ends of the cable but the cable missing the 2 additional data pairs for Gigabit Ethernet'. Same problem will happen if the cable is slightly damaged.

Quoting an RPi Trading employee:

Sadly, as far as we know, the LAN7800 chip doesn't support a fallback mode to 100Mbit/s should the extra pairs not be available. There is still an open enquiry with Microchip over this. If you are missing the pairs then the link will simply not come up

They chose an USB Ethernet chip being broken by design and also performing crappy in most environments. And all they do about these problems is blaming the chip vendor they chose obviously without testing anything prior to product launch (BTW: same sh*t show now with their broken PoE HAT).

In OMV we try to deal with this by forcing the network interface to Fast Ethernet mode (then only needing 2 and not 4 cable pairs) but honestly I don't know whether this workaround also helps in a situation with a 'Fast Ethernet' cable between the RPi 3 B+ and another GbE capable port (be it a router, switch or other computer).

At least this would be the first thing I would check: If the cable used has all 4 cable pairs wired (8 wires in total). If not and the other end of the cable is a GbE port it most probably will never work.

The best variant to proceed since you were talking about 'few externals lying around' is to throw the RPi away and start with something reliable. Adding a single USB disk to an RPi is already a mistake, adding more than one is simply insane.

• Before anything, I only do this as a hobby project to fiddle around with stuff, I'm not intending to use the pi as any serious thing, once I'm not a university student anymore I'll get myself a real NAS solution.

So if I get this right, if I have a router capable of Gigabit and the pi is by design Gigabit, then it won't work? Or do you mean that if the cable itself can't by design or damage deliver Gigabit then it will fail?

All my cables have all pairs and they are capable of delivering Gigabit, at least I get 900/900 using speedtest with all four cables I have at home so nothing seems broken in them and I don't want to cut them up to look.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!