Upgrading from OMV 3 to OMV 4

• So I was thinking about upgrading OMV from 3 to 4.

Is 4 still in beta?

Is adding my currently existing ZFS pool as simple as "importing pool"?

I have about 600 torrents perma-seeded with deluge. Is it possible to export the .torrent files before I format the OS drive?

TY in advance.

Case: U-NAS NSC-810
    Motherboard: ASRock - C236 WSI Mini ITX
    CPU: Core i7-6700
    Memory: 32GB Crucial DDR4-2133

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is 4 still in beta?

Nope. 3.x is actually EOL'd.

Is adding my currently existing ZFS pool as simple as "importing pool"?

If you are upgrading, you shouldn't even need to do that.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Nope. 3.x is actually EOL'd.

If you are upgrading, you shouldn't even need to do that.

Thanks for the quick reply as always :)

Is there any way to export all of my torrents, or will I have to manually re-download the torrent files from the trackers? There's like 600 of them so I'm really hoping that I don't have to do the latter lol...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there any way to export all of my torrents, or will I have to manually re-download the torrent files from the trackers? There's like 600 of them so I'm really hoping that I don't have to do the latter lol...

Sorry, I don't know anything about that.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• When did that happen? What's the procedure for upgrading?Thanks

Debian Jessie, the basis for OMV 3.x, went EOL in mid June 2018. I don't remember how much later OMV 3 went EOL, but it was either not much later or at the same time.

EOL means no more updates. It doesn't mean you can't continue to use it. Debian will offer long term support (LTS) for Jessie until 30 June 2020, so by configuring to use the LTS repos, you can stay "current" with respect to Debian Jessie. But there will be no more support from OMV for OMV 3.x.

Search the forum for the update 3.x to 4.x procedure. It's fairly easily doable if you plan for it properly.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I installed OMV 4 on a spare HDD today just to play with it. A few things about 4 concern me. First, the only torrent client on there is transmission. I'm more of a deluge person and I wish there would be a plugin for ruTorrent. I've not had any luck using docker for some reason. Also there's no sensors for 4. I like as I'm sure others do to monitor temps in my machine, especially when doing cpu intensive tasks.

• If there is a future with you and OMV you are going to have to get docker working.

One of the problems with the Sensors plugin, besides the author not having a lot of time to continue supporting it, is that as the amount of hardware out there that is being used with OMV grows, the ability to support it all declines. It's an untenable situation and I do not see it improving any time soon.

The server centric motherboards have a lot going for them as far as sensor monitoring goes. My ASRock Rack C2550D4I has decent CPU temperature and fan speed coverage. Doesn't your C236 WSI have some of that too?

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

is it possible to backup my omv sensors graph data before making this transition?

I would backup the entire OS drive.

• If there is a future with you and OMV you are going to have to get docker working.

One of the problems with the Sensors plugin, besides the author not having a lot of time to continue supporting it, is that as the amount of hardware out there that is being used with OMV grows, the ability to support it all declines. It's an untenable situation and I do not see it improving any time soon.

The server centric motherboards have a lot going for them as far as sensor monitoring goes. My ASRock Rack C2550D4I has decent CPU temperature and fan speed coverage. Doesn't your C236 WSI have some of that too?

I guess I've got no choice but to get it working. I followed a guide a while back that someone else was kind enough to post for ruTorrent and it didn't work. Perhaps that was because I was running OMV 3. I'll most likely give it another shot next weekend. The only plugins that I really use with OMV are Plex, ZFS, Sensors, Deluge and Duplicati. If I could just figure out ruTorrent (or Deluge) for docker I'd be golden. My board does handle it's own temperatures quite well, but I guess I just like to occasionally scan for abnormalities in temperatures with OMV using the graphs.

I would backup the entire OS drive.

I will for now. I actually purchased another SSD drive. I'll intermittently boot into that drive to play with configurations and such. Once I get it to where I want it to be, I'll make that my primary boot drive and I guess clone it to the older drive as backup in case one of the boot drives fail.

• I run 14 dockers here and have no trouble with any of them. These include Plex and Deluge.

The most common problems seen with dockers are that the user does not understand the docker fundamentals needed to have valid configurations. Most of these difficulties are centered on an inadequate understanding of some core Linux concepts such as users, groups, and filesystem ownership and permissions.

--

• I run 14 dockers here and have no trouble with any of them. These include Plex and Deluge.

The most common problems seen with dockers are that the user does not understand the docker fundamentals needed to have valid configurations. Most of these difficulties are centered on an inadequate understanding of some core Linux concepts such as users, groups, and filesystem ownership and permissions.

That may be the problem. I mean I kind of grasped permissions for users and groups. Docker just seems overwhelming to me for some reason, not sure why. This weekend though I'll be playing with it for sure as I'll be off from work for a few days.

When I first made my ZFS pool, I had to run a few commands in order to be able to set file permissions. Will I need to run these commands again so that any new files written to the poll will have the same attributes as the already existing files?

zfs set aclinherit=passthrough XXXX
    zfs set acltype=posixacl XXXX
    zfs set xattr=sa XXXX

• Offizieller Beitrag

When I first made my ZFS pool, I had to run a few commands in order to be able to set file permissions. Will I need to run these commands again so that any new files written to the poll will have the same attributes as the already existing files?
    zfs set aclinherit=passthrough XXXX
    zfs set acltype=posixacl XXXX
    zfs set xattr=sa XXXX

I read the errata on the latest "ZFS on Linux" pool type, and I didn't notice changes to posix permissions.

I would run them again, after installing the latest plugin but before adding new content.
    The reasons being;
    - If you don't, permissions set on the existing files/folders in the pool and child filesystems would still be there, but it's possible that new files and folders may have Solaris type permissions
    - There's no downside. If the above properties are already set, running the command lines won't have any effect. If changes are needed, they'll be changed.

• I read the errata on the latest "ZFS on Linux" pool type, and I didn't notice changes to posix permissions.
    I would run them again, after installing the latest plugin but before adding new content.
    The reasons being;
    - If you don't, permissions set on the existing files/folders in the pool and child filesystems would still be there, but it's possible that new files and folders may have Solaris type permissions
    - There's no downside. If the above properties are already set, running the command lines won't have any effect. If changes are needed, they'll be changed.

Thanks (You don't have to wait 11 months for this one lol). I don't think I can run them before adding the new content though I just realized because XXXX = the name of my pool (which is Home) but Home will not exist until I pop in the data drives, unless I am wrong?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks (You don't have to wait 11 months for this one lol). I don't think I can run them before adding the new content though I just realized because XXXX = the name of my pool (which is Home) but Home will not exist until I pop in the data drives, unless I am wrong?

Again,, it's all good. :D

Yes, the pool must "exist", meaning the drives would need to be plugged in and the pool visible in OMV's GUI. This information, the settings, are written to the pool. It's part of the pool's configuration. Again, it may not even be necessary to do it.

However, in the event that the new plugin stores data with "ZOL" default parameters, you'd have files with mixed permission attributes. Since there's no penalty for doing it, with the new plugin installed and the drives plugged in, it's easy enough to run the set commands to be sure they're in place.

If you're looking to be able to back out, running the set commands won't force you to commit to the newer version of the plugin.
    If you want to test the waters for awhile, running the old pool with the new plugin (and OMV version), just don't upgrade the pool and you'll be able to back out.

Upgrading the pool is a one way street - permanent.

• Thanks I shall bear this in mind.

One thing I'm noticing though....I'm now using a 120GB SSD as my OS drive. However, when I install OMV it seems to automatically partition it to around 80GB with couple of smaller and unused partitions. Any idea why this happens?

• Offizieller Beitrag

One thing I'm noticing though....I'm now using a 120GB SSD as my OS drive. However, when I install OMV it seems to automatically partition it to around 80GB with couple of smaller and unused partitions. Any idea why this happens?

That one would be best answered by the Dev's - RE the OMV4 install scripts. I use USB drives so the setup is much smaller, no swap, etc.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!