Running Desktop Environment in Docker Plugin

• Hi there!

I would like to have an desktop environment on my omv. Since the machine is near to my TV, I would like to connect it via HDMI (mainly for streaming videos from browser).

I have learned, it's not recommended to install a desktop environment over omv. I also read in several forums, that it would be possible to start DE from a docker image. But here I'm stuck to run it properly. I already installed docker-gui plugin. I was also able to download a docker image (mviereck/x11). But I didn't manage to get it to work. Can someone walk me through proper configuration of the docker image and explain me how to get an working DE?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Running a desktop environment is something for a virtual machine not a docker. A docker is meant for a single, headless service.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I'm confused. Here and here it sound like it should work in docker. And as far as I understood it right, using docker means no perforformance loss compared to a VM.

But for 90% of my needs it would be sufficient to run a browser (chrome, firefox). How could I achieve that? Would it be possible to output it then via HDMI to my TV?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm confused. Here and here it sound like it should work in docker. And as far as I understood it right, using docker means no perforformance loss compared to a VM.

I didn't say it wasn't possible. I said you shouldn't do it. You connect to it via x-forwarding which can have performance penalties especially when connecting from another system. So, what you gain in performance using docker, you lose in x-forwarding.

But for 90% of my needs it would be sufficient to run a browser (chrome, firefox). How could I achieve that? Would it be possible to output it then via HDMI to my TV?

In order to display a desktop environment or browser or whatever on a tv from your OMV system, you would need a full desktop environment installed (not recommended) negating the need for docker. Just buy a cheap arm board, run a desktop distro on it and connect that to your tv. No need to do anything ugly.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• as far as I understand you, your plan is to install KODI ( to see movies on your TV) & OMV in the same hardware. is it?

In general, yes. But as I wrote, a simple browser would be sufficient. I know, that I can stream movies from OMV to my TV over Plex or Emby. What I additionally want is to be able to stream movies directly from browser (which runs on my OMV hardware) and output it to TV via HDMI.

• especially when connecting from another system

But I don't want to connect from another system. I want to have graphic and sound output from OMV hardware over HDMI

In order to display a desktop environment or browser or whatever on a tv from your OMV system, you would need a full desktop environment installed (not recommended) negating the need for docker.

OK. My assumption was, that all desktop components are inside the container (I'm very new to docker). Thx for clarification. I didn't want additional hardware, since my omv machine is right next to my TV. Seems, that I have to use my laptop in future for streaming browser movies.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But I don't want to connect from another system. I want to have graphic and sound output from OMV hardware over HDMI

What you want and what you should do are two different things. In order to hdmi output, you pretty much need to have a desktop environment. At that point it doesn't matter if you use a VM or not but the VM complicates things.

Is that the way to achieve what I want?

No. You should use OMV for storage. A client (such as an RPi running openelec) should access files from OMV and display them on your screen. Personally, I use FireTV boxes with kodi side loaded reading files from nfs on my OMV box.

• I think I found a solution. I will go either for a dualboot setup or install omv in a VM inside of a DE installation. I prefer the dualboot solution since it hapens rather rare that I need the DE. Thx for your help guys! :thumbup:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!